Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2020 12:12:14 AM EDT
Looking for a quality rest for load development. I confess, I dont consider myself steady enough to still go to a sandbag anymore so looking to get a mechanical rest. The Lead Sleds have a bit of a reputation for beating up scopes pretty badly.

Sort of looking at the Caldwell Precision Turret, looks like a fantastically stable, easily adjustable rest that allows for a normal recoil pulse to keep from tearing up scopes.

Just curious if anyone has experience?
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 3:51:10 AM EDT
[#1]
2Jokerswild,

I have one and it is well made, sturdy and great for bench-rest work. Only thing I would like different would be more adjustment up & down on the lower pistol grip platform. Good luck with it if you get one.......
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Amazon listed this at 10.6 lbs, not bad. The pistol grip platform is also removable which is another plus.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 11:03:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: smullen] [#3]
If you are going to go that route, why not a whole sled to set the gun in?

I have one like this for home range shooting...
My step some always brings his rifles over to sight them in using it.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

*** I don't know why it does that, breaks the picture, but link to product still works..
Here's what it should look like. Has dual tubes, so that if you are shooting a rifle with a Magazine, it goes between the tubes and doesn't hit it, like the older Single tube model. Also, I read the comment about beating up scopes...  Not sure what calibers they are shooting, but we've shot many calibers from .22 to .300 Win Mag and never had issues...  I mostly shoot 5.56, .308 and step sons 6.5..

Link Posted: 6/9/2020 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I see a lot of guys using that rest and the lead sleds.  I have that rest on my wish list.  I prefer the ease of use of a good bipod, but can see the advantage of having a more solid rest.

I thought I wanted a sled, but it is just too big of a bitch to deal with, considering all of the rest of the shit I haul to the range.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wildearp:
I see a lot of guys using that rest and the lead sleds.  I have that rest on my wish list.  I prefer the ease of use of a good bipod, but can see the advantage of having a more solid rest.  

I thought I wanted a sled, but it is just too big of a bitch to deal with, considering all of the rest of the shit I haul to the range.
View Quote
I will admit that, it great to use, but a bit heavy to lug around much..  
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 12:19:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By smullen:
If you are going to go that route, why not a whole sled to set the gun in?

I have one like this for home range shooting...
My step some always brings his rifles over to sight them in using it.

www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCLR2L0

*** I don't know why it does that, breaks the picture, but link to product still works..
Here's what it should look like. Has dual tubes, so that if you are shooting a rifle with a Magazine, it goes between the tubes and doesn't hit it, like the older Single tube model. Also, I read the comment about beating up scopes...  Not sure what calibers they are shooting, but we've shot many calibers from .22 to .300 Win Mag and never had issues...  I mostly shoot 5.56, .308 and step sons 6.5..
https://mountainhuntsupplies.com/image/cache/catalog/product/1/612/149023-518x478.jpg

View Quote
The lead sled reputation for beating up scopes, this looks like it should allow for a more natural recoil.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 11:44:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#7]
Caldwell's Rock BR will be more stable and adjustable.

https://www.caldwellshooting.com/rests/shooting-rests/rock-br-competition-front-shooting-rest/440907.html#start=1

It is a heavy extremely adjustable front rest.  You will need a separate rear bag.  I prefer the rabbit ear style rear bag.

The Rock BR can be improved by replacing the spindle ball bearings with inexpensive needle bearing cage and thrust washers for only about $10 with parts through Amazon.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Rock deluxe with a replacement leather bag but have digressed to using a bipod 95% of the time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 8:18:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#9]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top