Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/18/2017 4:12:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dace]
Has anyone ever updated the Savage 10 FCP-SR proprietary magazine system to an AI type system?  I am trying to figure out if this is home level installation or if I need to find a gunsmith.

Rifle like this.

Magazine system like this
http://accurate-mag.com/bottom-metals/

Update:

I talked to Accurate Mag today.  It appears that if the FCP-SR uses the accustock (it does) and that the bolt release is not at the bottom (it isn't), their bottom metal should be a direct drop in.

http://store.accurate-mag.com/savageshortactionbottommetalkit.aspx

Here are the dimensions of the bottom metal so you can measure your stock.
http://accurate-mag.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/STD-104-rev-A.pdf

Attachment Attached File

I am going to order it and see if it works without gunsmithing.  The bottom metal and magazine will be almost as much as I just paid for this rifle brand new which was $450 shipped. But I think it will be worth it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 7:38:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#1]
Actually its pretty simple - you know that little lever at the back of the mag that makes it drop out just press it and put the AI mag into the rifle.

Magpul also makes some AI compatible  mags

I have a 10FP in the desert digital camo and it runs my AI mags just like my Badger Bottom metal and my Surgeon Bottom metal on my Remington rifles. Mine came with the threaded barrel also so pretty sure yours runs AI mags.

If that doesn't work here is plan B
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/bottom-metals/savage-308-detachable-bottom-metal-prod73348.aspx
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
Actually its pretty simple - you know that little lever at the back of the mag that makes it drop out just press it and put the AI mag into the rifle.

I have a 10FP in the desert digital camo and it runs my AI mags just like my Badger Bottom metal and my Surgeon Bottom metal on my Remington rifles. Mine came with the threaded barrel also so pretty sure yours runs AI mags.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/bottom-metals/savage-308-detachable-bottom-metal-prod73348.aspx
View Quote

There's a difference in the FP and FCP. I just picked up an FCP-SR and it takes a proprietary Savage 10 round mag (which I can only fit 9 rounds in ).  I don't have an AICS mag laying around to try it but I'm pretty sure it won't work "as is". I'm eventually going to drop it in an MDT chassis which does use AICS mags.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#3]

View Quote
Yours is the model before this one, this one takes Savage proprietary mags.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I bet the previous generation FCP-SR bottom metal will fit without too much work.
Savage did not make the bottom metal and mags, but purchased them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By jough43:
Well, I bet the previous generation FCP-SR bottom metal will fit without too much work.
Savage did not make the bottom metal and mags, but purchased them.
View Quote
Yes, this is correct.

OP, to your actual question - I'm not sure. I've seen it mentioned on multiple forums that one simply needs to get the Accurate-Mag bottom metal. I can't imagine it's that much of a difference or something that a Dremel wouldn't fix.

I have one of the original Savages with the AI mags. PM me if you do this, I'm interested in how it turns out since I was originally going to go your route due to the rarity of the original rifles.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#6]
On the current 10 FCP-SR it’s a direct drop in.  Just make sure that you order the correct one.  Also, check the price of AI mags before you buy the bottom metal.  It might change your mind.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 1:04:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tcoz73:
On the current 10 FCP-SR it’s a direct drop in.  Just make sure that you order the correct one.  Also, check the price of AI mags before you buy the bottom metal.  It might change your mind.
View Quote
Thanks for the info.  Also the price of a magazine is the least of my worries
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 10:41:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FALbert] [#8]
Isn't the Magpul PMAG for the Rem 700 AI compatible?  Price a little less but still sucks.

ETA -
When did Savage release the FCP-SR version that can use the AI magazines?  I think I bought mine in 2015.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I have been thinking of trying to change magazines on my 10-FCP. The options are confusing. What would I need?
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 11:27:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dace] [#10]
Originally Posted By FALbert:
Isn't the Magpul PMAG for the Rem 700 AI compatible?  Price a little less but still sucks.

