Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2018 10:04:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sschefer]
I'm using DPMS bolt catches on a DPMS 80% .308 lower and they ain't working. It's not like I actually need it but it does make setting up an adjustable gas block a lot easier. At first I thought it was the Mag but then realized I should be able to manually catch it open with or without a mag. I have two different 80% lowers and they both do it. This portion of the lower is factory machined. There are a few posts on the net about the problem so it's not uncommon and everyone seems to say the Armalite AR-10A catch is the cure but I can't find them and Armalite is out of stock on just about all the lower parts.

The problem is that the standard DPMS LR .308 bolt catch hits the upper receiver before it gets high enough to hold the bolt. It's happening with two different uppers and lowers. Now the question is, since I can't seem to find the right catch, do I clearance the upper or the machine the catch. I think I'll take a little off the catch, doesn't need much and I'd rather have a slightly weaker catch than a slightly weaker upper.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:24:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sschefer] [#1]
Offical Reason why.... The bolt catch hit's the upper receiver and stops before it is high enough to catch the bolt.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 2:35:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sschefer] [#3]
Thanks for the link, they do say they have it in stock. I solved the problem without it. If you look at a 10 upper you'll see an indent where the bolt catch rests. Take .125 (you could probably take .250 if you wanted) off the bottom of that pocket and all is good. You can also mill the bolt catch but you better have a dam good set of carbide bits. I bounced a HSS bit across it so I went to the alternative which I now think is the better solution. If you hear of anybody else with this problem, this is the fix. You don't need a mill, you can do it with a file.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top