Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2022 1:03:16 PM EDT
I need a few optics for a couple rifles that are more range oriented. I have high end optics on “serious” rifles so I wanted to give the SH4 a shot. Saw the ARF email yesterday for 30% off so I said F-it and bought a Mil 4-16x. Looks like pretty good reviews online. I’ll toss it on my 12.5” grendel micro RECCE and see how it does. Anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with these things?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I did the same but got the MOA version.  I'm putting together an AR308 and needed a scope.  I figure for the price, if I don't like it, I can throw it on a .22 bolt gun I have that needs a scope yet.  I also bought one of their scope mounts.

Reviews were mixed with more leaning toward the scope being good for the money than not.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#2]
They’re a little heavy but for the features and warranty I figured it’s worth the shot.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I have quite a few of them on my .22LR rifles.  Optically, I think they are almost on par with my Vortex PST II 3-15x44.  And I like their reticle.  But they are a heck a lot heavier and likely not nearly as durable as the Vortex.  For the price, they are excellent.  

Now, I pretty sure I am on the arf mailing list, but I can't find the email.  What is this 30% off code you speak of?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:28:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GimpsUnlimited:
I have quite a few of them on my .22LR rifles.  Optically, I think they are almost on par with my Vortex PST II 3-15x44.  And I like their reticle.  But they are a heck a lot heavier and likely not nearly as durable as the Vortex.  For the price, they are excellent.  

Now, I pretty sure I am on the arf mailing list, but I can't find the email.  What is this 30% off code you speak of?
View Quote

Use "SAVE30%" to get 30% off in stock items.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:32:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#5]
Originally Posted By GimpsUnlimited:

View Quote

Good to know. I was going to throw it on this 12.5” Grendel. The current PST 1-4x doesn’t have enough magnification for beyond about 400yds. The thing is almost too light to shoot accurately so a little mass won’t hurt. If I’m not impressed it can live on my CZ455 Varmint. It should work well on that with the reticle for longer range stuff.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine arrived in the mail yesterday.  The thing is definitely stout!  The reticle is a bit hard to see at 4x but that might change once I actually mount it and start using it.  So far, after playing with it for 10 minutes, I'm happy with my purchase.  Hopefully it will stand up well after mounting it and using it on my gun.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Neomonk21:
Mine arrived in the mail yesterday.  The thing is definitely stout!  The reticle is a bit hard to see at 4x but that might change once I actually mount it and start using it.  So far, after playing with it for 10 minutes, I'm happy with my purchase.  Hopefully it will stand up well after mounting it and using it on my gun.
View Quote

Mine should be here tomorrow. If I’m not happy with it then I’ve already prepared to drop it onto my CZ 455 Varmint. Ordered a DIP picatinny rail and some rings.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got two SH-4 scopes.  One 4-16x on a .308 and one 6-24x that I had on a 6mm ARC.  I like them for the money.  They track well, decent glass and the zero stop is easy to set.

So far they are every bit as good as the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 I have on my 6.5 Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Came in today. Initial impressions…other than being a porker, I’m pretty impressed. Optics are clear and knob function feels nice. As long as it tracks and holds a zero I’m going to give this thing a shot.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:18:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bestrafen] [#10]
I have two of them. One is on a .50BMG, and the other is on a Remington 7MM Mag.
I would suggest using "Vibra tite VC-3" on the turret set screws if you're using it on a heavy recoil rifle, the .50 tended to loosen them after every ten rounds.

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Bestrafen:
I have two of them. One is on a .50BMG, and the other is on a Remington 7MM Mag.
I would suggest using "Vibra tite VC-3" on the turret set screws if you're using it on a heavy recoil rifle, the .50 tended to loosen them after every ten rounds.

View Quote

Good to know!
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I impulse purchased the 6-24 mil version. Then had buyers paranoid remorse. Then watched and read a bunch of reviews and felt better.

Got it today and even after seeing all the reviews, it exceeded my expectations.  Glass and eyebox are better than expected.  Image was flat with almost no distortion  at the edges. A little chromatic aberration.  Dig the reticle and it's nice and sharp.  Parallax adjustments match yardage indicator as close as I could tell.  

Put it on my 22 for lr practice in some $21 monstrum Chinese rings to stay with the budget Chyna theme.

