Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2019 9:48:08 PM EDT
I’m looking into a .308 and I remember a few years ago when the OBR was the kitties titties.   Does that still hold true?  Or have other guns come into the fold that perfor as well, or even better for a reasonable price?
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:34:25 PM EDT
[#1]
They still shoot the wings off flys at any distance and place well in the sniper comps.  If I were shopping for a precision gasser I wouldn’t consider anything else

Plus, they don’t bend when dropped.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 11:50:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By esa17:
They still shoot the wings off flys at any distance and place well in the sniper comps.  If I were shopping for a precision gasser I wouldn’t consider anything else

View Quote
Hahaha, that was funny.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I am still very happy with my 18 inch OBR.  Very accurate with all bullet weights up to 175.  Money well spent.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#4]
It’s my favorite gun to shoot for groups. Did swap out my barrel for a .260 LT barrel and upgraded to an MBT trigger
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#5]
You won't be able to build a better rifle for less money than a LaRue OBR.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By quietm4:
View Quote
How would you define better?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#7]
VERY happy with my OBR.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By esa17:

View Quote
Haha

To OP's question, yes they're still amazing. I've got an 18 inch .308 and it's only my second favorite gun because my first favorite shoots grenades.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 6:37:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GONIF] [#9]
Hard to beat any LaRue product ,them boys got their sh*t together . The price is not out of line for what you get .

About LaRue Firearm Accuracy:
LaRue accuracy is known world-wide. The accuracy of each LaRue Rifle is proven at our 100-yard tunnel using match-grade ammunition. No LaRue firearm can leave the facility unless it obtains accuracy of less-than 1 MOA (1.047”) at 100 Yards. Each firearm ships with a copy of a 3-round group obtained from that actual firearm. While we guarantee the rifle is capable of sub-MOA accuracy, we can not guarantee the end-user will be able to shoot sub-MOA…since we have no control over shooting proficiency, familiarity with the system, ammunition choice, environmental factors, etc. LaRue firearms are precision instruments that require discipline, training, proper ammunition and maintenance to yield the best results.

That is damn good for a semi auto rifle.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 7:38:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#10]
They are a good weapon system by most accounts. I’ve shot an older one that had the LW barrel and I was getting between .6 and .8moa 5 shot groups. The fit and finish was very nice. You’d likely be very happy with it.

Other options:
JP LRP-07
GAP-10
Seekins Precision SP-10
Falkor Defense
F4 Defense (sub 1/2moa guarantee w/ Craddock barrel)

Or, build your own. I’ve got an Aero receiver set that I put a Ballistic Advantage barrel on and it’s been a sub moa performer. One of the last times I took it out was in response to someone saying a large frame AR can’t shoot a 10 shot sub moa group. Using factory Hornady ammo, it went .7moa with 2 shots that I pulled. Not bad for a <1500$ rifle.

Enjoy whatever you decide on.

Edit: just saw this in my news feed.
Seekins Shooter MOA Guarantee
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
For the 3k+ Larue wants, you can easily build a precision AR with quality components for far less. Hell, I have just a hair under a grand less in my 6.5 CM with optic, and that shoots .65" groups all damned day.

It's a great rifle, but one can do better for the price if they are patient and willing to use some tools.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
They are a good weapon system by most accounts. I’ve shot an older one that had the LW barrel and I was getting between .6 and .8moa 5 shot groups. The fit and finish was very nice. You’d likely be very happy with it.

Other options:
JP LRP-07
GAP-10
Seekins Precision SP-10
Falkor Defense
F4 Defense (sub 1/2moa guarantee w/ Craddock barrel)

Or, build your own. I’ve got an Aero receiver set that I put a Ballistic Advantage barrel on and it’s been a sub moa performer. One of the last times I took it out was in response to someone saying a large frame AR can’t shoot a 10 shot sub moa group. Using factory Hornady ammo, it went .7moa with 2 shots that I pulled. Not bad for a <1500$ rifle.

Enjoy whatever you decide on.
View Quote
Hmmmm, who was it? I got similarly challenged. Only 100m at the house so lots of maths which I shouldn’t do in magic marker
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By lew:

For the 3k+ Larue wants, you can easily build a precision AR with quality components for far less. Hell, I have just a hair under a grand less in my 6.5 CM with optic, and that shoots .65" groups all damned day.

