Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2018 9:30:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zach_]
Also,without hours of tablet time, differences in kestral models???? .

Happy hot as hell summer to everybody. The only good thing about 100+ degrees days, is the grass grows very slowly.

Z

I have the freebie Strelok app, and a MagnetoSpeed Sporter. Both work very well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you wanting a Kestrel to give you atmospheric parameters or are you thinking about one of the ballistic models?

If you are looking for atmospherics, this table was in the manual for my 2500 NV >>>

Link Posted: 7/23/2018 1:01:01 AM EDT
[#2]
If you need a quality range finder as well, I would get the sig kilo 2400 instead....
It is an awesome piece of kit...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 4:00:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 4:14:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#4]
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 7:05:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Reorx:
Are you wanting a Kestrel to give you atmospheric parameters or are you thinking about one of the ballistic models?

If you are looking for atmospherics, this table was in the manual for my 2500 NV >>>

https://i.imgur.com/RBjMCyY.png
View Quote
I guess I will make some time to read about the differences with the kestral stuff. I see some shooters use kestral devices, spending as much time tinkering as shooting. I hope it is just their learning curve.

The labradar looks flawless. The point of impact change with the MagnetoSpeed is getting old. I am shooting twice as much, the time involved.....
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:04:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#6]
Originally Posted By zach_:
...The point of impact change with the MagnetoSpeed is getting old...
View Quote
Well, I don't "fiddle" with my Kestrel - I read atmospherics off it and put it away...  I agree that the magnetospeed POI shifts are annoying but I only use it during load development and for occasional MV measurements on my reloads.  As part of load development, I get an average MV for each load.  Then I occasionally re-check the MV as time goes by at different atmospheric conditions - and I log those numbers.  To check the avg MV, I run 5 rounds over the magnetospeed.  Then I take it off my muzzle and do whatever shooting I was going to do at the range that day...  
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:27:04 AM EDT
[#7]
If you aleady have a Magneto speed get a Kestrel 4000 minimum. One thing a Kestrel is good for, aside from precise atmospherics,  is helping you learn what wind looks, feels and sounds like.

If you plan on shooting multiple unknown ranges often a range finder is a good tool to have as well. Just shooting at one distance or the same known distances all the time then the range finder will sit unused most of the time.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 11:29:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#8]
I guess I will make some time to read about the differences with the kestral stuff. I see some shooters use kestral devices, spending as much time tinkering as shooting. I hope it is just their learning curve.

The labradar looks flawless. The point of impact change with the MagnetoSpeed is getting old. I am shooting twice as much, the time involved.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/RBjMCyY.png

Just don't let it fall over or else it will be broken.  Lowlight has broken his at least twice now and he no longer uses it anywhere but at the range last I saw.

I'd vote for the Kestrel and specifically the 5700 Eliite w/ Link as it has been great for me.  I have a Magnetospeed V3 as well but have no intention of getting a Labradar as they are just too fragile imo.

ETA: I also managed to grab a Bushnell Elite CONX rangefinder from Brownell's last year for under $300 and that paired with my Kestrel is a great combo.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 7:09:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zach_] [#9]
Thanks for all of the input. I am leaning towards the 5700 Kestrel. Maybe the labradar later. My MagnetoSpeed does work.
Do any of you use the Windfinder app? It seems to be close on wind direction/temperature and wind speed predictions and history. I use it to choose where I go on a given day.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/BUSHNELL-RANGEFINDER-ELITE-MILE/2434873.uts?slotId=5

The kit above has a Kestrel "sportsman" included at $800.00. I called Kestrel a few minutes ago to ask about the "sportsman". I had to leave a message for a call back. I did not see it in their on line info with the limited time I had to look.
Gotta go do some work...

MODS, If I botched the link, please fix it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
If you aleady have a Magneto speed get a Kestrel 4000 minimum. One thing a Kestrel is good for, aside from precise atmospherics,  is helping you learn what wind looks, feels and sounds like.

If you plan on shooting multiple unknown ranges often a range finder is a good tool to have as well. Just shooting at one distance or the same known distances all the time then the range finder will sit unused most of the time.
View Quote
Looks like the 4000 has been replaced with the 5000.

Midway does not apply their "birthday discount" to the Kestrel brand.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 11:20:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#11]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Submit an offer thru Scopelist an offer for 15-20% under what the web price is and they will send a counter.  I got a great deal on my 5700 Elite AB w/ LINK thru them last year.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#12]
There are a lot of good apps that give good ballistically calculations. There are also a lot of wind/atmosphere meters that give great data that are a fraction of the cost of a Krestal. Also most apps can pull local weather and give fairly accurate data.

The best Kestral in the world isn’t worth shit without an accurate MV.

Get the Labradar. It was the best money I’ve spent on shooting accessories IMO.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:50:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:

The best Kestral in the world isn't worth shit without an accurate MV.

Get the Labradar. It was the best money I've spent on shooting accessories IMO.
View Quote
He already has a Magnetospeed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#14]

He already has a Magnetospeed.
View Quote
Gotcha, didn’t see that.

