Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2019 4:06:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 101stCurrahee]
New reloader, looking for a recommendation on a quick brass prep center. I just loaded 500 .308 by hand and well....it sucked. Resizing/decapping is relaxing and no big deal, as is powder charging and bullet seating. However the brass prep kills me.

I was drawn to the Hornday one for the easy clean up of the vertical set up but read some pretty terrible reviews on it.

Is RCBS a good go to one? Speed is what I'm after, not precision. When I get into developing an accurate load I'll do it by hand but right now I just want to crank out the 4,500 rounds left I have to do. I like that you can clean primer pockets and chamfer while its trimming a case at the same time. Any other ones to look at or should I just get the RCBS?

Thanks

Edit: Sorry for posting this in precision section. I couldn't find the standard reloading section
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I have this one.
And it's decent for the money.
https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Platinum-Hardened-Scrapers/dp/B00HS7JEB4?psc=1&;SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-exp-c-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00HS7JEB4
If I had to do it again I would get this.
https://www.giraudtool.com/giraud-tri-way-trimmer.html
It trims, chamfers and deburrs all in one swoop.
But you need a drill press or hand drill.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#2]
After years of using different types, I found a drill with whatever part attachet to it Is way quicker.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the RCBS Universal Case Prep Center. It works very well for me since I do not take the time to use wet tumbling. That makes brushing the necks and the primer pockets useful, which in turn makes the "overlap" between trimming and other prep more useful.

The RCBS holds the cases in a more repeatable position than I ever could when using a trimmer that indexes off the shoulder (WFT). The micro-adjustment allows trimming the odd case to more or less match the size/shape of others that do not yet need trimming.

The prep center must be bench mounted of course, and pressing down the lever does take some effort.

But using the other case prep tools with the case held vertically doesn't seem to take as much toll on my grip as holding them horizontally. IOW, my hands don't hurt after trimming as few as 150 cases. YMMV.

On balance, I think it's a good tool and works well for me. Do think through your whole case prep process . . . an automated trimmer, especially on a progressive, and SS tumbling/drying may work quicker and with less total effort.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 6:08:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 101stCurrahee] [#4]
I used the Lyman hand trimmer for 1-200 then got a drill attachment for the next few hundred. It was incredibly slow and aggravating. The part of the RCBS I like is the hands free deal where it's putting the same pressure on each round. I don't have to guess if I should be pressing harder or softer. That was a big issue on the Lyman and eventually I burned through 3 set screws. It lead to the pilot getting stuck in every case and having to be fished out. I finally just took it back.

That tri way is cool. I think RCBS makes an attachment for that. Whatever I get will be electric and not powered by drill. I think that narrows it down to just a few of the top companies.

Right now I'm dry tumbling and using a single stage press. I can fly through rounds on the SS press and since brass prep seems to be 90% of my time an electric one sounds like a better investment than a progressive at this point. I don't mind doing one at a time but hand prepping the brass is murder.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I use the RCBS trim pro electric case trimmer and the prep center(can be combined in one now days) I think the RCBS with a 3 cutter head is still the most consistent trimmer while being decently fast, the biggest deal is it measures every single case from the case head versus from the shoulder like most of the others...I spend enough time trying to make my brass as consistent as possible from case to case that I don't need to add in shoulder setback consistency stack as a factor for my trimming accuracy.....I also never have an issue with hands/fingers cramping up trying to hold cases...I also use a manual trim pro for neck turning...The prep center I really only use for uniforming primer pockets and flash holes anymore..the 3 way cutter on the trimmer is the nutz for trimming/chamfering....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 9:06:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 101stCurrahee] [#7]
Just ordered it before I saw that $100 cheaper one. Oh well, guess it'll work.

Just trying to crank out cheap plinking ammo for inside 300m as fast as possible. Anything I want beyond 1-2moa and beyond 300m I'll do slowly by hand.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 9:26:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Let me see if I can explain this better... The RCBS I posted is called a lathe trimmer, it sets the cases trim length based off the case head (the flat surface where the primer goes) and thus all cases are trimmed based off that  measurement..case head to neck mouth.. Most of the fast trimmers use the cases shoulder(where the case necks down to hold the bullet) to set trim length off..thus when you take fired cases and resize them for reloading you actually "bump" that shoulder back, the problem is many times the distance between that shoulder and the case head varies from case to case even when the best methods and equipment is used......meaning the trim length will vary as well...thus "stacking" tolerances. Do both work fine for loading ammo..yes, but the trimmers that locate from the shoulder will generally trim faster then a lathe trimmer that locates from the case head, but the case head located trimmer will generally produce better consistency when done right..As for which is best for you..well that is a choice you will have to make...

