Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2021 2:44:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dangermouse78]
Anyone tried one of these yet?

I bought a Genesis 6-24x50, but it hasn’t been delivered yet. I figured for the price ($379) it was worth a shot on a rifle I don’t shoot much.
Any opinions?

Edit: Guess I should give you some more info just in case you haven't heard of them.

https://www.blackhoundoptics.com/product/genesis-6-24x50-ffp-moa/
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never heard of them, but that center turret saddle reminds me a lot of the old Wotac scopes.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:08:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jason280:
I've never heard of them, but that center turret saddle reminds me a lot of the old Wotac scopes.
View Quote

Yeah, there’s several scope brands with that share that profile in the middle.

Apparently these guys have been making scope parts for other brands for 40 yrs & decided they wanted their own brand & so now we have Blackhound. They’re made in China, they’re not hiding that fact, & maybe they own the factory? I don’t know, can an American company own a factory in China.

Lifetime warranty that transfers ownership. Seemed worth a try to me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 12:47:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Lifetime warranty that transfers ownership. Seemed worth a try to me.
View Quote
Warranty is only useful if the company is actually still in business.

Granted, I know absolutely nothing about these scopes, I just have a difficult time spending money on unknown Chinese brands...
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Made in china should be considered an immediate disqualifier.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Granted, I know absolutely nothing about these scopes, I just have a difficult time spending money on unknown Chinese brands...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That’s a good point. Time will tell.

Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
Made in china should be considered an immediate disqualifier.

Well, I wish I had a “not made in China” budget. But I’m a poor.

Seriously though, it’s hard to stomach great optics prices on a rifle I just don’t shoot very often.

My other problem is I got 2 kids & a wife at home. And 1 kid at ASU. So my budget is razor thin.

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#6]
For 699.99 you can get a Crimson Trace 5 series scope. 34mm 3-18 illuminated. They have great reviews. Midway has them and the 3 series scopes on sale now.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By riggins:
For 699.99 you can get a Crimson Trace 5 series scope. 34mm 3-18 illuminated. They have great reviews. Midway has them and the 3 series scopes on sale now.
View Quote

I saw those. Never heard of them making scopes before.

Was slightly more than I wanted to pay. Again, I just don’t shot this particular rifle very often.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

I'm waiting on a replacement Crimson Trace 3-18x right now, the first one I received was underwhelming.  Reticle is far too small for the power range, especially at 3-10 power, illumination is not daylight bright, and the turrets had far too much slop for a Japanese optic.  I'm hoping mine was a lemon, replacement should be here tomorrow.

My Crimson Trace review
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#9]
This video is what made me decide on a blackhound optic.
Blackhound 6-24x50 FFP Scope Review

Should be here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#10]

I'm waiting on a replacement Crimson Trace 3-18x right now, the first one I received was underwhelming.  Reticle is far too small for the power range, especially at 3-10 power, illumination is not daylight bright, and the turrets had far too much slop for a Japanese optic.  I'm hoping mine was a lemon, replacement should be here tomorrow.

My Crimson Trace review
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

My Crimson Trace review

@Jason280

I will subscribe to your review to see your update.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Got it in today. I like it. Haven’t messed with it to much, as I just got home from work. It feels pretty stout, the magnification ring is perfect, just enough but not loose. Nice & clear glass.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

First focal plane. Does seem to be a little thick at 20x. Guess we’ll see how that plays out at the range.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 2:11:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coble9] [#12]
View Quote
cough....huntertown arms....
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 12:35:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#13]
At that price point the Chicom glass usually poops out at 300 yards.  They get blurry and lose resolution much beyond that.

But, these type scopes sometimes work wonderfully within that distance.  

Some might wonder why need a 24x FFP scope with tactical MOA turrets and reticle?

Answer:  precision .22LR.   It may be perfect for that if the turrets track reasonably well.  Great way to learn hold overs and hold offs for .22LR match ammo and a decent rifle.  It looks like parallax (side focus) may go down low enough to be useful.  Turrets look like Chinese copy of Weaver Japan tactical scopes of 8-10 years ago.  The reticle is basic and out-of-date compared to the "tree" type (EBR-2C) on comparably priced scopes like the $399 street price Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 MOA (also Chicom), but still useful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top