Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2021 8:04:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheRealCocowheats]
Looking to get into shooting .22LR out to 200yds out of a cheap Savage FV-SR. Looking for recommendations for glass under $300ish.

I see PA has a 1-6x SFP with an ACSS reticle for .22LR to 200yds. Seems interesting but 6x seems a little low for tack driving at 200yds.
PA ACSS .22LR

They also have a sweet deal on a FFP 4-14x, but I'm not sure how I feel about their ARC-2 MOA reticle.
PA FFP for $200.

So what's out there? What's the beehive recommend?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a Mark II B and have had both the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire and the Primary Arms Rimfire on it. The PA now lives on my 10/22 (prefer the proportions) Both are perfectly good and really pretty outstanding value.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:00:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheRealCocowheats] [#2]
Haven't looked at Nikon's offerings!

Honestly just not familiar with dedicated .22lr optics. Not new to glass, just new to glass on a .22lr(usually mount a decent RDS and call it a day).

So the Nikon has zero stop turrets? Description seems to say that! Seems like great value.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:06:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kraquine] [#3]
If you're a vet you can get a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9X33 EFR for less than that on their site.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 3-9 moa nikon scope on my 22lr.  It works great but I feel alittle underpowered for 200 yards.  Im looking for something in the 14-18x range.  I thought about finding a used vortex 6-25 as well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Ya, I was thinking similar about 7-9x max @ 200yds. I'm thinking a decent 4-12+ should do.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Bushnell Engage 2.5-10X44 on one of my 22s.  Good glass and reticle and has an adjustable parallax down to about 10 yards. Can be had for under $300 if you shop around.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Athlon Argos BTR.  

I love my Athlon Midas Tac, but its twice your price range.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:16:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#8]
4-12 Bushnell adjustable parallax 10 yds to infinity  they also have a 4-16 but it's more expensive.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:
Athlon Argos BTR.  

View Quote

Second vote for the Argos have one on my savage for NRL22 clear glass tracks well zero stop lots of features for the price ( about 300 street price)
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By captain127:

Second vote for the Argos have one on my savage for NRL22 clear glass tracks well zero stop lots of features for the price ( about 300 street price)
View Quote

Third for the BTR.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 2:41:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I can't speak to 200 yards as I only shot to 100. I just got a Vector Veyron 6-24x44 FFP in MRAD. It was $289 plus tax on Amazon. It's got a tight eyebox. The rings that it came with are HIGH, so position and cheek weld are tough. Still new to me, but something to look at.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 2:45:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Vortex Diamond Backs:
3.5-10X $150 to $250
4-12 $250
4-16X $350
6-24X $400
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 3:33:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Shop around on the Vortex Diamondback Tactical for discounts.  I think I paid $350 for the 6-24x50 FFP.  Available in either mil/mil or moa/moa.

The glass sort of poops out around 300 yards, but looks good at 200.  Excellent on my Rem 541S .22LR bolt gun for out to 200, though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 2:44:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't get a super high zoom scope in that price point.   None of them from any brand are all that great past 16x.  High zoom scopes that don't suck start at about $600 and go up from there.

For a rimfire scope, I have a Clearidge Ultra RM that I use for that kind of thing that I like a lot.   Made in Japan, very decent glass for the price point.   It's basically a Weaver RV9 with Target turrets.

Other random thoughts, Weavers made in Japan scopes are also good stuff for the price.   Vortex and Nikon also makes nice stuff, and I have also been blown away by the glass quality per dollar on Sightrons.  

YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 2:48:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Or for dedicated target work, SWFA fixed power super sniper Scopes are good stuff as well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 12:35:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Give the swfa ss fixed 10 power scope a chance. I love mine.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 5:32:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MarkP] [#17]
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:
I have a Bushnell Engage 2.5-10X44 on one of my 22s.  Good glass and reticle and has an adjustable parallax down to about 10 yards. Can be had for under $300 if you shop around.
View Quote

Same here.
Better glass than I was expecting.

