Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2018 5:04:02 PM EDT
Hello All,
I am a long time reader but not much experience with posting. Forgive me if this isn't the correct forum.

I'll start off with the facts: I am a college student so the budget is tight, but It is winter in Michigan and school is in full swing so I have a while before I will probably shoot outdoors again anyway.
My goal is to build a Sub MOA rifle shooting mag length handloads for paper between 1-300 yards. I will probably shoot for 77gr SMKs and a 1:7 twist. I am limited in range selection and skill beyond that. Weight isn't an issue as this will be a bench rifle for the majority of the time. Maybe a prone varmint rifle.

I built a Rifle some time ago, and I am stealing the upper for this build and slapping the lower on my Franklin Arms .450 Upper for a general purpose deer rifle. The upper I want to stick with is a Aero Precision M4E1 Enhanced upper and 15" MLOK Hanguard. I am building a fresh lower from a spikes forged lower I got as a gift.

My main questions are these:

PRS Cost Vs. A2?

What barrel in the 250 dollar range? I have heard CLE chambers are very nice, however most of their offerings are above my $$ range. My current upper is a 223 Wylde. Would a 5.56 Chamber be better in the long run? I have read pages and pages of reviews comparing WOA, CLE, Criterion, BA, and Faxon. My first choice right now is a 20" Larue Stealth with the Larue adjustable gas block. I also found a 4150 18" BA SPR Ops 12 barrel with a 1:7 twist ( https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Ballistic-Advantage-18-SPR-5-56-1-7-Barrel-Rifle-p/ba-bl556020m.htm ) For $120 Shipped locally.

Lower Ideas:
Spikes Forged Lower
BCM LPK Minus FCG
LaRue MBT-2- I am open to ideas however.

Here is the Rub- I have wanted a Magpul PRS for a while, however at this point for < 300 yards would my money be better spent elsewhere and Just go with an A2?

Upper Build Ideas:
M4E1 Enhanced
PSA BCG
Vortex Viper 4-12x40, Leupold Mark 2 One Piece Mount (Already Have)
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#1]
And, also, for practicality's sake I want to stick with 223 or 5.56. If I had more money for ammo I would look at 6.5 but It is a bit pricey, even reloading. I essentially want to push the most accuracy I can out of a budget gun (doesn't everyone?)
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#2]
.223 wylde chambers often are more accurate than 5.56 chambers.

I was actually going to recommend a larue stealth barrel I had a 14.5 and it was sub 3/4" all day long with handloads.

Larue MBT-2s all the way

PRS stock is crazy heavy and expensive but what ever floats your boat.

I would go with a stock that has nice cheek weld before an A2 (ie. Magpul STR or ACS) it makes a very noticeable difference in shooting.

77's are the tried and true standard there are alot of new options out there but hard to beat the 77's for an easily tuneable load.

LC brass
8208xbr powder (22.5-24gr) 23.2 is a known good node for many people
CCI 450's
and 77 smk's seated 2.245"

If it won't shoot with that then it's you!
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:51:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#3]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#4]
For the price I'd give faxon a try I have an 18in heavy fluted .223 wylde shooting 69gr prvi partisans and that thing is a laser beam
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Green Mountain barrels. I have an 18in 223 wylde sub moa Ive had it out to 700 yards barrel was $200
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#6]
What does the PRS do that an A2 doesn’t?  Costs more, introduces more variables.  I see no advantage.

As far as barrels, to me modern machining has leveled the playing field to a yuuge degree.  Go with a reputable brand and you’ll be fine.

Ammo, trigger, optics is where you’ll get the most bang for your buck in my opinion
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I went White Oak, G2S-E (Brownells SSA-E equivalent but $135 instead of way over $200), and PST 6-24.  The rest is pretty basic stuff.  Including an A2 stock.

Yes, I "splurged" on a faxon carbon fiber handguard, but it was an introductory sale Rainier had and it was under 2 bills.  So it wasn't a whole lot more than I would have spent on a similar, much heavier one, and since the barrel is already a fat piggy, I opted for it.  

Spend the money on barrel, trigger, and glass.  The rest is pretty moot, as long as you're not buying chinese pot-metal total crap.

A2 stock will work *FINE*.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top