Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2018 10:51:26 AM EDT
My .308 AR 10 is denting case necks. It may have been doing it all along but I had previously been giving my brass to a friend that reloads .308. I'm now reloading .308 so I just started noticing it. My dies straighten it out but when I'm chamfering the necks I can feel a bump (presumably where the dent was). As I read this I'm thinking I should put this in the reloading section but since it's a function of the rifle that's causing the initial problem then maybe I'll get more great advice here. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Generally occurs when the brass hits the shell deflector.

You can try clipping 1 to 1.5 coils from the ejector spring.

You can try an adjustable gas block, turned down slightly, so slow extraction.

You can try adding a piece of Velcro to the shell deflector to soften the impact.

Or any combination of the above.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rob78:

You can try adding a piece of Velcro to the shell deflector to soften the impact.

View Quote
I think you hit it with the gas block adjustment. When I set it up I could never get the bolt to hold open on an empty mag (magpul mags). I gave it a couple of extra turns trying to get it to hold open but it never did and I didn't go back and re-set it up. It's probably just over gassed at this point.

Thank you for your response, I think you nailed it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By sschefer:
I think you hit it with the gas block adjustment. When I set it up I could never get the bolt to hold open on an empty mag (magpul mags). I gave it a couple of extra turns trying to get it to hold open but it never did and I didn't go back and re-set it up. It's probably just over gassed at this point.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sschefer:
Originally Posted By rob78:

As a reloader I do what I can to save brass.  I've got a creedmoor and it too some figuring out to stop getting dents in the case shoulder.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:
Restrict the gas flow... not open it more.

I wasn't sure if that was what you meant.

I usually start at 15% opened, and open one click at a time until it consistently Locks back on a empty mag... then add one more click open.
View Quote
I'm cutting it back. Few .308's will lock open on an empty Magpul mag so you just open the gas block until it full cycles and see where your cases are landing. Ideally they'll land at about 2:00 O'clock. Mine are landing at about 4. Haven't been out to the range since my first post but I'll get it done next week if the wind will let up a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top