Still think the labradar is the better deal and worth the extra money. Easier to set up and doesn’t affect POI. Being able to do load development and get accurate MV information (an essential part of load development) all at the same time is awesome.

Furthermore I use it when I’m just shooting. If I have a shot drop low or high I know weither or not it was me or the gun. I also know when the barrel starts to go.

Sell the magnetospeed, get the labradar.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Gotcha, didn't see that.

Still think the labradar is the better deal and worth the extra money. Easier to set up and doesn't affect POI. Being able to do load development and get accurate MV information (an essential part of load development) all at the same time is awesome.

Furthermore I use it when I'm just shooting. If I have a shot drop low or high I know weither or not it was me or the gun. I also know when the barrel starts to go.

Sell the magnetospeed, get the labradar.
View Quote
Ha, yeah you don't have to sell me on the Labradar but my Magnetospeed matches my Labradar within about 1fps so he would be wiser to get something for atmospherics. He has the MV covered already.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Gents, thanks very much for the input. The Kestrel will likely get the money at this time. The next shooting purchase will be the mighty Labradar.
Both will wait until the cpap total is determined. I did the preliminary testing last night. Looks like 1.5 to 2k minimum to start, including last night's $750 slumber party.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:02:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BuckeyeRifleman] [#17]
Ha, yeah you don't have to sell me on the Labradar but my Magnetospeed matches my Labradar within about 1fps so he would be wiser to get something for atmospherics. He has the MV covered already.
View Quote
https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/windmeters-amp-flags/windmeters/weatherflow-weathermeter-prod84993.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-749-008-181&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=749-008-181

This is what I use. $70 plus an iPhone with the Applied ballistics app installed. It integrates with several other ballistic apps over blue tooth. Wind, temp, pressure, humidity, etc. It does a damn good job getting me first round hits at 1K.

I’m sure the Kestral has some cool features, and I’m sure it’s nice to have everything integrated in one unit, but I’m not sure it’s worth the extra $600 bucks.

The labradar saves me so much time (and money) on load development I almost think it’s a must have for anyone who really wants to get in to the LR game. The magneto isn’t bad by any means, but having used it it’s a PITA to set up and I hate that it affects POI and group size. I’d still sell the magneto and get the labradar.

ETA Saw the OP got the Kestral. Enjoy either way! It’s on my list. Like I said, it would be nice to have all my data and environmental parameters in one unit.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#18]

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/windmeters-amp-flags/windmeters/weatherflow-weathermeter-prod84993.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-749-008-181&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=749-008-181

This is what I use. $70 plus an iPhone with the Applied ballistics app installed. It integrates with several other ballistic apps over blue tooth. Wind, temp, pressure, humidity, etc. It does a damn good job getting me first round hits at 1K.

I'm sure the Kestral has some cool features, and I'm sure it's nice to have everything integrated in one unit, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra $600 bucks.
View Quote
Yeah that's all you need is what you have there.

I bought my  Bluetooth Kestrel 4200 used off ebay for about $120, tells me atmopherics and that is it, connects with my phone to send the data to AB Mobile app.

I would rather have the AB Mobile on my phone because it is quick and easy to change things and if one or the other goes down I will still be ok.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:36:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zach_] [#19]
I am seeing recent bad reviews for the Applied Ballisttics mobile app that get a response confirming the problems exist from Applied Ballisttics. Have the issues been resolved?

The phone interface for my Magnetospeed never worked FOR ME. I gave up on the interface. It is in the bottom of one of my range bags unused. It is probably user error.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I am seeing recent bad reviews for the Applied Ballisttics mobile app that get a response confirming the problems exist from Applied Ballisttics. Have the issues been resolved?

The phone interface for my Magnetospeed never worked FOR ME. I gave up on the interface. It is in the bottom of one of my range bags unused. It is probably user error.
View Quote
AB mobile just has an interface that isn’t very intuitive. It lacks some of the features like blue tooth integration with windmeters and weather meters like other apps have. If however you give it good input data it gives the most accurate ballistic solution IMO. Bryan Litz is a super smart guy. If you ever want to learn some cool stuff about accuracy at distance, read a few of his books.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
I have been using AB Mobile Android for a few years with no issues. What are the problems you are seeing?
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#22]

AB mobile just has an interface that isn't very intuitive. It lacks some of the features like blue tooth integration with windmeters and weather meters like other apps have. If however you give it good input data it gives the most accurate ballistic solution IMO. Bryan Litz is a super smart guy. If you ever want to learn some cool stuff about accuracy at distance, read a few of his books.
View Quote
AB Mobile Android has bluetooth intigration, it connects with my Kestrel just fine.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 6:21:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I have been using AB Mobile Android for a few years with no issues. What are the problems you are seeing?
View Quote
I have not purchased anything yet. My concern was sparked after reading recent reviews.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 9:44:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#24]

I have not purchased anything yet. My concern was sparked after reading recent reviews.
View Quote
I meant what problems are you seeing people complaining about in the reviews.

