Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2021 12:14:21 PM EDT
Has anyone tried this ammo?  Results?

I bought a few boxes a while back, never got around to trying it until about a month ago.  Found out the hard way that's it's too long to fit in any of my mags, about 2.92" OAL.  My fault for not looking into it.

I had other rifles and ammo to shoot, so I didn't bother trying to single load it in either 308 I had with me that day.

But, I have an XR-100 in 308 that this stuff may be good for, since it's a single shot anyway.

I know this rifle is pretty rare, so this is a long shot, but does anyone else have a 308 XR-100, and have you tried this ammo with it?

TIA!
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:35:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#2]
2.920" IS longer than SAAMI spec but the rounds may have been intentionally loaded to that length (for competition / maximum performance)...  Berger currently does not list a 155.5 grain offering in their loaded ammunition section of their website...  was this ammunition hand loaded?

So, there are some rifle manufacturers that build rifles that will chamber this round...  and some magazine manufacturers that make magazines that will fit it.  If your rifle takes AICS magazines, Short Action Precision makes 5-round and 10--round magazines that will allow COALs up to 2.950"!  

You might also try chambering a round to make sure that it chambers easily without jamming the bullet into the lands...
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#3]
It's factory ammo, bought from Target Sports.  They still have it listed, but OOS.

Rifle was a GAP Custom, mag was an AI.  I didn't try chambering a round, and didn't even bother trying the PMags I had along for my OBR.

And yes, reviews say it is loaded intentionally long.

I got the 2.92" from a review.  Just measured it myself.

And compared to a 168 gr Hornady AMAX.  (Measured 2.804")

Also, just tried, it chambers normally in my XR-100.  What is doesn't do is eject, too long.  

Doesn't seem to be hitting the lands.  At least, I don't see anything on the bullet.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:21:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#5]
If you measure several rounds you will notice some variability in COAL.  You might find some that will fit in a mag you have.  Otherwise, you have some very nice, single feed ammunition to shoot out of your GAP Custom!  

I have 4 AICS mags.  The longest is an Accurate Mag and it measures @ 2.987" although it is only advertised at 2.950.  If you are inclined, a mag without a binder plate HERE is likely to be the longest you will find on the market.

My Magpul measures out at 2.885" fwiw...

In addition, save the brass as it is great reloading brass...  and if you don't reload, save it for 1 of your friends that do!
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Reorx:
If you measure several rounds you will notice some variability in COAL.  You might find some that will fit in a mag you have.  Otherwise, you have some very nice, single feed ammunition to shoot out of your GAP Custom!  

I have 4 AICS mags.  The longest is an Accurate Mag and it measures @ 2.987" although it is only advertised at 2.950.  If you are inclined, a mag without a binder plate HERE is likely to be the longest you will find on the market.

My Magpul measures out at 2.885" fwiw...

In addition, save the brass as it is great reloading brass...  and if you don't reload, save it for 1 of your friends that do!
View Quote

That's why the XR-100 was my 1st thought.

It's at least as accurate as my GAP, if not more so.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Does the box say Palma anywhere on it?
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#8]
It’s Palma ammo.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 8:28:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Does the box say Palma anywhere on it?
View Quote

It might.  I haven't broken out my glasses.  Damn my old eyes!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Fullbore and Palma

Fullbore and Palma are long range prone matches shot with slings and iron sights. Rifles are loaded one shot at a time. Long loaded ammo is the norm. Magazine length isn’t a consideration because rounds go in through the port.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AR-180:
Fullbore and Palma

Fullbore and Palma are long range prone matches shot with slings and iron sights. Rifles are loaded one shot at a time. Long loaded ammo is the norm. Magazine length isn’t a consideration because rounds go in through the port.
View Quote

Yea, they just won't come back out of the port.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 5:27:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Buy a set of dies and seat the bullet deeper.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:06:44 AM EDT
[#14]
It would be interesting to measure the Berger bullet distance to ogive and compare the ogive measurement to other common rounds you shoot.  It may be that Berger is trying to get the ogive as close to the lands as possible.

When loading ammo for precision rifles, I take three measurements:  

1.  Overall cartridge length so the rounds will fit in the magazine and operate properly.

2.  Length from base of the cartridge to ogive (where the bullet's taper finally reaches the bore diameter..in a 308, that would be .308-.3085" (depending on your rifle's bore).

3.  Measurement of my rifles distance from bolt face to where the lands begin, and compare that with the #2 measurement above.  This would give me either the amount of bullet jump before engaging the lands, or tell me that the bullet is already into the lands.  

Some bullets are most accurate when they engage the lands, while other bullets are most accurate with some jump prior to engaging the lands.  Adjusting the ogive to lands measurement requires custom bullet seating to a specific length.   And any time you are messing with bullets seated into the lands the increase. in cartridge pressure needs to be considered and dealt with.

Berger has a well earned reputation for accuracy and reliability, so my guess is that they (Berger) has already considered all the above.  I suspect that Berger has already considered the increase in pressure IF the ogive is seated to engage the lands.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 12:03:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Targis:
Buy a set of dies and seat the bullet deeper.
View Quote

I have dies, hadn't thought of that.

I only have 2 boxes, though.  I'll shoot them in my XR-100, and if they're decent, maybe buy more.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 2:09:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By mi650:

View Quote
Once it's fired it should eject like normal brass.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Matt_The_Hokie:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Matt_The_Hokie:
Originally Posted By mi650:

I chambered a round and didn't have the time to fire it.

I never thought about not being able to eject it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#18]
This bullet is designed for Palma tournaments. 30" barrels and usually 1/13" twist rates. Palma rules limit maximum bullet weight to 156 grains.

They are loaded as hot as safety will allow for use in specific chambers designed for Palma competition. 2950 fps +/- from a 30+ length barrel.

I would not shoot that ammo in a standard chamber .308.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 4:16:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mi650] [#19]
Not much choice but to shoot it now, at least the 1 round.

I could try and pull it out with pliers I guess, but not too thrilled about that idea.

ETA:  I'm a dumbass.  Why not take the bolt out.  

In my defense, I'm sicker than hell with pneumonia.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top