It's a great rifle, but one can do better for the price if they are patient and willing to use some tools.
View Quote
Pictures?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

A LaRue BuildAR kit in .260/6.5 is $1500 for a complete rifle. So going that way it's pretty damn cheap.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:00:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lew] [#15]
Originally Posted By sea2summit:
Pictures?
View All Quotes

Pictures?
I've been meaning to add pictures to the Aero M5 thread. If I actually remember (50/50/50 chance of that ), I'll post or link to them here. Cheers.

ETA: I just ran the numbers again: $2200 total in the build.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By RyanEsstac:
A LaRue BuildAR kit in .260/6.5 is $1500 for a complete rifle. So going that way it's pretty damn cheap.
View All Quotes

Right, but this thread's about the OBR.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#17]

I've been meaning to add pictures to the Aero M5 thread. If I actually remember (50/50/50 chance of that ), I'll post or link to them here. Cheers.
View Quote
Just don’t forget some .65 all day long targets too
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Hmmmm, who was it? I got similarly challenged. Only 100m at the house so lots of maths which I shouldn’t do in magic marker
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326526/4ED723BB-79BD-4CDC-8A96-61B8F7D640F8_jpeg-1128993.JPG
View Quote
Someone on another site. It was essentially, can you do it on command. Fired the 10rd group and then 5 more. Mirage from the can was present by rds 11-15. The pulled shots that I mentioned before came from hot brass bouncing off of the divider and rolling up against my arm. Still have the scars.

Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes

If I get to the range anytime soon, sure thing.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 11:49:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

How would you define better?
View Quote
Increased accuracy, less weight.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 12:02:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NotRyan] [#21]
View All Quotes

Yes and you said BUILD a precision AR. so if your BUILDING a precision AR the BUILDAR kit is more applicable to your comments than an OBR.  Does the UU Kit have a full length top end rail with MOA built it in, no? I doubt the other consumer "built" ones do either.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I guess I’ll add a bit from my original comment. My OBR (16” .308) averages .78 MOA across 4 5-shot groups with 168 FGMM. That’s with factory ammo, and me behind the trigger. I consider myself an above average shot, but I am no competitive shooter, and I am very inexperienced driving semi-.308’s. I don’t doubt it could do a lot better.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote
Could definitely build a better rifle for less money. However it is one of the best factory built guns out there.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Scotts556:
Could definitely build a better rifle for less money. However it is one of the best factory built guns out there.

Scott
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Scotts556:

Scott
It’s already came up, but their UU kits are a great value. If I were of the mind to build, I’d be looking hard at them. I got the OBR because I wanted an OBR and because I got a deal on it. I’m happy with it, but these days you can put together an AR-10 for barely more effort than an AR-15, and there are a lot of great routes to go about doing that.

But none of them will be an OBR, what that is worth to you is subjective. It was worth it to me
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 10:22:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By doty_soty:

It’s already came up, but their UU kits are a great value. If I were of the mind to build, I’d be looking hard at them. I got the OBR because I wanted an OBR and because I got a deal on it. I’m happy with it, but these days you can put together an AR-10 for barely more effort than an AR-15, and there are a lot of great routes to go about doing that.

But none of them will be an OBR, what that is worth to you is subjective. It was worth it to me
View Quote
I think we are on the same page
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 3:58:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#26]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes, yes they are!
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#28]
They have not changed much since release, and are a bit dated but still do what they set out to do very well.

The older LW-barreled OBRs on the resale market tend to only bring $2100-2500 depending on included accessories, round count, or any number of other variables. They are a pretty good value in that range and nearly always shoot very well. The LW barrels were excellent and a true sub-MOA gun is a very reasonable expectation. I have not found the 1:11.25" or whatever it is to be a limiting factor with 175gr or less.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Was a treat to see this thread.  I’ve had one on order for a couple months now.

Certainly looking fwd to it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 11:12:22 PM EDT
[#30]
My obr is great, I have many rifles but will never part with the obr. Everyone likes to cry over a few bucks but I think it was money well spent.

Pete
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By nihilsum:
They have not changed much since release, and are a bit dated but still do what they set out to do very well.