ETA -
When did Savage release the FCP-SR version that can use the AI magazines?  I think I bought mine in 2015.
View Quote
The original had AI mags and bottom metal.  Then in mid 2015 they switched the rifle up completely.  Different stock, bottom metal and scope base.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By zoe17:
I have been thinking of trying to change magazines on my 10-FCP. The options are confusing. What would I need?
View Quote
I am making a bunch of calls Monday then will update.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FALbert:

ETA -
View Quote
I believe it was released in 2013 sometime.

Link Posted: 11/25/2017 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Dace:

The original ahd AI mags and bottom metal.  They in mid 2015 they switch the rifle up completely.  Different stock, bottom metal and scope base.
View Quote
Interesting.  I had a similar Dicks Sporting Goods special with a cheapy scope a few years before the one I have now.  I think it was 2011 or 2012.

It had no threaded muzzle, no oversized bolt handle, and no Accu-stock.  Other than that, the rest was identical including that 10 round magazine.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 3:45:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dace] [#14]
Update:

I talked to Accurate Mag today.  It appears that if the FCP-SR uses the accustock (it does) and that the bolt release is not at the bottom (it isn't), their bottom metal should be a direct drop in.

http://store.accurate-mag.com/savageshortactionbottommetalkit.aspx

Here are the dimensions of the bottom metal so you can measure your stock.
http://accurate-mag.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/STD-104-rev-A.pdf

Attachment Attached File

I am going to order it and see if it works without gunsmithing.  The bottom metal and magazine will be almost as much as I just paid for this rifle brand new which was $450 shipped.  But I think it will be worth it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a GRS stock on my model 10.  It used the factory bottom metal perfectly.  Then I picked up another action in 7SAUM and wanted more than 2rds in a mag as an option. I bought an accurate mag setup.  It was mostly a direct drop-in.  It required some slight inletting on my stock, which is aftermarket, due to a very tight fit of the rear trigger guard portion.  Then I had to work on alignment of the rear action screw and the length of the screw.  The supplied hardware was a bit long and hit the bolt.  I shaved a few threads off both front and rear action screws with a Dremel cutoff wheel.  Now it's all good.  A Magpul AICS pmag work but they need to be modified.  If you look at your Accurate mag and an AICS Pmag you'll see what needs to be done.  I'd share pics but Photobucket blows and imgur wants me to download an app no matter what.  So if you want PM me and I will email you pics.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 12:19:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By smokinghole:
I have a GRS stock on my model 10.  It used the factory bottom metal perfectly.  Then I picked up another action in 7SAUM and wanted more than 2rds in a mag as an option. I bought an accurate mag setup.  It was mostly a direct drop-in.  It required some slight inletting on my stock, which is aftermarket, due to a very tight fit of the rear trigger guard portion.  Then I had to work on alignment of the rear action screw and the length of the screw.  The supplied hardware was a bit long and hit the bolt.  I shaved a few threads off both front and rear action screws with a Dremel cutoff wheel.  Now it's all good.  A Magpul AICS pmag work but they need to be modified.  If you look at your Accurate mag and an AICS Pmag you'll see what needs to be done.  I'd share pics but Photobucket blows and imgur wants me to download an app no matter what.  So if you want PM me and I will email you pics.
View Quote
Interesting I didnt realize they were different.  I thought they were all based on the AI magazine.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 3:32:47 AM EDT
[#17]
They are, but the difference is minor.  Towards the front of the Pmag feedlips there is a slope down, it needs to be more of a 90 angle.  With out dremeling some plastic away it will interfere with the internal machining of the dbm preventing the mag from seating.  It was seriously just 5 min of wearing the angle down enough to seat the mag.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By smokinghole:
They are, but the difference is minor.  Towards the front of the Pmag feedlips there is a slope down, it needs to be more of a 90 angle.  With out dremeling some plastic away it will interfere with the internal machining of the dbm preventing the mag from seating.  It was seriously just 5 min of wearing the angle down enough to seat the mag.
View Quote
Good to know. I'm getting a PMAG for my rifle and didn't know this.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#19]
What is the benefit of the AI mags over the proprietary mags from Savage? Honestly curious, no trolling.