Bushnell Engage & 10/22

Link Posted: 8/19/2021 4:32:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bnoji] [#18]
Just mounted an Athlon Talos 4-14x on a CZ457. Looking good so far.

Parallax adjusts down to 10yds, illuminated tree reticle, FFP.

Paid $249 shipped.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By BrotherJackToo:
Don't get a super high zoom scope in that price point.   None of them from any brand are all that great past 16x.  High zoom scopes that don't suck start at about $600 and go up from there.

For a rimfire scope, I have a Clearidge Ultra RM that I use for that kind of thing that I like a lot.   Made in Japan, very decent glass for the price point.   It's basically a Weaver RV9 with Target turrets.

Other random thoughts, Weavers made in Japan scopes are also good stuff for the price.   Vortex and Nikon also makes nice stuff, and I have also been blown away by the glass quality per dollar on Sightrons.  

YMMV.
View Quote

OP is shooting .22LR at 200 yards.  What you say is true at longer distances.  Absolutely so at 300 and beyond.  But, out to 200 Chinese glass like in the Vortex Diamondback Tactical is quite acceptable.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MS556:

OP is shooting .22LR at 200 yards.  What you say is true at longer distances.  Absolutely so at 300 and beyond.  But, out to 200 Chinese glass like in the Vortex Diamondback Tactical is quite acceptable.
View Quote
I can get the Diamondback Tactical 4-12 FFP for the exact same price as the Argos BTR Gen 2 6-24 FFP. I have two Diamondback Rimfires and the glass is OK. I played with the new Crimson Trace Brushline Pro 2-7 in a store this week and I was absolutely blown away by the clarity and brightness of the glass. I really wish I could play with the Diamondback Tactical and Argos BTR in a store to see the glass clarity.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 12:42:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Primary Arms 4-14 has a mil dot reticle as well if that suits you. I’ve got the acss hud dmr version and I love it. Even at 14x, it’s still pretty much as bright as lower magnification. I didn’t notice any dimming.
Ive used a ~$400 vortex that dimmed pretty bad at like 16x.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 11:18:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#22]
Originally Posted By 45FMJoe:
I can get the Diamondback Tactical 4-12 FFP for the exact same price as the Argos BTR Gen 2 6-24 FFP. I have two Diamondback Rimfires and the glass is OK. I played with the new Crimson Trace Brushline Pro 2-7 in a store this week and I was absolutely blown away by the clarity and brightness of the glass. I really wish I could play with the Diamondback Tactical and Argos BTR in a store to see the glass clarity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 45FMJoe:

A fine FFP "tree" reticle is valuable when shooting at longer distances with .22LR.  It lets you reduce mirage effect by reducing magnification without affecting holdover and holdoff points on the reticle.  This is especially useful when wind doping.  Those little slow bullets get pushed around.

As to glass clarity, its a lot easier to have a great image at 7x than at 24x.  Scopes must be compared at the same magnification.  As magnification and distance increase deficiencies in glass completely unnoticeable at 7x become obvious at 24x.  At longer distance and higher magnification budget glass loses resolution, the ability to resolve (distinguish) fine detail.  The Diamondback Tactical remains quite good at 200-250 yards but starts losing resolution by 300+.  That's to be expected at its price point.  Its good value for  precision .22LR at about $350 street price.

I have a very nice pure target scope a Japanese glass Burris Black Diamond 6-24x50.  Sadly discontinued.  It has tall 1/8 MOA target turrets and a fine 1/8 MOA SFP simple cross hair target reticle.  Glass is light-years better and it holds up well at 1,000  yards.  It was $800 at the time, equivalent to maybe $1200 today.  But, its only usable on targets at fixed distance and all adjustments must be dialed with those turrets.  It has side focus but not below about 75 yards.  So, for precision.22LR it was a poor candidate.  Glass that good is not really needed at 300 yards and less.  Thus, the Diamondback Tactical fills that nitch well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 11:45:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#23]

A fine FFP "tree" reticle is valuable when shooting at longer distances with .22LR.  It lets you reduce mirage effect by reducing magnification without affecting holdover and holdoff points on the reticle.  This is especially useful when wind doping.  Those little slow bullets get pushed around.

