Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2021 6:25:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tranquility]
I know a lot of people don't like lubing their bolt at all but I find mine runs much smoother when it is freshly oiled. I have found grease gets tacky and after a while and while I usually use a very light coat of oil (G96) it picks up dust after extended shooting periods and eventually causes the bolt to stick and chatter worse than no oil.

Is there a better product out there or a preferred application technique?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I put Cherry Balmz on mine.

I put Cherry Balmz on everything.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 6:59:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#2]
Wilson Ultima Lube UNIVERSAL

Use sparingly on bolt lugs.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Geissele ultra thin grease.

Staynicity. It’s what guns crave.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Mobil 1.   It just works.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Mobil 1.   It just works.
View Quote

This, very light coating. Love the smell as it burns off
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By fortydelta:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Slip 2000 EWL  30
And they have a great grease syringe
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:03:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By fortydelta:

View Quote

This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:32:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m currently using Amsoil gun lube, and have been very happy with it so far.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:48:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skg_Mre_Lght] [#12]
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:58:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tranquility] [#13]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Guess it would help if the OP gives more detail if he is talking about a bolt action bolt or a semi auto bolt.
View Quote

Oh sorry, bolt action rifle. I guess it's more exposed to the elements than an AR bolt with a dust cover.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:10:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tranquility] [#14]
Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:
I put a light coat of Lucas grease on the back of my bolt lugs, and spray the bolt down with Otis dry lube.

Oil is doodoo on PR bolts, and you'll hate yourself by the middle of the match when the dust starts sticking to the oil and you're fighting the bolt.

For my precision gas guns, I use Lucas gun oil.
View Quote

Thanks, I just ordered some Otis dry lube. Never used it before.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:47:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:28:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#16]
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:06:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I’ve been using Mobile 1 full synthetic for more than ten years without any problems. While it’s not cheap (about $10 per quart) it’s a whole lot cheaper than others lubes out there. I’m still using the quart that I bought more than 10 years ago. Why pay upwards of $20 for a couple oz?
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:11:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:06:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tranquility] [#19]
Quick follow up question for bolt guns, how many bolt cycles or rounds fired or how much time spent in dusty environments do these lubes hold up for? Is a day at a match pretty typical?
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I use mystic 10% moledium grease cycle the bolt several times and then wipe it off. Then I apply dry graphite. It’s messy but you will not have a dust problem. If you are in the rain lithium grease is hard to beat or the mystic with Molybdenum. But the grease is a little messy. Do not apply mobile one to the firing spring. It will build a static charge and collect dust and gum. If you’re not gonna be in a really dusty environment frog lube is a pretty good choice as well as TC bore butter. They both will kinda break down carbon and smell really good. As for hunting I think the TC bore butter is hard to beat. I wiped some on a licking branch to see how deer would react because my buddy said that the smell was to powerful. The game camera was full of pictures of deer rubbing and licking and chewing the branch off. So I use bore butter on my lever action riffles. Plus it beads water really well. Another buddy swears by microlon. But I have never played with it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Roddy556:
Quick follow up question for bolt guns, how many bolt cycles or rounds fired or how much time spent in dusty environments do these lubes hold up for? Is a day at a match pretty typical?
View Quote

I can’t really answer this question because I carry an AR as the ranch riffle. But it rides in a buggy and tractors and probably see’s more dust than a rifle other than in a desert military environment. And I clean the bolt group once a year whether it needs it or not. I usually run through about sixty to seventy rounds.

Now for the bolt Guns I don’t reapply till I feel like they need it and that can be years with the molly and graphite. The lever action rifles get reapplied bore butter once a year.

