Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2018 5:36:37 PM EDT
Built my first ar10 built several ar15's but this 10 was a learning experience.
I built mine with the Aero Precision m5 matched. Fit and finish was great but my question is what holds the rear takedown detent and spring in ?
The hole looks threaded but my build kit didn't come with anything for it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#1]
If I recall the end plate holds the spring and detent in.  Some people have threaded the hole so that a set screw can be used instead (so the spring won't fly out when the buttstock is removed.  The Mfg probably threaded the hole in anticipation of this.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 6:25:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thorshammerblow] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 4thPointOfContact:
If I recall the end plate holds the spring and detent in.  Some people have threaded the hole so that a set screw can be used instead (so the spring won't fly out when the buttstock is removed.  The Mfg probably threaded the hole in anticipation of this.
View Quote
If you do use a set screw you will want to clip off about 3 or 4 coils from the spring (not the middle ones though lol).
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine is by the selector spring.  It is pushed in by the grip. The Ergo shown works well,  but I did have one MIAD that wouldn't work, but it was also my oldest MIAD. I ended up ordering another. They have a different model for this,  be sure to check if you're going Magpul.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#4]
This model is not held in by the endplate like the ar15. This hole is beside the safety spring and detent.
Currently I squeezed the spring in with the grip. Doing it this way is not exactly ideal in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By wile_coyote:
Mine is by the selector spring.  It is pushed in by the grip. The Ergo shown works well,  but I did have one MIAD that wouldn't work, but it was also my oldest MIAD. I ended up ordering another. They have a different model for this,  be sure to check if you're going Magpul.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/81174/20181229_200110-800x767_jpg-789394.JPG
View Quote
I did mine the same way. I'm using the larue grip. It's not ideal.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By foreman2000:

I did mine the same way. I'm using the larue grip. It's not ideal.
View Quote
I tried a LaRue grip and agree. Wasn't ideal for me either with the fit. After trying a bunch of grips I ended up liking the Ergo deluxe,  so it worked out.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 3:47:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Medieval] [#7]
OP, I should have an extra 4-40 grub screw. I'll let you know when I get home Monday morning. I have an extra one if you need. IM sent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top