The knobs are comically large. Like the designer didnt know what turret knobs looked like so he modeled them after door knobs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I’m glad I found this thread. I need to see real users experience rather than a paid YouTuber. It’s damn near impossible to find an honest review of these scopes on YouTube. All of them start off with “Arken sent me this scope”. Then they end with “click my affiliate link in the description”

Can somebody take a pic of the turrets next to something for scale? I want to put one of these on a .17 hmr but I’m thinking it might be overkill.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I threw it on a 10/22 but took pics of the 3_12 bushnell engage before hand for scale.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks, I like the side by side comparison. I was just looking at the engage on euro optic. Which one do you prefer?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Mudzilla:
Thanks, I like the side by side comparison. I was just looking at the engage on euro optic. Which one do you prefer?
View Quote

I haven't got the sh4 out to the range yet. All my opinions so far are of messing with it in the yard.  I'm trying it out on the 22 to see if the extra magnification works better beyond 100y and that's what I'm shooting the most right now.  I dont have a very informed opinion of it for comparison yet.
I've got the 6-24 engage as well and was considering throwing it on the 22 before this deal came up.  I get them at the outlet discounted, so my cheap ass is a bushy fan..The 3-12s came from a $99 natchez deal.  The engage and forge scopes are great scopes. The engages tool less resetable turrets have spoiled me.  The 3-12 has tracked perfectly on the 22.
Dialed to 100.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:47:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FightingHellfish] [#17]
My Arken experience is with the EP-5, which is notionally a step up from the SH series in glass but basically very similar in parts and construction. I think the SH might be going away and that’s the reason for the 30% off.

I put mine on a “long range .22”, so the farthest I’ve used it is 300 yards, although I’ve looked at objects farther away with good results.

The glass is good. The knobs and tracking are excellent. The construction seems solid.

My concern is the parallax knob. The amount of knob movement between clear and blurry when focusing is very small, and somewhere around an indicated 300ish it is basically no longer making a visible difference. So, at longer ranges beyond 300, you can’t use visual clarity as a confirmation that there is no parallax.

I would use care with Arken scopes to insure that cheekweld and everything is just right to aid with repeatable  consistent eye position behind the optic.

Some reviewers have also found Arken to not be watertight under full immersion. Hopefully that is fixed.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By bendigo78:
I impulse purchased the 6-24 mil version. Then had buyers paranoid remorse. Then watched and read a bunch of reviews and felt better.

Got it today and even after seeing all the reviews, it exceeded my expectations.  Glass and eyebox are better than expected.  Image was flat with almost no distortion  at the edges. A little chromatic aberration.  Dig the reticle and it's nice and sharp.  Parallax adjustments match yardage indicator as close as I could tell.  

Put it on my 22 for lr practice in some $21 monstrum Chinese rings to stay with the budget Chyna theme.

The knobs are comically large. Like the designer didnt know what turret knobs looked like so he modeled them after door knobs.
View Quote

I decided to do the same. Not going to bother with it on the .308 as the MWS is already a little piggish. Going to throw a MK5HD onto that and most the Arken to my CZ455 Varmint. It will go well on that rifle as I take it out to 400yds regularly and holding over with a duplex reticle sucks. I figure for under $300 it’s not a terrible choice for a nice .22 rifle.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:11:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#19]
Oh my….this thing is great on a .22LR.

CZ455 Varmint 16” threaded
Harris bipod
DIP 25 MOA base
An old AAC Pilot suppressor

Could use a trigger job but awesome otherwise. It’s an MOA shooter at 100yds with CCI SV.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Mudzilla:
View Quote

Got out this weekend for some 22 work with the sh4 and engage.  Sighting in the sh4, I took one shot, measured the error with the reticle, adjusted the dials, next shot was less than a half inch low.  The sh4 worked well bouncing from 50 to 100yds with the 22. The parallax doesnt line up with the knob quite as well as I originally thought and was touchy but worked fine.  

Swapping between the sh4 and the engage the biggest difference was the image brightness and quality.   This engage is only a 3-12 30mm tube but everytime I went from the sh4 to the engage my eyeball did a happy dance. Colors are brighter, with more contrast and sharper.  The image is so much better that I dont feel the need for more magnification when shooting 1 inch pasters at 100 with its 12x compared to the sh4s 24x.  

Was just at the bushnell outlet over lunch and they had the engage 4-16 ffp mil/mil xmas tree illuminated reticle for $60 more than what I paid for the sh4. On the way home I thought about if I could trade the sh4 with cash for the engage, would I?  

Yep, everyday and twice on sunday.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Got out this weekend for some 22 work with the sh4 and engage.  Sighting in the sh4, I took one shot, measured the error with the reticle, adjusted the dials, next shot was less than a half inch low.  The sh4 worked well bouncing from 50 to 100yds with the 22. The parallax doesnt line up with the knob quite as well as I originally thought and was touchy but worked fine.  

