Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2019 12:09:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Effenpig]
Dont reload when you're tired

I can't comprehend how I didn't notice the obvious difference. I was throwing charges and trickling to weight.

I never have more than one powder at a time on my bench.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 12:12:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 12:23:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Yowza- are you ok?

I had a period of insomnia a while back, so I decided to use it reloading.  I didn’t have a kB, but I did end up disassembling a few hundred loaded rounds because I realized I couldn’t trust them. It’s waaaaay to easy to lose track of something when I’m tired.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 12:37:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:
Yowza- are you ok?

I had a period of insomnia a while back, so I decided to use it reloading.  I didn’t have a kB, but I did end up disassembling a few hundred loaded rounds because I realized I couldn’t trust them. It’s waaaaay to easy to lose track of something when I’m tired.
View Quote
Small piece of shrapnel above my lip but other than that I got lucky

Still bewildered I could make that big of a mistake after years of reloading and 10's of thousands of rounds
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 12:58:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn, glad you are ok ...Since most of my reloading is for large magnums, I get pretty anal about my reloading...scares the shit out of me to boom a boomer...
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 1:12:36 AM EDT
[#5]
OP, I’m sorry man.

I assume 4227 is a faster burning powder? For magnums?
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 1:35:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Effenpig] [#6]
Originally Posted By Infidel4life11:
OP, I’m sorry man.

I assume 4227 is a faster burning powder? For magnums?
View Quote
Yes. Its used in alot of the same applications as H110 like magnum handgun. I use it for 300blk subsonic
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 1:37:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Effenpig] [#7]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
Damn, glad you are ok ...Since most of my reloading is for large magnums, I get pretty anal about my reloading...scares the shit out of me to boom a boomer...
View Quote
I load up to 30-378 Wby

I've always been very careful too

I saw the powder jug and my brain said "that's it, that's 4064"

Scary

I've been wanting to rebarrel to 6.5 Creedmoor, maybe my subconscious did it...
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 1:49:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Glad you were not harmed. Be very careful,  smokeless powder makes a fine hand grenade of your rifles receiver, and it is right by your temple.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#9]
that bolt is done for. how's the receiver? still serviceable or did the self-disassembly get especially catastrophic?

glad you're ok.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#10]
This can happen to anyone so pay attention folks. The more you do something the higher the probability of a mistake.

I decided to make "Mexican Match" ammo one winter without doing a load work up. I was bored and had this bright idea. I was going to pull M80 7.62x51mm 147 grain FMJ bullets and replace them with 150 grain Sierra Match Kings. 1000 bullets later spring arrived and I went out into the world to test my new brainstorm.

Overpressure. That meant all that work was wasted and that I had to tear them down again, reduce the powder charge and reseat every bullet. I test small batches nowadays before making large runs of ammo. The chronograph is my friend. I double check and triple check everything and am still wondering if I made any mistakes until I fire the first rounds.

Once I used the starting load of Blue Dot powder in .41 Magnum loads and got wild velocity spreads and pierced primers. I double checked everything. Pulled ammo apart and weighed the charges to be sure. Everything was kosher. Shortly thereafter several reloading sources released warnings not to use Blue Dot in .41 Magnum. CCI replaced my 350 series primers saying that they had a batch that were "thin", but the real problem was that particular powder simply displayed unacceptable properties when loaded in this caliber.

Both of these fubars were close to thirty years ago but they still weigh on my mind. Unexpected consequences can and do happen.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Glad you're OK.
I appreciate you sharing this with us.  It's important to reinforce the absolute need to double and triple check what we're doing on the reloading bench.
Link Posted: 5/9/2019 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
that bolt is done for. how's the receiver? still serviceable or did the self-disassembly get especially catastrophic?

glad you're ok.
View Quote
I think the receiver is OK

Going to pull the barrel today probably

Any recommendations on accurate 6.5 remage barrels?
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 1:04:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I can relate to grabbing the wrong container of powder, and I didn't have fatigue to excuse me.  I used Reloader 10X for a 5-round initial test for a 75g 5.56 load where I thought I was using Reloader 15.  I have no idea how I snafu'd that.

Fortunately I didn't have effin's result.  My first shot through the chrono was 3058fps out of my 20" AR15 test mule.  My calculation indicated it should have been around 2600-2700fps.  My chrono and its setup have been very reliable, but I thought...gotta be the chrono.  Nothing bad had happened, and brass wasn't mangled.

The second shot chrono'd at 3044fps.  Whoa, that ain't good.  Brass had no primer.  Go back inside and reevaluate.  Sure enough...wrong powder.  The rifle, BCG, etc. all in good order.  It changed how I mark and handle my powders now, and I'd really have to be in a coma to screw it up...LOL!

Effin', we're all human, and it's good to see reports like this because I think it helps all of us to keep this in mind when reloading.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#14]
What are the details of the load? Charge weight, bullet, OAL.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#15]
What do you think of Remington's three rings of steel ?
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 11:37:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#16]
Hope everything is OK.  Remingtons can be replaced, eyeballs not so much.  

I follow the "only one powder on the benchtop" rule.  That powder stays on the bench behind my reloader as long as that powder is in my measure.  I also hang a post it note on my powder measure with the powder type, charge, and bullet weight.

I often set up the press and then reload as I get time, often over the course of a week or two, so it is good to have a visual reference, every time I walk up to the press.

I also tend to print out the current load from the manufacturer's website.  I hit print screen, open paint, cut out the load, and then print.  I write the bullet weight and powder drop on that sheet and have it by my press.  I then put these sheets in my reloading notebook for future reference.  I write the charge, bullet weight, primer type inside the lid of my cartridge box.

