Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2018 7:20:21 PM EDT
I need to make a few of these, for me and for the boys and girl.

What's your preferred bag and media?  I was thinking of getting some pinto beans, and somehow waterproof them with some thompson's water seal or some kind of glue or something.  But maybe I am over thinking it.

I also considered picking up some kind of plastic beads like hacky sacks have.

What do you guys use?

The media can be different - 8 year old boy, 10 year old girl, 11 year old boy.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a sock full of airsoft pellets. They're lighter than sand and don't absorb water.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Crown royal bag of coffee beans
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 9:58:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Wdsman:
I use a sock full of airsoft pellets. They're lighter than sand and don't absorb water.
View Quote
This, I used a dog bone made for bird dogs and opened and installed airsoft beads..works good but since then have picked up a few bags from triad tactical for super cheap and like them even better..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 10:17:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Aquarium gravel is what you seek.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 11:32:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#5]
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 44-40pro:
Aquarium gravel is what you seek.
View Quote
Nice.  I like that idea over beads, since they seem like they would settle too fast. The angular nature of the aquarium gravel would seem to be stiffer and hold position better.

But the commercial bags are way cheaper than I though, so I'll probably make a few for a fun project for the kids, while I order some commercial bags for myself.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Rugby sock with a pantyhose filled with plastic beads inside.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I just use the Caldwell bags from the local gun shop. So far I am happy with them and the cost makes it not worth the hassle to make your own
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:29:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#9]
I have 3 (2 poly pellets & 1 fish tank gravel) that I made and 1 that I bought (poly pellets).  They all work well.  I like the ones that I made because while I am putting one together, I can customize the size and firmness to my needs, wants, desires.  My typical sock uses an old tube sock, 2 or 3 zip-ties and whatever medium I am using.  I fill the sock with as much medium as needed and then pull the sock "tight" around the medium and throw on a zip-tie to maintain that "tightness".  I then turn the remaining sock inside out creating a 2nd layer of sock - pull tight and zip-tie again.  If there is enough sock for a 2nd inside-out (3rd sock layer) I give that a trial to see which I like better 2 layers or 3.  If 3, I do the same pull tight and zip-tied.  The finished sock always has a tail of the remaining sock.

S.P.: Forgot to mention to pull the zip-ties as tight as possible and then cut the "tails" off.  I use a wire cutter and cut them off as short as possible...  
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
have picked up a few bags from triad tactical for super cheap and like them even better..
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/fullsizeoutput_3be-565376.JPG
View Quote
This, and the basic TAB bags are not that pricey.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#11]
tag.

I made one from canvas bag and popcorn kernels.  It doesn't hold its shape well enough.  I've been looking at "heavy sand" sold by brownells.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I use a Rifles Only rear bag from Triad Tactical. Not too big, not too small.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:37:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Try poly pellets also known as doll fill. Lighter than sand and holds its shape well. It's what the commercial bags are filled with.
View Quote
Yep they work great.  And they don't retain water
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 1:16:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ssgballistics] [#15]
I like to use synthetic vase fill in a standard issue OD green sock. Cheap and easy to make.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 10:59:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Poly beads is what you seek. Use heavy cloth and make your own with Para-Cord ties sewn inside to create a loop.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 11:05:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jwb211] [#17]
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#18]
BoxToBench Precision ultra-lite bag fill. https://www.boxtobenchprecision.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top