Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2015 7:18:22 PM EDT
this part:

FNH TBM Trigger Guard and Detachable Box Magazine FN SPR, PBR, TSR, Winchester Model 70 Short Action with 5-Round and 10-Round Magazine

it would seem that it will work on the SPR but I hear rumblings it doesn't... anyone with experience doing the conversion and if so, how did it work out?

thanks
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is that the tbm requires a different inlet to stock then the a3g bdl type bottom metal.  I have a ptg bottom metal in my a3g, I really like it.  It is very rugged and heavy built.  The a3g have their bdl metal bedded into the stock, I had to file a little on a couple corners of the ptg to drop in.  I didn't want to dick with bedding job gap originally did for the bdl, I can swap back and forth without worry about fitment.  At first I wasn't excited about having to buy mk1 ai mags, as I have 8 or 10 aics, but the mk1 mags are nice and really let u seat bullets way out to lands.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks adam _

sounds like this is the one you used:

http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1401

I am going to order one up
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an older FN SPR A3 / factory DBM.
I replaced it with the CDI bottom metal that uses AI AICS mags.
The action needs slight clearance to clear the AI mag and the factory inlet is close but needs opened up.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Heron, close but not right.  That one uses an aics 5 or 10 rd mag, would need machine work to receiver and re inlet stock.  The one I used is the $145.66, it uses single stack ae mk1 mags, that price includes an ai mag.  It says in description it is a drop in for bdl cut stocks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:39:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Does anybody have some good pictures comparing the AICS mags Vs. the MK1 AI mags? Are both of these made by the same company? What are the differences between them?
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#6]
West, AI MK1 mags are made by accuracy international.  The early AIAE rifles used a single stack magazine.  AIAE mk2 is when the aics mag became standard.  It is a quality mag, just like the aics mag.  It looks like any other single stack mag.  Google is ur friend .
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:37:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AdamJ] [#7]
Double post, my bad
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AdamJ:
Heron, close but not right.  That one uses an aics 5 or 10 rd mag, would need machine work to receiver and re inlet stock.  The one I used is the $145.66, it uses single stack ae mk1 mags, that price includes an ai mag.  It says in description it is a drop in for bdl cut stocks.
View Quote

welp, finally got it...

there is no mag included even though the website says so... that is a $70 mag so I am not surprised...

I got the blackened aluminum version as the steel was not available.

range report coming up
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:56:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: heron163] [#9]
OK so I got my new bottom metal for detachable magazine use with the FN SPR. I am very plead with Pacific Tool and Gauge quality. Fit up was easy (with a small amount of dremeling to the stock...) and function was flawless... You can't beat the price with a five round magazine.

Thanks to the guys who set me straight with which one was correct for this rifle. Here is what it looks like:

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:55:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 2:56:06 AM EDT
[#11]
The PTG bottom metal looks great.  Plus it looks to be compatible with the to be released MagPul AICS mags...
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I run the TBM on 2 SPR rifles.  The conversion is well worth the money. In fact, MGW has them stupid cheap right now so I would pick up one.

Even at $400 its still cheaper and easier than AICS BM.  You figure $200ish for the bottom metal, another $200 for gunsmith to inlet/fit, $70 per mag, ect. That is unless you let CDI do it and they will do it for free. Keep in mind, for AICS mags to work they need to machine the action a bit.

The TBM is drop in and the mags are every bit as good as my AICS mags. In fact, I like them better. The grip at the bottom makes it much easier to insert it with gloves/rain/cold weather.  I had the older DMB systems and it was crap compared to AICS or TBM.

Not to mention the TBM mags can be found for $40-50, which is cheaper than AICS or good clone mags.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:07:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keystones] [#13]
Originally Posted By heron163:
OK so I got my new bottom metal for detachable magazine use with the FN SPR. I am very plead with Pacific Tool and Gauge quality. Fit up was easy (with a small amount of dremeling to the stock...) and function was flawless... You can't beat the price with a five round magazine.
View Quote
Sorry to revive an old ass thread, but have a quick question-

Should you happen to remember, is this the correct bottom metal I should be purchasing to convert my A3G to use DBM?
If so, I noticed that the 'nose' of the PT&G bottom metal (as pictured on that website) is a more 'rounded' than the hinged bottom-metal on my A3G, which flares out some.

Would you happen to recall any issues here? I figure it'll just leave a slight gap that I'll fill with epoxy (need be)

Thank you!

https://imgur.com/6NAsj7z
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#14]
wow - zombie thread!

there were no special issues with fitting the new bottom metal in other than some really minor inletting. no dremel was required...
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By heron163:
wow - zombie thread!

there were no special issues with fitting the new bottom metal in other than some really minor inletting. no dremel was required...
View Quote

Yeaaah- apologies. There's not much information out there on these things anymore.

Do you happen to recall if your hinged bottom-metal had a slightly 'flared' nose like mine? (pictured in my post)

Thanks again for the reply!
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I will dig mine out and take some pics.  It was a vey small amount of stock work required to fit the the bottom metal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top