The older LW-barreled OBRs on the resale market tend to only bring $2100-2500 depending on included accessories, round count, or any number of other variables. They are a pretty good value in that range and nearly always shoot very well. The LW barrels were excellent and a true sub-MOA gun is a very reasonable expectation. I have not found the 1:11.25" or whatever it is to be a limiting factor with 175gr or less.
View Quote
I have a low sn 16" that shot well but when I finally got a can, it wouldn't work. Over gassed. Mark and the team trouble shot it with me over the summer while I snuck in range time, but nothing worked. Larue had me send in and put one of their new at the time  barrels on it  I thought I would be disappointed, but the new LT barrel shot better, cleans up better, and is about 20 fps faster with same lot FGM 175 (and it works great with the can). I'd be happy with another and wish I bought the second one (20") I preordered and canceled due to being between jobs.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Jus_Ad_Bellum:
I have a low sn 16" that shot well but when I finally got a can, it wouldn't work. Over gassed. Mark and the team trouble shot it with me over the summer while I snuck in range time, but nothing worked. Larue had me send in and put one of their new at the time  barrels on it  I thought I would be disappointed, but the new LT barrel shot better, cleans up better, and is about 20 fps faster with same lot FGM 175 (and it works great with the can). I'd be happy with another and wish I bought the second one (20") I preordered and canceled due to being between jobs.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jus_Ad_Bellum:
Originally Posted By nihilsum:

One of the reasons I got my specific OBR was that it was an older vintage with the LW barrel. I know Larue barrels can shoot though. It’s good to hear their in house barrels compare to the LW barrels, especially if they favorably compare to the LW barrels. That’s saying a lot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I am an LT fan, but also a realist, and a Seekins will shoot circles around an OBR (in terms of accuracy). Also, you can get the Seekins for almost half the price (one right now in the EE for 1500.00, could probably get it for 1400.00).

To the guy who said you couldn't build one better for less than an OBR, you couldn't be more wrong.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 7:19:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By FALex:
I am an LT fan, but also a realist, and a Seekins will shoot circles around an OBR (in terms of accuracy). Also, you can get the Seekins for almost half the price (one right now in the EE for 1500.00, could probably get it for 1400.00).

To the guy who said you couldn't build one better for less than an OBR, you couldn't be more wrong.
View Quote
What’s your data point for a seekins outshooting the OBR?  Just scanned the MOA challenge and I don’t see a single seekins in the top 50.  Not saying the can’t shoot just don’t see any targets around that make me think they’re shouting circles around a Larue.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 5:16:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doty_soty] [#35]

View Quote
I’ve been a fan of Seekins for years, they make quality gear. But I doubt that they shoot circles around an OBR.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:35:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WarthogA5] [#36]
I've been a fan of Seekins for years, they make quality gear. But I doubt that they shoot circles around an OBR.
View All Quotes

I've been a fan of Seekins for years, they make quality gear. But I doubt that they shoot circles around an OBR.
I own both, have unique first hand knowledge of both that goes beyond ownership and use. Seekins SP10s have a much more consistent accuracy node over Larue. Do not get me wrong, both are fantastic guns that are way more accurate than necessary in most situations, however the best group I have ever shot was with a Seekins SP10 at .232 for 5. I have never been able to get a Larue under 3/4 moa for 5.

Outside of accuracy the Seekins lower has a ambi bolt catch and release that appears to be designed with someone shooting prone in mind. The big thing I feel they missed was building in 20moa into the upper like seen in the OBR as it gives you more options for mount/optic combos. However I think Larue mounts are hands down the best option for both.

ETA: Not generally marketed, but these are factory made versions of the SP10.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/853540675
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 11:02:15 PM EDT
[#37]
My762 OBR is very accurate.  No doubt it is a very well put together rifle.  My set up with a 4-16 x 50 ATACR scope is very heavy.  I will admit, I had some major issues getting the rifle to cycle suppressed early on.  Had to change the buffer to a XD Heavy from Slash and spring change

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 11:04:27 PM EDT
[#38]
My762 OBR is very accurate.  No doubt it is a very well put together rifle.  My set up with a 4-16 x 50 ATACR scope is very heavy.  I will admit, I had some major issues getting the rifle to cycle suppressed early on.  Had to change the buffer to a XD Heavy from Slash and spring change

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#39]
I would like to find a good used OBR just to save me some $$$. I had one in .223 and 7.62 and miss them both. Would love to have another 7.62 OBR just because, lol.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By awmp:
I would like to find a good used OBR just to save me some $$$. I had one in .223 and 7.62 and miss them both. Would love to have another 7.62 OBR just because, lol.
View Quote

There were .223 OBRs?
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:

There were .223 OBRs?
View Quote

Yup.

OBR Lite or OBR 5.56.

I have one.  Currently it has a 6 Grendel barrel in it.  Awesome rifle.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:

There were .223 OBRs?
View Quote

Still are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top