Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2020 12:43:01 AM EDT
I bought a new Remington 700 5R Gen 2 in 6.5. The plan is to put into a MDT chassis. I figured this rifle would be able to far out shoot my skill level. Rifle has been sitting in the box waiting for a night I had some free time. I pulled it out of the box and was looking it over. Went to take off the thread protector when I noticed some nicks or chips out of the barrel crown. Looks kind of like the crown was cut by my 6 year old running the machine.

Kind of looking for advice on what I should do. Call Remington and see what they say? Shoot the gun first to see how it does and then call Remington if there is an issue? Have it fixed myself?

Can a barrel be re-crowned without having to cut the length? Really don’t want to lose any length on this barrel.

I will try and post a picture tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 7:15:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:22:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BlindFaith429] [#2]
You may be able to do a slightly recessed crown, depending on how much meat is there between the bore and the threads. This wouldnt effect anything in terms of the threads / shoulder.

You may be able to face the whole muzzle, just barely skimming the muzzle, but would reduce the amount of threads you have. I imagine it wouldnt be an issue as long as your muzzle device / suppressor located on the shoulder of the threads. I'm no expert, so you may want to double check.

Edit: What route you go will be determined by how deep the marks are.

You may be able to have Remington re-do it, but I'm sure there are some people who would rather have a smith fix it and ensure a good quality crown. That would be a choice you would need to make.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Will wait to see the pic but a common issue with Remington.
View Quote
This and how does it shoot? Crown issues are not 100% impact on accuracy. Yes they can impact accuracy but it is not guaranteed. I have one rifle that took a fall and landed directly on its crown. Good gouge in the crown and I thought It would be toast. Was planning on recrowning until I shot it. It shoots fine so it stays the way it is.

On a new rifle you may want to address it with customer service but it may or may not affect function.

Ymmv.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top