As to glass clarity, its a lot easier to have a great image at 7x than at 24x.  Scopes must be compared at the same magnification.  As magnification and distance increase deficiencies in glass completely unnoticeable at 7x become obvious at 24x.  At longer distance and higher magnification budget glass loses resolution, the ability to resolve (distinguish) fine detail.  The Diamondback Tactical remains quite good at 200-250 yards but starts losing resolution by 300+.  That's to be expected at its price point.  Its good value for  precision .22LR at about $350 street price.

I have a very nice pure target scope a Japanese glass Burris Black Diamond 6-24x50.  Sadly discontinued.  It has tall 1/8 MOA target turrets and a fine 1/8 MOA SFP simple cross hair target reticle.  Glass is light-years better and it holds up well at 1,000  yards.  It was $800 at the time, equivalent to maybe $1200 today.  But, its only usable on targets at fixed distance and all adjustments must be dialed with those turrets.  It has side focus but not below about 75 yards.  So, for precision.22LR it was a poor candidate.  Glass that good is not really needed at 300 yards and less.  Thus, the Diamondback Tactical fills that nitch well.
View Quote

I appreciate this well-reasoned response to the OP.  It might just be a solid enough rationale to get ME to buy a Diamondback Tactical, however, there is one thing I am still considering.  Perhaps this idea applies to the OP, too.  

If I buy one scope (more expensive) and can use it on several rifles, including rifles that go out well beyond the 200-300 yard limit, that seems to justify spending more on it.  If I can avoid spending money on multiple scopes, I can pool the budgets and buy one good scope rather than a couple of lesser quality scopes.  It also means I have a common sighting system on my rifles (one less variable).

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 4:43:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FighterFixer1] [#24]
I'm using a Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44, FFP with the EBR-2C (mil) Christmas tree ret.  I have it's big brother (Vortex Razor 4.5-27x56 with EBR-7C mil) on a centerfire rifle.  

The reticle is similar enough that I consider the Diamondback a good training tool.  I've shot with it out to 400yds, and it's a little fuzzy way out there, but at 200 it's more than adequate.  Mine focuses down to 10 yards at full 16x, and it gave a nice crisp view doing the 25yd tackdriver game yesterday.  I know that it's not a top tier scope, so I don't worry about a little color aberration......but I haven't noticed any either.    

I liked mine so much, I got a 2nd Db for a 10/22.  

And Vortex still has the lifetime stupid-proof warranty.

FYI, if you qualify for the Vortex mil/le discounts, it's also considerably less expensive than the $350 advertised street price.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Nikon stopped making scopes a few years back.

Vortex has some nice glass. Next time I'm looking for inexpensive glass I'll try one

Look at SWFA outdoors. Look only at the SS SWFA fixed scopes. Originally mfg for a military contract, I think the navy, by Tasco. The glass is awesome.

I purchased one just to get me up and running on a REM 700 build that I was doing until I could afford better glass. It still sits on it almost 10 years later.

A buddy of mine just purchased one the summer of 2020 and they are made just as well.

Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#26]
BSA used to make a "Sweet .22" scope that came with turrets for 3 different .22lr bullet weights.  It was supposed to allow you to dial in drop.  I still have one mounted to a 10/22 but I haven't shot that gun in many years.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 11:25:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Nikon is what I have on mine. its a shame they got out of the scope market.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 3:53:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:
View Quote

i second that check,  natchezss.com
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 11:01:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: speedball] [#29]
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:
Athlon Argos BTR.  

View Quote

Thirded on the Argos BTR.  It is fantastic for a Base Class NRL22 gun and many use them.  FFP, parallax down to 25 (with side focus), Christmas tree reticle, tracks well for me.  Oh and illuminated if you care about that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 for $300.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top