Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2019 12:02:17 PM EDT
I tried a search with no luck. Has anyone tried one of these? I shot my HMR yesterday and was surprised by how fast it got hot, particularly with the suppressor on. On a related note, what temperature range would start to cause issues-either accuracy or accelerated barrel wear?
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought one of these and used it at a match last weekend.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073T3H3B4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have no empirical data whether it helped or not.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:
I bought one of these and used it at a match last weekend.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073T3H3B4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have no empirical data whether it helped or not.
View Quote
What was the pace of fire at the match?
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#3]
My buddy uses a chamber chiller, it seems to help..he is doing load work up and try to have the chamber temp as close to the same as he can get it..he thinks it's helping...
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure how much they actually do, but the magneto speed is definitely the one that moves the most air through the barrel.  I don't know much about metallurgy, but I just cant picture moving ambient air through and already hot barrel is going to cool it a whole lot.

Matchers I shoot are often 10-12 rounds in 90 seconds, with a typically no less than 30 minutes between the next stage.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#5]
These work great
No batteries to replace, rechargeable.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
I'm not sure how much they actually do, but the magneto speed is definitely the one that moves the most air through the barrel.  I don't know much about metallurgy, but I just cant picture moving ambient air through and already hot barrel is going to cool it a whole lot.

Matchers I shoot are often 10-12 rounds in 90 seconds, with a typically no less than 30 minutes between the next stage.
View Quote
Moving ambient air cools because ambient air is cooler than the barrel. Air cooled internal combustion engines.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Tejas1836:

Moving ambient air cools because ambient air is cooler than the barrel. Air cooled internal combustion engines.
View Quote
Yes, but the question is how much faster.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
Yes, but the question is how much faster.
View Quote
Faster than no moving air.
Question is, how valuable is your time at the range?
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I remember stories of the old school benchrest and target guys just dumping water on their barrels.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By MSC182:

What was the pace of fire at the match?
View Quote
The pace TeeRex describes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:

The pace TeeRex describes.
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Tejas1836:

Faster than no moving air.
Question is, how valuable is your time at the range?
View Quote
I guess I don't worry about it.  I shoot competitively and it's pretty harsh firing schedule.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 10:13:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#13]
I shoot competitively as well, very often 10 shots in under 120 seconds is the pace. During the warm months the barrel is entirely too hot to touch by the end of a string. If I have ice available, I'll set a cube above the chamber or throat and run it up and down the barrel till it's at ambient-ish temp. If not ice, I'll pour water over it BUT NOT INSIDE IT. I only do this because during the warm months the match is less popular and so I don't have as much time for natural cooling to work between stages.

How hot is too hot, when your skin doesn't like holding on to it with a firm grip, it's already too hot. The result of shooting it while it's too hot is shorter barrel life (specifically throat cooking) and most guns start opening the heck out of their group size as they heat up for a suite of reasons. Competitors firing long strings quickly are also by definition NOT letting the ammo bake in the chamber, we're closing the bolt and promptly sending the round downrange as a matter of necessity. Otherwise it's hard to get 10 rounds off in 90-120 seconds on a bolt gun while actually hitting targets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top