Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2021 6:35:25 PM EDT
Good afternoon,

I understand people use shin stock to bed barrel extensions. I have not mic’d receiver however, I’d guess there’s no more than .004 between it and my extension. I’ve got loctite 680 and it can be used to fill voids up to .016. The temperature range is 350 degrees. I’m wondering if anyone has used only loctite to bed barrel extension?
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#1]
do you mean sticking a piece in between the barrel extension and inside the upper or a circular thin washer like shim under the barrel nut?  the way i know about bedding the barrel and upper is to use a tool to true the face of the upper.  then use loctite to fill between the barrel extension and upper, the area where the extension slides inside the upper, then torque the barrel nut on.  the threads are not loctited
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I think he mean around the diameter of the barrel extension. I go for a thermal tension fit myself.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 4:51:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CNC_Guy:
I think he mean around the diameter of the barrel extension. I go for a thermal tension fit myself.
View Quote

Yes, this is what I’m talking about. Thermal tension would be better no question. Not trying to be tight but if loctite can serve the same purpose, I wasn’t going to spend 20 bucks for a piece of 1x3x.001 shim stock lol. The smallest I’ve found locally is .005.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 4:59:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: K1LLD33R] [#5]
Originally Posted By Ih784:

Yes, this is what I’m talking about. Thermal tension would be better no question. Not trying to be tight but if loctite can serve the same purpose, I wasn’t going to spend 20 bucks for a piece of 1x3x.001 shim stock lol. The smallest I’ve found locally is .005.
View Quote

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/scope-shims/kit-no-ac-24-steel-shim-stock-prod589.aspx

This is what I used, gives you a selection of thicknesses for this project and most others down the road, I was able to cut two shims from a single rectangle piece

ETA
Was also an excellent tool for finding the thickness needed to order a few takedown pin shims from triggershims
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 5:50:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FlowersForFoes:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/scope-shims/kit-no-ac-24-steel-shim-stock-prod589.aspx

This is what I used, gives you a selection of thicknesses for this project and most others down the road, I was able to cut two shims from a single rectangle piece

ETA
Was also an excellent tool for finding the thickness needed to order a few takedown pin shims from triggershims
View Quote

I seriously doubt I’ll ever use anything over .002. 20 bucks plus shipping for at the most two pieces of metal smaller than an aluminum can isn’t happening. If I could find some local I might do it.  At least one guy has used just loctite. I’ll do that and see what happens.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 6:57:10 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

Send me your address-----I'll mail you a piece of .0011 stainless,enough for a couple builds.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DanaHillen:

Send me your address-----I'll mail you a piece of .0011 stainless,enough for a couple builds.
View Quote

Awesome, Thank you so much!
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 12:24:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I have used Loctite 620 and 609 to bed barrel extensions in upper receivers. After torqueing the barrel in place I point the upper muzzle down and let it sit 24 hours to cure. Make sure none of the Loctite seeped inside the upper receiver.

Placing a lamp next to the upper will apply light heat and help the curing process.

Link Posted: 8/30/2021 4:32:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I used the shim stock that was sent to me and heated up the receiver. It was a perfect fit. I helped the barrel/shim slide in by using 680.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 5:21:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I've done it, very hard to get the barrel out later if you ever want to.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 6:04:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 6:38:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I used the shim stock that was sent to me and heated up the receiver. It was a perfect fit. I helped the barrel/shim slide in by using 680.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2021 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#14]
If you want to do it and I mean do it.

Skim JBWELD.  It won’t breakdown like the locktite can.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@danahillen where did you pick up the shim stock?  

Have several builds on the back burner and looking to get some.  Perhaps that multipack from Brownells is the way to go since I have both AR15’s and AR10’s waiting to be built.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I used to buy or order, I think I had to order, 12" feeler gauge blades off the Snap-On truck. I cut them to custom lengths and wrapped cloth tape for handles to adjust motorcycle valves. Also bought a .0015 blade to use for thin shim stock.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By BBTC_MH:

Have several builds on the back burner and looking to get some.  Perhaps that multipack from Brownells is the way to go since I have both AR15’s and AR10’s waiting to be built.
View Quote

I bought it from ebay..........I just looked and it's no longer listed.
I still have a long strip 6" wide........send your address and I'll mail ya some.....

@BBTC_MH
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 11:55:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#19]
Originally Posted By BBTC_MH:

View Quote

Go by a local automotive or industrial machine shop.  Talk to a machinist.  They always have very thin .001", .0015" and .002" shim stock.  Chances are they will just give you a few strips or sell to you for next to nothing.  That's how I sourced mine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 2:52:33 AM EDT
[#20]
As far as heat goes; your barrel extension will never, ever get close to 350 degrees, so you do not need to worry about that part.

We were testing aluminum barrel nuts on an M16 and after 120 rounds through two D60 drums, the barrel nut only gained 8 degrees of temperature.  Not an area that gets very hot at all.

.004" is really pretty tight, but if you can shim it, do that and then use some Loctite.  Never use thread locker on the threads, though(I know it's said here a lot, but people so do it!).

Good luck and if you shoot before and after shimming the barrel, it would be neat to see your results!
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been desperately looking for some shim stock as well but I don't remember the thicknesses that I need and my digital calipers died unfortunately. Seems everywhere is wanting crazy prices. The most important for me is my Grendel barrel. Already had the upper trued at Paladin bmachine shop years ago.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 7:10:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: snakeyes711] [#22]
I've been wanting to do this for a while now.  I do have some. 002" starrett shim too. Is that too big?
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top