I actually stopped and finger fucked the same rifle today. Where did you find it for $450ish?  Bass Pro was $659.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 2:49:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dace] [#20]
Originally Posted By Cameronswmp9:
What is the benefit of the AI mags over the proprietary mags from Savage? Honestly curious, no trolling.

I actually stopped and finger fucked the same rifle today. Where did you find it for $450ish?  Bass Pro was $659.
View Quote
Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore has the 308 and 6.5cm in stock for $550 shipped.  Savage is offering a $100 rebate right now so its net $450.  Took about three days to get to my dealer.  Edit: nevermind looks like they are out of stock now.  Only 6mm left.

The magazines have reliability issues hence wanting new bottom metal.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/201372

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/154881
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
I hate to bring up an old thread but @urimaginaryfrnd can you take a picture of the bottom metal of your stock Savage that, out of the box, accepts AI mags? I have a Cabelas exclusive model, the 10T-SR which has an accustock and lower magazine release but almost nobody on the internet has had one and tried to use AI style magazines. If I don't have to relace the bottom magazine well that would be sweet, but I need to move to AI mags because the savage ones suck
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 12:10:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AHC222] [#22]
Originally Posted By ColdEngineer:

I hate to bring up an old thread but @urimaginaryfrnd can you take a picture of the bottom metal of your stock Savage that, out of the box, accepts AI mags? I have a Cabelas exclusive model, the 10T-SR which has an accustock and lower magazine release but almost nobody on the internet has had one and tried to use AI style magazines. If I don't have to relace the bottom magazine well that would be sweet, but I need to move to AI mags because the savage ones suck
View Quote
The bottom metal that came on pre-2015 10-FCPs with a digital camo stock is the Accurate Mag bottom metal. A good picture is above that was posted on 11/25/17. Savage went away from the accurate mag bottom metal in 2015 to lower costs. The new 110 Tacticals come with AICS bottom metal, but it is no longer made by Accurate Mag, or if it is, it is not in the Accurate Mag style shown above.

This youtube video shows the Savage proprietary bottom metal for their mags, and also the Accurate Mag bottom metal. The video embedding isn't working for some reason, so follow the link.

Link
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 8:12:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BushmasterGuy77] [#23]
Accurate mag bottom metal is drop in for Accustocks.

CDI bottom metal is drop in for HS Precision stocks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By BushmasterGuy77:

View Quote
So my 10-FCP the CDI is what I need?
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
This is my understanding as well. My Accurate Mag bottom metal was pretty tight by the rear screw in my HS Precision stock. It took about 2 minutes with a Dremel to open it up and now works great, anyone could do that. I'd tell anyone trying to decide between CDI and Accurate to not overthink this part too much and rule out Accurate Mag bottom metal for this reason. Super simple inlet.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
See my post above. If you want a drop in fit, this is my understanding (never tried CDI personally but heard others say theirs dropped in HS stocks). However, to fit the accurate mag bottom metal you'll likely need to spend a couple minutes tops with a small sander to open up the stock around the rear screw. Super simple.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By AHC222:
This is my understanding as well. My Accurate Mag bottom metal was pretty tight by the rear screw in my HS Precision stock. It took about 2 minutes with a Dremel to open it up and now works great, anyone could do that. I'd tell anyone trying to decide between CDI and Accurate to not overthink this part too much and rule out Accurate Mag bottom metal for this reason. Super simple inlet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

My accurate mag required some dremeling in my Accustock.

