Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Bore scope (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Got mine today.  Simple to use and works good.  The focus is adjusted by screwing the mirror in or out to adjust it's distance to the lens.  Because the mirror is slightly off center I had to experiment with the exact spot I locked the mirror down to sort of center the mirror view in the center if the screen.  Across probably 350-300 degrees of the mirror's rotation on the lens part of the mirror was off screen.

The only negative is the bright spot that's washed out in the image center by the camera's mini-LED lights.  I tried dabbing the lights with a black sharpie but the color altering of the Sharpie ink messed with color rendering.

I took some shots of my Daniel Defense M4V7LW bore as soon as I got the borescope.  The gas port and rifling looks worse than I expected for maybe 400 rounds total through it.  Check out the pics and tell me if this is normal or not.

Throat and leade.
Attachment Attached File

3 inches past the throat.
Attachment Attached File

8 inches past the throat.  The long, deep scratches concern me.
Attachment Attached File

Gas port.
Attachment Attached File

Debris field after the gas port.
Attachment Attached File

This is a fairly new Daniel Defense barrel with maybe 400 rounds of 55 grain XM193 clone stuff and a little 77 grain SMK Razor Core.  I was getting ready to work up some loads using 77 grain SMK's for magazine and 80 grain SMK's for single fed rounds.

Having seen the rifling I'm leaning toward a little prep with Tubbs Final Finish to smooth out the rough spots before bothering.  I figure as rough as some of that looks smoothing out the potholes will reduce copper fouling and help prolong accuracy.

Am I obsessing over small stuff or is that rifling bad enough to be worth trying to slick up?
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#2]
That looks just fine to me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:54:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lomshek:
Got mine today.  Simple to use and works good.  The focus is adjusted by screwing the mirror in or out to adjust it's distance to the lens.  Because the mirror is slightly off center I had to experiment with the exact spot I locked the mirror down to sort of center the mirror view in the center if the screen.  Across probably 350-300 degrees of the mirror's rotation on the lens part of the mirror was off screen.

The only negative is the bright spot that's washed out in the image center by the camera's mini-LED lights.  I tried dabbing the lights with a black sharpie but the color altering of the Sharpie ink messed with color rendering.

I took some shots of my Daniel Defense M4V7LW bore as soon as I got the borescope.  The gas port and rifling looks worse than I expected for maybe 400 rounds total through it.  Check out the pics and tell me if this is normal or not.

Throat and leade.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84345/DD_Throat_and_leade_jpg-1194350.JPG

3 inches past the throat.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84345/DD_Rifling_3_inches_in_jpg-1194354.JPG

8 inches past the throat.  The long, deep scratches concern me.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84345/DD_Rifling_8_inches_in_jpg-1194355.JPG

Gas port.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84345/DD_gas_port_jpg-1194356.JPG

Debris field after the gas port.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84345/DD_gas_port_debris_field_jpg-1194357.JPG

This is a fairly new Daniel Defense barrel with maybe 400 rounds of 55 grain XM193 clone stuff and a little 77 grain SMK Razor Core.  I was getting ready to work up some loads using 77 grain SMK's for magazine and 80 grain SMK's for single fed rounds.

Having seen the rifling I'm leaning toward a little prep with Tubbs Final Finish to smooth out the rough spots before bothering.  I figure as rough as some of that looks smoothing out the potholes will reduce copper fouling and help prolong accuracy.

Am I obsessing over small stuff or is that rifling bad enough to be worth trying to slick up?
View Quote
@Lomshek

You can adjust the brightness of the led's....The little box mounted on the USB cable has a small wheel adjuster on it..just spin the wheel...
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

@Lomshek

You can adjust the brightness of the led's....The little box mounted on the USB cable has a small wheel adjuster on it..just spin the wheel...
View Quote
Yep I saw that.  This is with it at the lowest setting.  I think it would look better if I could dial it down maybe 25% more.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
That looks just fine to me.
View Quote
At the high end would a Krieger or Bartlein barrel have better looking rifling and gas port erosion or is that just the nature of that many rounds down the bore?

Guess I would have expected smoother rifling from hard chrome with that few rounds.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, Kriegers and Bartleins look perfect inside, but even the gas ports on them look like that after a few rounds.

I’m going to experiment with some different t ways of drilling/reaming ports and see if it works any better.

Chrome doesn’t cover up or fill imperfections, it’s just a coating.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
Yeah, Kriegers and Bartleins look perfect inside, but even the gas ports on them look like that after a few rounds.

I’m going to experiment with some different t ways of drilling/reaming ports and see if it works any better.

Chrome doesn’t cover up or fill imperfections, it’s just a coating.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#8]
To all the bore scope owners remember, in the end, it's how the gun shoots that really counts.  No barrel will ever look perfect and even less so after it's been shot a bit.  I have some barrels that look like a rusted stovepipe per the borescope but still shoot sub MOA.  I use the scope more to look for carbon ring formation than for spotting every little imperfection.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Purchased one skeptically, pleasantly surprised by the clarity and easy hookup to my laptop.
Like some posted previously, getting a second one to have on hand just incase.
Still playing around with trying to get it working on my Android phone and tablet, not sure which app to get for them,tried 3 different ones with no luck so far.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 9:25:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Crowkiller] [#10]
Thanks for the recommendation guys. I ordered one, and so far I've verified a suspicion about a 22 lr barrel. It would throw cold bore flyers, even during a match if it cooled enough between strings.

My internet research made me suspect a buildup of carbon and lead in the leade. I scrubbed the chamber and got out lots of lead slivers. It quit the cold bore flyers. I've shot about 50 rounds since then.
Sure enough, the bore scope is showing a carbon ring with lead just at the cartridge mouth. My CZ, which doesn't have flyer problems, had no such buildup even after hundreds of rounds.

I'm also finding poor finishes in cheap barrels, and great finishes in custom barrels. Even a lowly ER Shaw looks dramatically better than a factory Remington or Savage.

Chamber reamers almost universally leave scratches though!
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#11]
It is currently on sale for $39.99 with $10 savings for Prime members.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 10:52:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#12]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Bore scope (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top