Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2023 6:12:38 PM EDT
Hey y’all, I’m wanting to find good online resources for long range shooting. I just picked up a copy of Ryan Cleckner’s book, so I’ll be starting that tomorrow, but I was hoping for maybe something in audio or video format to listen to while driving or at work to help suplement the book. I’m the kind of guy that wants to study something before I start. I understand shooting is very experience driven, but I still like to study.

I do not have a rifle yet. I am saving up for one. Most of my shooting experience is inside 100yds. I have qualed out to 300, but only once a year for 6 years. So consider me brand new. Any references will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Applied Ballistics by Bryan Litz.

You can also still find the TM for US Army Snipers around, great focus on fundamentals.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Cleckner videos on Youtube are great.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 10:32:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MSC182] [#4]
“Long range shooting” can mean a lot of different things. Are you wanting to compete? Are you wanting to just shoot from a bench at distance for fun? Are you wanting to expand the distances you hunt? There are several great shooters and companies with YouTube channels, some are geared towards a specific discipline, others are more encompassing. Here’s a few I subscribe to. Impact Shooting and Believe the Target have some podcasts that you could listen to while driving. I shoot PRS for what it’s worth and am able to take something from all of these.

Impact Shooting
MDT
Erik Cortina Believe the Target
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MSC182:
“Long range shooting” can mean a lot of different things. Are you wanting to compete? Are you wanting to just shoot from a bench at distance for fun? Are you wanting to expand the distances you hunt? There are several great shooters and companies with YouTube channels, some are geared towards a specific discipline, others are more encompassing. Here’s a few I subscribe to. Impact Shooting and Believe the Target have some podcasts that you could listen to while driving. I shoot PRS for what it’s worth and am able to take something from all of these.

Impact Shooting
MDT
Erik Cortina Believe the Target
View Quote

Thanks to you, and the rest so far. As for goals, I would say all three. I would like to be able to push my hunting distances, punch paper, and potentially try PRS matches. It sounds generic, but my main desire is to be good at long range shooting all around.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Try on YouTube Mark and Sam after-work, its a husband wife team who shoot ELR, they not only have guides to show you proper position, they also shoot about every caliber catridge made to show both advantages and dis advantages for ELR work, they will also go over all sorts of equipment and its use..

https://www.youtube.com/@markandsamafterwork/videos
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gsd1983:
Applied Ballistics by Bryan Litz.

You can also still find the TM for US Army Snipers around, great focus on fundamentals.
View Quote

Agreed.  As an aerospace engineer, I find Bryan Litz to be the best source of genuine scientific info out there.   There are physics and mathematics involved in long range shooting, which makes it more interesting for me.  Physics and mathematics may not be for everyone, but ballistic calculators do most of the work.

Also agree with the Army SOTIC manual.  Organization isn't that great, but there's good stuff there.

For many years Todd Hodnett has been training the world record holding snipers.    

While beginners can get a lot of useful trigger time shooting small targets with small bore, for those who have solid marksmanship fundamentals I teach using the NRA MQP F-Class Rifle Qualification.  It's a self guided course of fire designed to get you out to 1,000 yards.  You can download printable MR-31 targets online for free to get started.

OP may also be interested in My Training Forum LR/ELR DVD list

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top