Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2015 6:35:08 PM EDT
Here's what I'm looking for/at:  I have a very good optic that's etched for 7.62x51 "M80" ammunition. (147gr. approx 2,750fps)
I would like to use that same optic on my 18" bbl Safety Harbor upper.
I have ~500 647gr. API bullets and the ability to make quality reloads, plus a Chronograph to test them with; problem is I don't really have a range of sufficient distance to test them with, so I'd like to have something close before traveling away to test them.
Can someone give me a target velocity and/or suggest Ball or other ammo to try to get as close to the same drop as the 7.62?
ie; zero at 100yds (yea, I know but there's a method to my madness) -2.1@200yds, etc.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#1]
M80 is going to be a G1 BC of about .385, velocity of ~2800fps.

IIRC, the AP/API/APIT/FMJ .50 bullets have a G1 BC up in the .6's..  .67 or something.

2500-2550fps in the .50 will keep you within about 1 MOA or so out to 700yd.  A little low to start, they meet up at ~575yd, then the 50 will get higher and higher from there on out because of the better BC.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 2:45:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LedZeppelin] [#2]
Double tap
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top