I think you’re answer would really vary with how wet the firearms get and then how dusty. The graphite and molly can get somewhat washed away. But the water should act as a lubricant until the action totally dries. But a drop of any type of oil should give adequate lubricant until you could do a good cleaning and reapply the molly grease and graphite.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Yes it will work fine for a day at a match. I usually hit the bolt again after the first day at a two day match but sometimes I don't/can't and it runs fine the next day too.
View Quote

Good to know. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I use Amsoil gun oil and then use Lucas gun grease on the lugs, both of which are synthetic. I also like Amsoil gun cleaner as well.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 10:26:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tranquility] [#25]
It smells good too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Roddy556:

Thanks, I just ordered some Otis dry lube. Never used it before.
It smells good too.

The bolt is running like poop through a goose and my rifle smells like Southern Comfort or something. This forum is really a great source of knowledge.

Also I guess I didn't get Otis Dry Lube, I got Otis Special Forces Dry Lube so you know it's good.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 12:38:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 12:09:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Mobil 1
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Mobil 1 10w/30W mixed with bearing grease until its a jelly consistency. A lifetime supply for around $8.

Link Posted: 7/11/2021 11:57:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Robert Whitely recommends a bicycle chain lube that he likes for AR-15's.

I use Lubriplate No. 105 commonly available in any automotive store or the auto section of most big box stores.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
Robert Whitely recommends a bicycle chain lube that he likes for AR-15's.

I use Lubriplate No. 105 commonly available in any automotive store or the auto section of most big box stores.
View Quote

Is it still as messy as it used to be? We used Lubriplate on telescope arms of backhoe’s in the mine. Only thing messier was suretack tub grease that we used to lubricate the wear plate in the tub of the dragline. You could get either on your clothes and it would transfer to everything in the washing machine. We sprayed lubriplate on a D10 dozer blade that was pushing shale. And it shined the blade up to a mirror finish that held its luster for a few weeks while we had the dozer for sale. You could still feel how slick the blade was even when it tried to rust the rust pushed off with your finger.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

Is it still as messy as it used to be? We used Lubriplate on telescope arms of backhoe’s in the mine. Only thing messier was suretack tub grease that we used to lubricate the wear plate in the tub of the dragline. You could get either on your clothes and it would transfer to everything in the washing machine. We sprayed lubriplate on a D10 dozer blade that was pushing shale. And it shined the blade up to a mirror finish that held its luster for a few weeks while we had the dozer for sale. You could still feel how slick the blade was even when it tried to rust the rust pushed off with your finger.
View Quote

Lubriplate makes dozens of different lubricants for a wide variety of applications. Lubriplate No. 105 is a light weight motor assembly grease designed to prevent galling when installing pistons with rings when building engines.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#32]

Lubriplate makes dozens of different lubricants for a wide variety of applications. Lubriplate No. 105 is a light weight motor assembly grease designed to prevent galling when installing pistons with rings when building engines.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

Gotcha that’s the lighter foamy stuff we used on push rods and cylinders.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#33]
my hmr pro action is already really smooth, used cherry balmz and dont really notice a difference
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 10:56:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kuraki] [#34]

This came with the use Palma rifle I bought last year and it's fantastic.

ETA: Ugh just looked it up.  They sell a "gun lube kit" which is a bottle of their fluoro oil and this little tub of grease, $18.95.  That's not bad.  Only shipping is FedEx ground for $25  I guess I'll make this last.

Link Posted: 8/20/2021 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Is Frog Lube out of fashion now?
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By tatsngats:
View Quote

Frog Lube is fine as long as you apply it super thin.  People get carried away and think more is better.

I like Break Free CLP for the bolt body and a thin film of Super Lube grease for the lugs.  Too much and you will attract dirt.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By sigman68:

Frog Lube is fine as long as you apply it super thin.  People get carried away and think more is better.

I like Break Free CLP for the bolt body and a thin film of Super Lube grease for the lugs.  Too much and you will attract dirt.
View Quote

If I'm hunting in the rain I love Frog lube. Just beads the water right off. But it doesn't take much and it dissolves the carbon so you have to wipe it off and re-apply it a little more often than I like.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By tatsngats:
View Quote
I think it sucks as a lubricant but is a great rust preventative.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top