Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2019 9:21:16 PM EDT
Getting around 3/4 MOA average out of handloads out of my 700 Police in 308. Trying to get .5 MOA consistently. I skim bedded action, got Leupold rings, Leupold Mark 4 scope, NF base. I just tried the magic marker trick on the back of the bolt lugs and noticed that only 1/3 of one bolt lug is actually making contact.

Do y’all think that a good bolt lapping job will improve its accuracy?

Thanks Billy
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:55:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By billyxm15:
Getting around 3/4 MOA average out of handloads out of my 700 Police in 308. Trying to get .5 MOA consistently. I skim bedded action, got Leupold rings, Leupold Mark 4 scope, NF base. I just tried the magic marker trick on the back of the bolt lugs and noticed that only 1/3 of one bolt lug is actually making contact.

Do y’all think that a good bolt lapping job will improve its accuracy?

Thanks Billy
View Quote

I have a 1996 vintage 700 pss in 308, leupy scope, mount and rings.  If i do my part it will shoot one hole groups. The trick was finding the right load for it, neck sizing the brass, etc.   some factory match ammo will shoot almost as good as my handloads, but not quite.  What bullets/load are you using?
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:33:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billyxm15] [#2]
168 SMK w/ Varget and 175 SMK w/ IMR 4064. 175 shoot slightly better. Lapua brass w/ 175’s, FGMM brass w/ 168’s.

Thinking of trying 155 Lapua Scenars.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:03:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By billyxm15:
168 SMK w/ Varget and 175 SMK w/ IMR 4064. 175 shoot slightly better. Lapua brass w/ 175’s, FGMM brass w/ 168’s.

Thinking of trying 155 Lapua Scenars.
View Quote
Solid choices there.  My rifle likes the 169 SMK and H380 powder, varget was my next best powder.  It took me almost a year to get everything ironed out, now just put the cross hairs on the target and squeeze... bang.  Neck sizing the brass for that rifle made all the difference in the world.  I haven’t checked the bolt lugs on the one, but i did lap them on another 700 action I have.  I didn’t hurt the rifle, I neck size the brass in that rifle as well (different caliber).

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#5]
To the OP, no. Here’s the thing, if you lap the bolt lugs you will increase the headspace, and if the headspace is already on the looser side of things you can create excessive headspace.

If you really want to that you should do it right. Remove the barrel and go through the entire process of blueprinting the action. You will need the proper tools as well as a quality lathe. A gunsmith can do this if you really want it done.

Personally, unless you want to pit out the money to do it right I’d be satisfied with what you have. Your shot groups aren’t bad at all. A lot of people can’t hold that tight to start with.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Head space has to be horrifically out of spec. to be an issue. If it is increased a thousand or two by lapping,which will take a LOT of lapping there's no worry. Use only brass that has been shot in that rifle and neck size only. It's my opinion that head space is a scare tactic used by shyster smiths wanting your business. Read  "Hatcher's notebook" and learn about head space, it's very interesting.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 10:26:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SilencerMan] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 12741:
Head space has to be horrifically out of spec. to be an issue. If it is increased a thousand or two by lapping,which will take a LOT of lapping there's no worry. Use only brass that has been shot in that rifle and neck size only. It's my opinion that head space is a scare tactic used by shyster smiths wanting your business. Read  "Hatcher's notebook" and learn about head space, it's very interesting.
View Quote
The difference between a GO and NO GO gauge is only .004". A human hair is approx .003".

You may have a point if the chamber starts out at minimum length, however if it is anywhere close to the longer end of the headspace range then it would be easy to go too long by lapping the lugs.

The entire point of headspace is to ensure that ammunition made in any random factory will fit in a rifle made in any random factory and fire safely without rupturing the case.  Headspace is not a scare tactic, it is an important engineering principle for firearms design. Have you ever experienced a ruptured case?  Its not overly fun and can be dangerous.
Link Posted: 11/28/2019 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#8]
In the original posters case, a little lapping won't hurt or make unsafe his rifle. It may or may not affect his accuracy. To think that a small over the hypothetical max will result in catastrophe is silly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top