I know nothing of the AB Kestrel unit, but haven't had issues with the Android AB Mobile app on my Galaxy S5.

It connects up with my Bluetooth  Kestrel 4200 just fine for atmospherics, of course I am just a sample size of one so I guess my experience could be different than the majority.

My only complaint was with a recent update, now it asks to turn on Bluetooth. This is annoying because I am always playing with it at work or home when I don't need Bluetooth on.

...oh and the left/right zero offset is backwards last I checked.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By jlficken:

Just don't let it fall over or else it will be broken.  Lowlight has broken his at least twice now and he no longer uses it anywhere but at the range last I saw.

I'd vote for the Kestrel and specifically the 5700 Eliite w/ Link as it has been great for me.  I have a Magnetospeed V3 as well but have no intention of getting a Labradar as they are just too fragile imo.

ETA: I also managed to grab a Bushnell Elite CONX rangefinder from Brownell's last year for under $300 and that paired with my Kestrel is a great combo.
View Quote
I ordered the elite conx to go with my kestrel and was a major disappointment.

On a known distance range I could not get the Bushnell to read past 300 yards on a 12" target in full sun.

tried lazing a metal roof house 1/2 mile away.. same thing.
Sent it back and got a Sig 2200.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Do any of you use the Windfinder app? It seems to be close on wind direction/temperature and wind speed predictions and history. I use it to choose where I go on a given day.
View Quote
I have used it. It’s a decent for general purpose but it isn’t detailed/accurate enough for good wind calls.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I meant what problems are you seeing people complaining about in the reviews.

I know nothing of the AB Kestrel unit, but haven't had issues with the Android AB Mobile app on my Galaxy S5.

It connects up with my Bluetooth  Kestrel 4200 just fine for atmospherics, of course I am just a sample size of one so I guess my experience could be different than the majority.

My only complaint was with a recent update, now it asks to turn on Bluetooth. This is annoying because I am always playing with it at work or home when I don't need Bluetooth on.

...oh and the left/right zero offset is backwards last I checked.
View Quote
I am using the sig app(I assume it is AB app) with the kilo 2400 which has the AB program on it..I have had zero issues with it..been very very simple to use, and I prefer using it on my phone versus just using the RF(it gives you dial ups right on the RF)..It allows me to range from the app, it allows me to alter most any input and sync with the RF at will..hard to beat..Heck can even use the app to true both MV and BC if you want to by ranging/shooting/input corrections/ calculate and sync.....Absolutely love the kilo 2400....
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
I think there was an update that didn't go very smoothly but it's been corrected.

I have the AB app and a Kestrel 5700 w AB.  Both perform wonderfully.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I appreciate the response.
I ordered the 5700 Elite. It better fucking work. Otherwise I will toss ........ no I wont.
It looks easy enough, provided the videos were not BS.

The delay was a much needed CPAP machine, & the acquisition process ($$$$ low).  If your doctor recommends a CPAP, do it, immediately. If you snore badly, check it out. The benefits far outweigh the pain in the ass acquisition process and the money.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:52:13 AM EDT
[#30]
The delay was a much needed CPAP machine, & the acquisition process ($$$$ low).  If your doctor recommends a CPAP, do it, immediately. If you snore badly, check it out. The benefits far outweigh the pain in the ass acquisition process and the money.
View Quote
What was your AHI?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 7:01:39 AM EDT
[#31]
What was your AHI?
View Quote
I don't have the initial test results with me. They were alarmingly bad. The first place wanted to sell me an anti-snoring mouthpiece. After their take home device test, they told me to go see a real sleep doctor, NOW!
The results are great. The first test was a waste of money. My pc physician scolded me for not going through him as opposed to a dentist selling mouth pieces for snoring. Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Gents, thanks very much for the input. The Kestrel will likely get the money at this time. The next shooting purchase will be the mighty Labradar.
Both will wait until the cpap total is determined. I did the preliminary testing last night. Looks like 1.5 to 2k minimum to start, including last night's $750 slumber party.
View Quote
I bought my cpap from the classified, brand new resmed s9 auto for 350 bucks. Lots of Medicaid users get new ones and resell them for profit. Bought mask and stuff from cpapexchange.com for 100 bucks. Was under 500 for everything.

I did submit the cost to insurance, which I never heard back from, but it was still cheaper than my copay through the vendor they were sending me to
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:30:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zach_] [#33]
Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:

I bought my cpap from the classified, brand new resmed s9 auto for 350 bucks. Lots of Medicaid users get new ones and resell them for profit. Bought mask and stuff from cpapexchange.com for 100 bucks. Was under 500 for everything.

I did submit the cost to insurance, which I never heard back from, but it was still cheaper than my copay through the vendor they were sending me to
View Quote
Insurance is a mind game these days. They always win.
You need to understand the legalease BS. I don't.
Did it work for you?
Life changer for me. I thought I was just old, fat, and lazy.
Not the case, I was old, fat, and not sleeping for shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top