I see each of these actions as checks and balances to my aging brain.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Effenpig:

I think the receiver is OK

Going to pull the barrel today probably

Any recommendations on accurate 6.5 remage barrels?
View Quote
Easy, Columbia River Arms. Tell them you heard they were having a sale and they'll probably give you the 30% off even if the sale is over. You'll have to call them to get a discount and to order one for Remage.

I only use CRA barrels in my match rifles. I know for certain that they have a 6.5CM reamer. All >5 of my CRA barreled rifles are one-hole shooters. Polygonal rifling.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 1:05:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By hapjack:
What do you think of Remington's three rings of steel ?
View Quote
I'm a pretty big fan since I probably would be a lot worse off without it
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 1:07:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Effenpig] [#19]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
What are the details of the load? Charge weight, bullet, OAL.
View Quote
Not a real load!!!!!

175TMK, 41.8gr 4227, Hornady brass, 2.900"

Don't do this!!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 1:11:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Hope everything is OK.  Remingtons can be replaced, eyeballs not so much.  

I follow the "only one powder on the benchtop" rule.  That powder stays on the bench behind my reloader as long as that powder is in my measure.  I also hang a post it note on my powder measure with the powder type, charge, and bullet weight.

I often set up the press and then reload as I get time, often over the course of a week or two, so it is good to have a visual reference, every time I walk up to the press.

I also tend to print out the current load from the manufacturer's website.  I hit print screen, open paint, cut out the load, and then print.  I write the bullet weight and powder drop on that sheet and have it by my press.  I then put these sheets in my reloading notebook for future reference.  I write the charge, bullet weight, primer type inside the lid of my cartridge box.

I see each of these actions as checks and balances to my aging brain.
View Quote
Only one powder on the bench here too, unfortunately it was the wrong one

And it's not like I though the load called for 4227, I knew it was 4064 and my eyes saw 4064 even though the two powders look quite different (although the jugs do look pretty similar)
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 5:57:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#21]

Not a real load!!!!!

Don't do this!!!
View Quote
Thanks
No, I wanted to see what the pressure was.

It's about 101,000psi according to QL.
I would be thankful the action held together and retire it.

I see the bolt handle is missing and a hammer laying there how did you get the bolt open?
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 8:01:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Glad you are okay!

I did something similar years ago and grabbed the bottle of International Clays rather than Universal Clays.  I had a small kaboom in my Norinco 1911 that ejected the magazine but didn't do any damage to the gun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 8:22:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 2:33:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#24]
Glad you’re Ok OP.

I use painters tape and a sharpie to further mark powder, mainly because I don’t split jugs between rifles (LRG 260, LRG 6 creed, SPR, LR-6.5creed, etc..). Requires looking at the jug one additional time before loading the hopper. I also do the same once I add powder to a hopper since I have 3, and sometimes I don’t have time to empty them before leaving the house for a few hours. I started doing the last practice after a family member who also reloads forgot that they had left RL15 in the chargemaster instead of 4831sc and loaded some HOT 30-06 rounds. Receiver was ok, but the bullet acted funny coming out of the muzzle and contacted the suppressor endcap pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 10:52:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks

I see the bolt handle is missing and a hammer laying there how did you get the bolt open?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Not a real load!!!!!

Don't do this!!!
Thanks

I used a rubber mallet to beat the action open.

The knob broke off while getting the bolt lifted and the handle broke off on the very last hit getting it extracted

If it had broken off sooner it would have been very interesting

I have the action stripped. I'm going to have it checked, although I'm not sure what can really be checked other than a visual inspection and measurements

BTW, I put the disclaimer there just for the slim chance someone would see the load data without reading the thread. You never know...
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#26]
This is crazy. The worst I've done is not put powder in the case. Bullet came out and lodged in the lands, but no kaboom. Be safe out there.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Damn!  I separate my pistol and rifle powders in diff cabinets. I also try to get different brands of powder so the containers don't look similar.

Very very lucky
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Glad to hear you are ok OP.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 12:41:18 AM EDT
[#30]
A while back I started a policy of verifying the components both before and after reloading- as well as during. I also keep 1 powder on the bench at a time, as well as separate locations for rifle and pistol. And- I'm glad your OK!

I don't know if I would trust the receiver unless it was thoroughly examined for cracks.... Magnaflux or other method, not just eyeballing it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 3:02:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Appreciate you sharing this story. It might cause someone that read it to think twice and look twice while reloading and that could just be what prevents a similar or worse incident from occurring to them.

Glad your OK.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 9:21:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eracer] [#32]
Originally Posted By tomcatfan:
This is crazy. The worst I've done is not put powder in the case. Bullet came out and lodged in the lands, but no kaboom. Be safe out there.
View Quote
This is something that can cause a really bad day when rapid-firing a semi-auto.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Turn it into a wall mount above your reloading bench as a reminder.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By scatterbrains:
Damn!  I separate my pistol and rifle powders in diff cabinets. I also try to get different brands of powder so the containers don't look similar.

Very very lucky
View Quote

Been a long time since I checked this thread lol

I do actually keep my pistol and rifle powders separated on the shelf. Just so happens I use the 4227 for 300blk so I put it with the rifle powders
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 9:04:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Wow! Sorry to hear about your Kaboom, and glad you were not seriously hurt.

That 100Ksi estimate sounds scary. I'm guessing that you would have an early idea of the condition of the receiver based on the condition of the threads when you pull the bbl.

I recently saw how difficult it is to get new Rem 700 actions and decided I wouldn't bother and I went with Pierce Engineering's steel repeater action. That doesn't mean you can't grab a donor rifle at the nearest pawn shop.

I'm hoping you just scrap that receiver and just start with a different one that hasn't been Kaboomed.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top