I think anyone going down this path needs to understand there is no such thing as "drop in".  There is "almost there" with minimal fitting required.  Its not metal works its usually on the plastic stock itself so something anyone at home could do.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:38:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BushmasterGuy77] [#28]

View Quote
Yes sir. Mine dropped in. Nice and tight fit, too. I spoke with the owner of CDI (Jeff, I believe?) and he said that usually they drop in without a problem. If it doesn't, he'll inlet it for free.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:41:03 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
Same here. I had to do some light filing to get the accurate mag bottom metal to fit in the HS, but not that much. It was easy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 4:46:51 AM EDT
[#30]
And that's true with almost everything firearm related. Some light filing or sanding at most. It's not hard and I hate DIY stuff.

My accurate mag required some dremeling in my Accustock.

I think anyone going down this path needs to understand there is no such thing as "drop in".  There is "almost there" with minimal fitting required.  Its not metal works its usually on the plastic stock itself so something anyone at home could do.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Now that Savage ditched the proprietary mag and went back to AICS, does anybody know if you could buy the (probably plastic) bottom metal from Savage and retrofit into the older Accustock rifles?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:05:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dace] [#32]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
Now that Savage ditched the proprietary mag and went back to AICS, does anybody know if you could buy the (probably plastic) bottom metal from Savage and retrofit into the older Accustock rifles?
View Quote
@fightinghellfish

Do you want my old stuff to try it out?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#33]

@fightinghellfish

Do you want my old stuff to try it out?
View Quote
I have an Accustock rifle right now.  My biggest gripe is the terrible backwards Savage mags.

If your old stuff is the newer Savage bottom metal that takes AICS mags I'd love to try it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#34]
What works with the 10-FCP that has H.S. precision stock? I can file plastic if needed. Just confused as to what works.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes sir. Mine dropped in. Nice and tight fit, too. I spoke with the owner of CDI (Jeff, I believe?) and he said that usually they drop in without a problem. If it doesn't, he'll inlet it for free.
View All Quotes

He installed his bottom metal on my FN SPR as it required of machining. He was super helpful and seems to make a pretty nice product. I would have no problem sending him any gun and having him do the install.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:32:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AHC222] [#36]
View Quote
If I'm understanding you correctly, you're wanting to buy the new Savage bottom metal that accepts AICS mags, and dump the bottom metal that accepts proprietary Savage mags in your Accustock? If that is correct, I called Savage sometime last year about doing just that. They wanted $200-230 or so for the new bottom metal if I remember correctly. Without knowing anything about their newer bottom metal or seeing any reviews on it, I just went with the $135 Accurate Mag bottom metal and was very happy in my HS Precision stock. Looks like the new Savage bottom metal would be about the most expensive option, and with the reviews CID and Accurate Mag get I wouldn't chance it.

*Edit* - Just to clarify, the new Savage AICS bottom metal is not plastic.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#37]

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're wanting to buy the new Savage bottom metal that accepts AICS mags, and dump the bottom metal that accepts proprietary Savage mags in your Accustock? If that is correct, I called Savage sometime last year about doing just that. They wanted $200-230 or so for the new bottom metal if I remember correctly. Without knowing anything about their newer bottom metal or seeing any reviews on it, I just went with the $135 Accurate Mag bottom metal and was very happy in my HS Precision stock. Looks like the new Savage bottom metal would be about the most expensive option, and with the reviews CID and Accurate Mag get I wouldn't chance it.

View Quote
You start looking at the cost for just bottom metal to upgrade the Accustock and it makes sense just to go for a chassis at some point.  The new Oryx at $400 looks pretty affordable.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#38]
You start looking at the cost for just bottom metal to upgrade the Accustock and it makes sense just to go for a chassis at some point.  The new Oryx at $400 looks pretty affordable.
View All Quotes

Thats 3x more expensive then an accurate mag bottom metal kit.  Almost 4x if you shop around.  Thats a huge difference.

But if you think you want a chassis then the new bottom metal isnt the right choice.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote
Very true. It will be interesting to see how those are reviewed, but they look promising. I love the MDT chassis my R700 sits in right now (HS3).

