Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2021 8:30:12 PM EDT
Hey All,

About 25 yrs ago I built a 30-06 on a Brno Mauser action. I've never been all that enamored with it and was thinking of doing a 6.5 Creedmoore on the action threaded for my AWC can.

Has anyone here done a 6.5 on a Mauser? If so, whose bbl did you use and how is it stocked? I'd love to see some pics as well.

Cheers,

CE
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I miss my 6.5 Rem Mag I built years ago on a Mauser. But I would consider a 6.5/06 AI if I was to build on a long action. To me I would be wasting a long action. But personally I would sell the 06 and invest in dream build with a modern action with better stock/chassis options.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
I miss my 6.5 Rem Mag I built years ago on a Mauser. But I would consider a 6.5/06 AI if I was to build on a long action. To me I would be wasting a long action. But personally I would sell the 06 and invest in dream build with a modern action with better stock/chassis options.
View Quote

Thought about the 6.5/06 as well as 6.5 Swede. Still may go that route.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Stock is custom chassis based on the Gun Warrior chassis and is built by a little outfit in South Africa a friend of mine owns.

Barrel we selected was a standard retail blank which was locally threaded, profiled and chambered. Don't recall the brand but usually it's Bartlein down there with those guys.

Mausers are hard to retail-ize a chassis for due to variations in production dimensional tolerances. When you're picky about fit it matters.

Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:49:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: validus_arma] [#5]
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
Stock is custom chassis based on the Gun Warrior chassis and is built by a little outfit in South Africa a friend of mine owns.

Barrel we selected was a standard retail blank which was locally threaded, profiled and chambered. Don't recall the brand but usually it's Bartlein down there with those guys.

Mausers are hard to retail-ize a chassis for due to variations in production dimensional tolerances. When you're picky about fit it matters.

View Quote

That is really cool. Your rifle? I'd love to see pics of the whole thing. I don't know why I am a sucker for the Mausers. Maybe it is the Kraut in me??? :) Something about the controlled round feed and utilitarian aspect of it appeals to me.

What caliber did it end up as? Also curious what safety you went with. I have a low throw on mine but was thinking about going with one of the side lever 3 position units.

Thanks for sharing,

CE
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By validus_arma:

That is really cool. Your rifle? I'd love to see pics of the whole thing. I don't know why I am a sucker for the Mausers. Maybe it is the Kraut in me??? :) Something about the controlled round feed and utilitarian aspect of it appeals to me.

What caliber did it end up as? Also curious what safety you went with. I have a low throw on mine but was thinking about going with one of the side lever 3 position units.

Thanks for sharing,

CE
View Quote
That's the same model action as my rifle but a different actual receiver as mine is in the USA and that one is in South Africa. The rifle is a multi-cal built on a .473" bolt face. There's so far .22-250 and 6XC barrels cut but more will come. Apart from CRF, Mausers are also about the finest bolt action as far as toughness and quality of materials ever made. If you polish up the tool marks and apply a little engraving they can quickly turn into serious presentation grade gems. My gun will not have a workable safety included. It has a standard safety lever on it but that's been cut down to a nub. As a bolt action rifle that's not meant to be loaded while in motion it just doesn't need a safety. The bolt does a fine job of rendering it safe by being opened.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top