Here is a pic of the above trimmer cutting a case...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 7:41:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#9]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
That consistency thing is all the lathe trimmers cling to to try and say they are better. I have a Giraud and have used a Gracy both which work off the shoulder and cases are within .001 in length when sized. If you are properly sizing then your shoulders should be basically the same hence the OAL should be also. You will not see a difference on paper between the two but you will see in the speed of trimming. Last lot I did was 900 pieces of brass and I trim, chamfered and deburred all within an hour and a half.

I don't care if people use lathe  trimmers but don't try and fool yourself it's a better way that will show up a difference on target. I would rather be done faster and be able to shoot.
View Quote
Proper use of either tool in good condition will produce similar results on paper. IMO, the issue isn't which is better on paper, it's which one works better for the individual reloader.

My hands simply cramp up using (eg) a WFT to trim. I also find it difficult to hold each case at the same angle and using the same pressure, case after case. Neither of these things occur FOR ME with a lathe trimmer. The lathe trimmer and its other tools also fit in better with my regimen which includes dry tumbling.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the explanation. That makes a lot more sense now.

I don’t think I’m going to need a progressive after buying the prep center. I realized I prepped 1500 brass in just a few days after work each day without it.

I want to shoot a lot but even on a single stage I’ll end up having loaded more rounds out of boredom after work than I have time to shoot on the weekend.

Maybe if I start reloading 9mm
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I'm already disappointed in RCBS. Arrived with one of the cheap plastic set screws sheared off inside. Back it goes... Some day I'll get these cases ready.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Lyman Universal trimmer that I've had for 30 years. Converted it to cordless screwdriver drive a long time ago. I can trim a s*(&load of cases in a n hour or so. I also have a RCBS electric prep station that is about as old. After depriming with a ss press and tumbling, I trim on the Lyman and clean primer pockets and deburr and chamfer on the RCBS tool. I've developed a routine that allows me to be able to get 300-400 cases ready over the space of an evening or two after dinner. Another session with the reloading press nets me a bunch of ammo for the next few shooting sessions. Anymore though I mostly reload for precision/hunting ammo and buy my cheap blaster stuff online. I do have a Lee Pro 1000 set up for 9mm bulk loading that works a charm for me.

Every reloader will eventually decide on a regimen that works best for them via a little trial and error. You will to.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 11:38:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 44-40pro:
nymore though I mostly reload for precision/hunting ammo and buy my cheap blaster stuff online. .
View Quote
Unfortunately I live in communist Russia and its not legal to buy ammo online. The new ammo ban is the whole reason I got into reloading in a hurry.

Although I think it will work out great for me. When I have free time I cant sit on the couch doing nothing. I have a feeling when I get set up I'm going to have more ammunition than I've had my entire life out of sheer boredom.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 101stCurrahee:

Unfortunately I live in communist Russia and its not legal to buy ammo online. The new ammo ban is the whole reason I got into reloading in a hurry.

Although I think it will work out great for me. When I have free time I cant sit on the couch doing nothing. I have a feeling when I get set up I'm going to have more ammunition than I've had my entire life out of sheer boredom.
View Quote
I think you are right. When I started reloading it was for better accuracy. Factory guns and ammo giving you 3 or better moa was not common. We reloaded to get into the 1-2 or better moa range. As a side benefit it reduced costs by a decent margin. As a consequence, I did not spend any less money on ammo and components, BUT I did get to shoot approximately 40% more total rounds down range. This helped to make me a better shooter as much as anything else. Sympathies for living in commiefornia. Reloading will likely help you as it helped me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 7:20:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 101stCurrahee] [#18]
Take it as a sign and return it.
View Quote
I should have taken it as a sign and not asked for a replacement.  This thing seems like a useless pile of shit to me.

Constantly needs to be adjusted. My case lengths jump from 2.002 to 2.018 despite everything being tightened down. The thing uses such heavy springs the pressure leaves a big flat brass ring on the case mouth that takes 3 weeks to chamfer and debur. It's actually quicker to do by hand, plus they don't all come out like shit.

Second RCBS going back, 4th brass prep tool.

Might try that Gerard one next.

Edit: RCBS QC is really slipping. They installed the bushings wrong on this one.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Sometimes things happen for a reason. Just did 50 rounds with the Trim it II and I can’t believe how much better it is.

Incredible fast, all within .001 or less, and the chamfer/deburring is faaaar better. Plus $120 over $450. So happy I was able to return the second rcbs.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Cool. The Trim It works just like the Giraud and is fast and easy and why I recommended it earlier. Glad you got it set up and fast prep now.
View Quote
Thanks for the advice. The only reason I finally decided on trim it vs giraud is the ease of swapping calibers vs buying a new one for each.

Every now and again I get one of the ones I did with the rcbs. Nasty swirl marks from the pilot slipping, horrible jagged edges and sharpness. Bleh.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top