It's good to see a few more chassis options for Savage. For mine personally, I kind of wanted the traditional stock look and therefore went with a HS Precision PST114 stock and Accurate Mag bottom metal. I probably would have went with a Bravo if KRG would inlet for Savage SA, but I'm still pretty happy with how mine turned out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:40:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BushmasterGuy77] [#40]
What works with the 10-FCP that has H.S. precision stock? I can file plastic if needed. Just confused as to what works.
View Quote
CDI drops in. It did for me and many others, but YMMV.

Accurate mag will need a little bit of material removed by filing or sanding. It's not much and it's super easy.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 7:13:40 AM EDT
[#41]

CDI drops in. It did for me and many others, but YMMV.

Accurate mag will need a little bit of material removed by filing or sanding. It's not much and it's super easy.
View Quote
Do you know if this will work with the 6.5cm with Accustock?  I'm guessing yes but figured i would check first.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:47:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BushmasterGuy77] [#42]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner11:

Do you know if this will work with the 6.5cm with Accustock?  I'm guessing yes but figured i would check first.
View Quote
Yes, but you will probably have to do some light sanding or fitting. Which model rifle? The 10T-SR? New or old Accustock? Because savage not only has updated the accustock, but they stopped using accurate mag bottom metal and now use their own bottom metal. Savage makes bottom metal that uses AICS mags and one that uses their factory mags.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#43]

Yes, but you will probably have to do some light sanding or fitting. Which model rifle? The 10T-SR? New or old Accustock? Because savage not only has updated the accustock, but they stopped using accurate mag bottom metal and now use their own bottom metal. Savage makes bottom metal that uses AICS mags and one that uses their factory mags.
View Quote
Thanks.  It's the 10FCP-SR in 6.5.  the mag is the only real complaint I have about the rifle.  When it's fully loaded rounds will pop out of it and sometimes they don't want to feed right.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#44]
If you’re going to spend that much get one of these instead. https://mdttac.com/us_en/lss-chassis-system.html
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:52:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FightingHellfish] [#45]
Zombie thread!

I just finally ordered the Accurate Mag Bottom Metal.  $130 with no mag.  I already have magazines.

I added an adjustable cheek piece to the Accustock and the only real issue left  is the crappy magazine.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Subshooter:
If you’re going to spend that much get one of these instead. https://mdttac.com/us_en/lss-chassis-system.html
View Quote

I think the chassis has its place depending on how you will use the rifle.  At the same time even that chassis will be 3-4 times the cost of just buying the bottom metal.  And then you need to find a stock and pistol grip which adds to the cost again.  They have their place and are likely a little more accurate but they are not cheaper then just buying bottom metal if you already have the accustock.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#47]
One thing that I hate about savage is ther BS magazines. Dam things drop befor shooting a full 10 round mag. Been looking for options myself. Shoots 200 ELD-X awesome. When I had a 10T, I purchased a Cadex chassis. Uses AICS mags. Worked awesome. Really don't want to buy another chassis for this rifle but from my searches, may be the only option to use other reliable mags.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
One thing that I hate about savage is ther BS magazines. Dam things drop befor shooting a full 10 round mag. Been looking for options myself. Shoots 200 ELD-X awesome. When I had a 10T, I purchased a Cadex chassis. Uses AICS mags. Worked awesome. Really don't want to buy another chassis for this rifle but from my searches, may be the only option to use other reliable mags.
View Quote

Is that a common problem? I don't remember hearing people talk about it. The AICS mags are better all around anyway.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Anybody order from AccurateMag before?  I ordered a week ago, and promptly got an email from them (not under the AccurateMag name) and they charged my card, but not a peep since.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Is that a common problem? I don't remember hearing people talk about it. The AICS mags are better all around anyway.
View Quote

Yes, it is a common problem with savage. Every savage rifle I have owned does the same thing. My 10T in 308 and 338 FCP LM did it, my wifes 243 axis does it too. Savage mag system plain sucks. When I had the cadex chassis on my 10T, never an issue using AICS mags. May just sell my 10 FCP and go to another brand. Sure as hell will never buy another savage rifle.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top