Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2018 9:02:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BryantM4]
Im looking at throwing a .308 together for next years hunting season. I want to run a collapsible stock, would a rifle length gas work with a carbine buffer tube/carbine .308 buffer and spring? Or would a mid length gas system with an adjustable gas block work better? Ive looked around and have got mixed answers.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a rifle gas creedmoor with a magpul UBR (carbine buffer tube).

You need a heavy carbine buffer, heavier than the ar15 buffer.  I think mine's 5.7oz and I use an adjustable gas block + Tubbs flatwire spring.  I want the bolt to remain locked as long as possible and still function correctly.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a mid length gas with carbine buffer (DPMS .308 carbine & buffer spring.) To avoid issues I just went with an SLR adjustable gas block so I could tune as necessary. I’ve adjusted it once and left it as is, it’s been reliable.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:55:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Thats probably what ill do, thanks
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:39:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#4]
In the AR-10 / .308 AR, the Carbine stock types use one of two different methods.

(A) is a standard AR-15 tube with a Shorter Buffer.  Toughter to tune because of the need for the special "shortie: buffers

(B) a slightly longer AR-15 styled type (not an actual AR-15 tube due to the longer length) using a Standard length AR-15 "H" buffer.   You can switch out standard weight, H2 or H3 AR-15 carbine buffers as needed to tune your rifle.

Important - don't mix parts between system (A) & system (B)

BIGGER_HAMMER
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top