Swapping between the sh4 and the engage the biggest difference was the image brightness and quality.   This engage is only a 3-12 30mm tube but everytime I went from the sh4 to the engage my eyeball did a happy dance. Colors are brighter, with more contrast and sharper.  The image is so much better that I dont feel the need for more magnification when shooting 1 inch pasters at 100 with its 12x compared to the sh4s 24x.  

Was just at the bushnell outlet over lunch and they had the engage 4-16 ffp mil/mil xmas tree illuminated reticle for $60 more than what I paid for the sh4. On the way home I thought about if I could trade the sh4 with cash for the engage, would I?  

Yep, everyday and twice on sunday.
View Quote

I don't see an FFP Engage on Bushnell's site.  There is a Match Pro scope that is similar to what you describe.  Was it that one?  I'd like to find one in person to look through it sometime.  My first real scope was a Bushnell and I've always liked them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 6:22:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bendigo78] [#22]
It maybe a closeout.  

Heres the part number.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Cool, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Midway has the Engage 6-24 FFP MOA on sale for $366.04

linky
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 4:20:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Midway has the Engage 6-24 FFP MOA on sale for $366.04

linky
View Quote

That's very tempting, thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

It's down to $335 today.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Okay my review, first it replaced a fixed 16x SWFA SS on my ruger american hunter in 6.5 c. I also have a 12x SWFA SS, so I know the series pretty well.

First yes it is beefy, second its just big in every way, the knobs, the body etc etc. Thats okay I am not running miles upon miles carrying it.

I like the reticle its close enough to the SS that I really like, and am happy with it. Its nice to finally have some illumination, but I lived with out it before. The eye box is bigger than the 16x SS, but that just math on the objective/mag sizing. That was my number one and only complaint on the 16x SS, so the arken has it beat there. Clarity of the glass is decent but I think the 16x SS was/is better. I had more trouble seeing bullet holes at 200 yards with it, even thou its the same magnification. The focus knob as was stated is SENSTITIVE and there is the possibility that was my issue, but I dont think so. I can just see the lines on the target much more clearly with the 16X SS.

I think the 12x SS would probably see the lines on the target better at 200, then the arken does with more magnification. But I did not bring the 12x out to compare side by side.

It is my first FFP scope, I kind of like that. But since I tend to like the fixed power SS and never really change power on my variable scopes it really does not matter. I do think the positives out weigh the negs, but still like the clarity of my SS scopes. So it will probably stay for now, but if I had another rifle to scope, it would probably get a SS 12x. ( eye box bigger on the 12x than the 16X )

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:10:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MunnyShot] [#28]
With the 30% off it's hard to resist even though I'm pretty much set on optics. I couldn't resist the SH 4 6-24 Mil FFP. I figured it'd be a great trainer for the kids to get in some cheap .22 LR practice. I'm interested to see if the glass quality is on par with the PST Gen2 as others have stated.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I just received my SH4 6-24X $335.00 and compared to the Vortex PST Gen2 4-16X $575.00, I can say without a doubt the Vortex image it superior to the Arken. The image is more vivid and has more depth vs the Arken with each scope set at 16X. At 24X the Arken's image does drop off a bit more. CA on the Arken isn't as bad as seen on a lot of the YouTube vids but I don't yet have a lot of time behind the SH4. If you where to ask me if image was worth the extra $240.00 saved on the Arken  over the PST Gen2 I would probably say yes (due to durability not being included), but the SH4 at 459.00 it'd be a definite no.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:46:42 PM EDT
[#30]

It's down to $335 today.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It's down to $335 today.

I've got a BNIB Bushnell Nitro 5-20x44 SFP MOA for sale for 300 if there is any interest.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#31]
It maybe a closeout.  

Heres the part number.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26018/20220523_172120_jpg-2394640.JPG
View Quote

They take orders by phone, free shipping by FedEx, no out of state sales tax.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
Some reviewers have also found Arken to not be watertight under full immersion. Hopefully that is fixed.
View Quote

Yeah, I hear the scuba crowd has issued a "no purchase" recommendation.

FFS

What morons are expecting a bargain tier Chinese optic to be fully immersible?  That is a good negative benchmark of the reviewer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:46:58 PM EDT
[#33]
What’s your opinions on the reticle ? Looks pretty busy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I've got an SH-4 on my tikka t3.  I'm 100% satisfied with it.

Yes, it's huge, but i like the easily set zero step, and the large turrets with highly visible markings.  Also really like the reticle, but i realize that's highly subjective.  

It's heavy as hell, but i'm also not planning to carry it through the woods to hunt.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 8:23:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By DOG556:
What’s your opinions on the reticle ? Looks pretty busy.
View Quote

To me, the reticle is a little busy but I've also never used a reticle like that before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top