Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2019 10:16:21 AM EDT
In the process of building a sub 8 pound (without optic) long range hunting rifle and unfortunately there are not a lot of options for the my chosen action when it comes to lightweight stocks.

Decided to take the current wood laminate stock to chopping....milling block.

Plans are to hollow out the buttstock and pistol grip area and deepen the barrel channel and add some vents/ lightening cuts in the forearm.

Prefer not to leave the stock and pistol grip hollow and want to fill the barrel channel as well.

Need a good lightweight filler and appropriate resin.

TIA
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#1]
How much does the stock weigh and how much do you think you're going to cut out with this path? It might make a TON more sense (yes I realize the cost) to go with something like a fibreglass stock. I have a few on match rifles and they weigh very little while being stupid durable and environmentally stable.

I would really advise a back-up plan. When you put light weight filler and epoxy into service to fill chasms you get uneven density. That might possibly have an effect on the grouping consistency of the rifle thanks to harmonics going all wonky. If it ends up bad, you'll want a back-up plan. I've had this experience myself. It might be easier and better to go to a shorter and/or lighter contour barrel and you might consider a titanium action or even a carbon wrapped barrel. Any of those will trim serious ounces from your rifle. The carbon barrel is an expensive but amazing way to cut a huge amount of weight. Fluting/contour/length on barrels works pretty well. Fluting and a fibreglass stock was how my Coach got one of his match rifles to get in at 8.5lbs with a heavy barrel on it. I did the same but with lopping off 2 inches of barrel instead of fluting.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 10:46:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 223Rem] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
How much does the stock weigh and how much do you think you're going to cut out with this path? It might make a TON more sense (yes I realize the cost) to go with something like a fibreglass stock. I have a few on match rifles and they weigh very little while being stupid durable and environmentally stable.

I would really advise a back-up plan. When you put light weight filler and epoxy into service to fill chasms you get uneven density. That might possibly have an effect on the grouping consistency of the rifle thanks to harmonics going all wonky. If it ends up bad, you'll want a back-up plan. I've had this experience myself. It might be easier and better to go to a shorter and/or lighter contour barrel and you might consider a titanium action or even a carbon wrapped barrel. Any of those will trim serious ounces from your rifle. The carbon barrel is an expensive but amazing way to cut a huge amount of weight. Fluting/contour/length on barrels works pretty well. Fluting and a fibreglass stock was how my Coach got one of his match rifles to get in at 8.5lbs with a heavy barrel on it. I did the same but with lopping off 2 inches of barrel instead of fluting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:

The stock a BVSS which is rather meaty and has lots of places to remove wood.  I could easily remove a quarter of the of it's original weight, if not more.

As for the filler, I was thinking more of a foam that I can cut to size and then epoxy in place.  This would remove any uneven-ness.

Barrel is aluminum sleeved and weight slightly more than a typical magnum sporter contoured barrel yet has a varmint contour and 28" long.  Barrel is going nowhere, except up the mountain.

Originally Posted By Rob01:
What action is it?
Old school Savage Long Action with flat rear and SSS trigger.

All ready a great load for this rifle and action is bedded.

Was hoping to find a B&C LA Duramaxx, but they are no longer made.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#4]
great stuff spray foam
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 11:08:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 223Rem] [#5]
Originally Posted By Lockstep:
great stuff spray foam
View Quote
Funny thing is I have can of the big opening version sitting on the workbench.

Be OK for filling the buttstock and pistol grip area, but I am not sure how it will do with the barrel channel.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, that's pretty meaty. Might try expanding foam for the buttstock and pistol grip. It's worked ok. For the fore-end... I've had good luck with zero things so no ideas there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top