Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2019 6:45:21 PM EDT
I am looking for a basic but reliable tripod setup. I am a recreational shooter, 95% target shooting/ 5% hunting. I have access to areas where I can shoot at any distance I would like. This will be used with AR15s, AR10s, and at some point a bolt gun. I was looking to purchase the following three items as my first tripod setup. Total will be under $500 direct from Hog Saddle:

1) PIG Saddle
2) PIG0311-G Field Tripod
3) GNN FB-52 Ball Head

Any reason not to go with this setup? Alternatives I should consider for any of the items listed above? Please let me know, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]
My brother has that exact setup. Very stable and affordable. I have a Nightstalker with an RRS MLOK adapter on my 6.5CM AR. Not as versatile, but that's all I use it for.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I use one just without the ball head. Unless your shoot a reasonable amount of up or down, I prefer to not use it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#3]
With ball head:

Without:

I think I like it much better without the ball head, but others like the ball head.  Just depends.

It is easier to quickly adjust the ball head, but I never feel like it's as stable.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 12:56:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for all the replies. And thank you for the pictures @LRRPF52, looks like some good times. I ended up going with the Hog saddle, tripod and basic ball head (forget the name, lowest price option). The ball head is so easy to attach and remove as needed, I don't regret purchasing it, especially considering I do a decent amount of high/low angle shooting. Buy through Brownells w/ coupons for the best price if anyone uses this thread for future reference.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Gas pedal.

Snipers & Precision Shooters | A Simple Trick You Need to Know
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 11:29:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gunsandgear] [#6]
@firemedic5586 Very informative, thank you. Going to have to order some 7mm cord today and give it a shot.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 6:06:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#7]
Not to hijack, but if I have the same tripod and buy a pig saddle, what’s the best no frills, non-ball head mount to use for the buck? Or will the pig/hog saddle thread right onto the male stud at the top of the tripod?
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cms81586:
Not to hijack, but if I have the same tripod and buy a pig saddle, what’s the best no frills, non-ball head mount to use for the buck? Or will the pig/hog saddle thread right onto the male stud at the top of the tripod?
View Quote
The saddle will thread right to the top of the tripod. No adapter/ball head needed.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By A-36Pilot:

The saddle will thread right to the top of the tripod. No adapter/ball head needed.
View Quote
Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top