Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2022 9:09:40 PM EDT
223/5.56 16" suppressed bolt gun, 69-77 gr bullets.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 2:10:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#1]
Varget
8208xbr
Rl-15
TAC

If you can’t get single digit std. dev with those powders, there’s something else going on with your process.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 4:07:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CanNevrHaveEnuffGuns] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
Varget
8208xbr
Rl-15
TAC

If you can’t get single digit std. dev with those powders, there’s something else going on with your process.
View Quote

Yup. I’ll add most of the Hodgdon Extreme series powders should make single digit S-D available. This can include H4895.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 11:54:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By CanNevrHaveEnuffGuns:

Yup. I’ll add most of the Hodgdon Extreme series powders should make single digit S-D available. This can include H4895.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
Varget
8208xbr
Rl-15
TAC

Ditto on H4955.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:29:54 AM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

I’m a big fan of h4895 in my 24-26” barrels and 75-80eld’s, but it might be a bit slow for a 16”. If you can find it, it’s another great powder, but it’s pretty hard to find currently.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#5]
There is no “best.”  There is what “works well with your barrel” and the bullet, case and primer that you are using.

A semi-automatic AR-15 is not going to produce the same statistics as a custom bolt-gun due to the extra hole bleeding off gas in the semi-automatic AR-15 barrel.  Also, you need to use a minimum of a 10-shot string over the chronograph to obtain any significant data.

VihtaVuori N140 has produced repeatable single-digit standard deviations from my barrels using 75-77 grain bullets from Hornady, Nosler and Sierra.

….
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Molon:
There is no “best.”  There is what “works well with your barrel” and the bullet, case and primer that you are using.

A semi-automatic AR-15 is not going to produce the same statistics as a custom bolt-gun due to the extra hole bleeding off gas in the semi-automatic AR-15 barrel.  Also, you need to use a minimum of a 10-shot string over the chronograph to obtain any significant data.

VihtaVuori N140 has produced repeatable single-digit standard deviations from my barrels using 75-77 grain bullets from Hornady, Nosler and Sierra.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/standard_deviation_of_4_fps_01-2444566.jpg

….
View Quote

Impressive. Never used Viht but have heard superb things about it. Prior poster did a good callout of matching burn rate against barrel length to get performance and consistency. I spoke just a bit too vaguely.

As with all things measured, bigger sample size lends significance. 5 shot groups and 10 shot strings are valuable.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I think best powder is secondary to internal ballistics and barrel harmonics. I'm a firm believer in velocity nodes and no matter what powder you use, if you can hit the velocity that is a node for your barrel, powder is secondary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top