Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2021 3:00:28 PM EDT
A local shop has what looks like a screaming deal on a Bergera BXR (10/22 clone).  It looks to have all of the parts I would put on a 10/22 build - (30moa rail, CF barrel, decent stock, good feeling trigger) and the price is less than half of what I would spend building a comparable 10/22 - assuming I could find the parts now.  I already have the B14R, so I am both familiar with the brand and satisfied at their basic quality, but who doesn't need an extra 10/22...  The added benefit is that I could use it as a nrl22 base class gun with the right optic (where the B14R couldn't fit.).  

So, does anyone have one?  What are your experiences?  Are there any reasons I wouldn't want this gun?
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok, I guess nobody owns one, nobody likes them, and I shouldn't waste my $$.  Got it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I have only fingerbanged one in the store, I didn't like the trigger and would replace it with a Kidd, I'm sure the barrel is decent assuming it's the same blanks as their rimfire bolt action.

I have a Bergara barreled rimfire bolt action that I slapped in a Manners stock and put Triggertech trigger in it.

It shoots almost as well as some of my target rifles.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 9:15:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: merc556] [#5]
I have the BXR Carbon Fiber Barrel Rifle and I absolutely love it! I can damn near put every shot in the same hole with Eley Club ammo at 50yds. I’m going to use it in my next ARA Factory Class Match. I don’t think I will have any problem shooting a 2500 with it
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#6]
In another post here I was asking about them, the idea of an upgraded 10/22 that still fits in base class is what appeals to me. Most concerning is in all tiers of rifles built on the10/22, I have seen lots of functional issues with reliability just not satisfying

I am also considering the tcr performance center which is in the same price range.

Haven’t seen much on the tcr, but at least initially the reports on the bergara were not flattering in regards to accuracy and reliability perhaps they have ironed them out since introducing it ?
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 4:14:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: barrysuperhawk] [#7]
Well I bought it

And then the "miracle of the mount" happened and it was literally dead on zeroed at 20 yd without having to touch an adjustment.  

So I fired five rounds to verify and was happy with that and then the next rounds was at nrl22 match in which I managed to place first place. I should have done this sooner. If anybody is wondering about buying a bergara bxr, don't hesitate.  It seems like it has all of the special cool features that I would have put onto a stock 10/22 already together.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 1:22:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPTmorgan] [#8]
A month later, are you still happy with BXR?
Reliable?
Utube is full of BXR feed issues using both Bergara & Ruger mags, so I'm curious if yours is running well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 2:02:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok, I'm not prepared to do a full review, but I will make a few points.

First off, I LOVE this rifle, this is about my favorite rifle overall, and absolutely my favorite .22.  

The Carbon fiber barrel is every bit as accurate as the steel barrel on my B14R.

I like the stock.  I wish it had an adjustable comb, but the lack inspired me to mount my scope lower than I had originally, which helps minimize the need.  

The magazines.
The actual Bergera mag is good for molding kydex mag pouches but thats it.  It's like you showed a chinese company a picture of a 10/22 magazine and they made a knockoff.
I only use proven 10/22 mags, and I generally try to run at least 100 rounds through each mag before I "trust" them.  I have found that out of every 10 factory ruger mags, one is absolute trash with loading/feeding issues, and at least one more is slightly oversized and will feed but not drop free on my target guns.  Those mags get painted for use in my appleseed rifle which is old and sloppy as heck - every mag Drops free from that rifle.
So, I already had a fairly large pile of mags that were proven in my target 10/22s.  Every magazine that I proved in a 10/22 has also worked flawlessly in the Bergera.  

A further word on Magazines.
I have fully transitioned to the CLEAR 10/22 factory 10 round Ruger mags and I don't like the newer "frosted" nearly as much as the older non-frosted.  My reject rate for those is almost double that of the old skool black and the smooth clears.  I ordered 20 of the frosted clear from an online retailer about the same time I bought this rifle (because it was a smokin deal).  Of that 20, two seem internally rough and don't feed smoothly, and FIVE feed OK but are varying degrees of oversized that cause them not to drop free in any of my target rifles.  Since I now have over a dozen "rejects" I intend to make a project out of seeing what I can do to "fix" the problematic mags.  I will also see if I can find a way to rehabilitate the ones that won't feed right.  

A word on the Bergera and feeding.  The BXR is noticeably tighter than even my Kidd, and seems to require a squirt of oil every 50 rounds or so to remain all slick and happy.  .22 Schmutz is gooey which means it wants to be cleaned alot more often.  This goes double for the magazines...  This problem is exacerbated by only firing standard velocity rounds which typically have less oomph to operate the action.  When I zeroed and tested this rifle I noticed that I could feel when it was getting sluggish, then a couple squirts or rem oil and I was back in business.  My gun likes to be run WET.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 5:53:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, appreciate the feedback on both BXR and 10/22 mags.  BXR is next on my shopping list.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Any updates on this rifle?  I'm in the market for one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top