Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2018 11:40:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TARFU]
I got a line on a new 700 5R Gen 2 for just under $900.  Cal .308, 20 in. threaded barrel, HS stock, #85196.  Gun would be used for short/med range work and deer hunting.  I am reading about outstanding accuracy, but not so great x mark pro trigger.  What are your thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:09:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Trigger tech trigger is less then 2 bills.. if you like the rifle get it...
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:14:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy the rifle, install a Timney.

Be happy.

My 24" 5R gen1 is one of my favorite rifles.  Its on the MOA all day list as well.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Bed it and shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 2:00:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cruze5] [#4]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cruze5:
my 300WM was not free floating.

it was in store but when properly torqued it was not.  i installed a timney and dropped it in a AICS stock in my profile picture
View Quote
I've been hearing about this issue as well, hoping it would be resolved by now.  If I have to put 1K in a chassis it sort of defeats the purpose of a budget precision rifle.   Can the HS stock be relieved with some sanding or is there another issue?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:53:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TARFU:
I've been hearing about this issue as well, hoping it would be resolved by now.  If I have to put 1K in a chassis it sort of defeats the purpose of a budget precision rifle.   Can the HS stock be relieved with some sanding or is there another issue?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

it was in store but when properly torqued it was not.  i installed a timney and dropped it in a AICS stock in my profile picture
KRG Bravo or Magpul Hunter on tha cheap
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote
They can be relieved. It sands easily.

Often its the bedding block sitting crooked in the stock, which can be alleviated by bedding the rifle.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Usually it’s the stock but not always. I had a warped receiver that would not sit straight regardless of the stock/chassis it was in. Required bedding, even for a chassis. There is a reason people love to hate on Remington these days.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I have this exact rifle.  I put a Timney 510 in it and added Mapgul bottom metal with some dremel work.  Pretty much stock other than that.  I love it.  I've got a handful of 5 shot groups in the .3s and .4s at 100.  More than I can remember in the .5 and .6s.  It shoots.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
Trigger tech trigger is less then 2 bills.. if you like the rifle get it...
View Quote
+1. Great trigger. Have two now & will go with them on any future Rem M700.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Can anyone that has a Gen 2 with the new bolt knob tell me if its screwed on or integral like the old checkered design? Just curious is the bolt knob can be swapped out on the Gen 2 without machine work. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Were it me, for roughly the same price, I'd get a Tikka CTR.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#13]
XMark triggers leave a lot to be desired for sure.  I don't have a 5r, but I've handled a few and they seem to be good quality, definitely nicer than my AAC model.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:27:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I have been looking at this rifle as well. I do not like the stock and would be putting the rifle in a chassis system. So I would be dropping the trigger and the stock leaving only the action and the barrel.

I can get an AAC model for $550ish. The 5R Gen2 goes for about $830ish. I figure at least half of the price difference is the stock.

So the question is....Is the 5R barrel really worth the extra cost of this rifle over the AAC model?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:33:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#16]
Originally Posted By west2746:
I have been looking at this rifle as well. I do not like the stock and would be putting the rifle in a chassis system. So I would be dropping the trigger and the stock leaving only the action and the barrel.

I can get an AAC model for $550ish. The 5R Gen2 goes for about $830ish. I figure at least half of the price difference is the stock.

So the question is....Is the 5R barrel really worth the extra cost of this rifle over the AAC model?
View Quote
Totally.  You sell the HS Precision made stock and bottom metal for $250.

Now the difference is $30

I’d much prefer the 5r’s bolt knob, the stainless CHF fluted 1/11.25 twist barrel. Tons of value there for $30
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:29:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TARFU] [#17]
Thanks for the replies. Well, I ordered the Gen 2 5R on Grabagun for 898.00 delivered.  That's the best price I saw.  Already ordered a Timney (kinda pisses me off they can't give you a good trigger even if they have to raise the price a little) but otherwise plan on keeping the gun stock.  If it shoots as good as my buddies and the reviews I've read, it seems like a hell of a deal.  You're getting near custom build accuracy for less than half the cost.  However, I haven't bought a new Remington in years and all the QC stuff I'm reading has me a little nervous.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#18]
5R + Grayboe stock + Triggertech
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#19]
The X-Mark isn't a terrible trigger for the average Joe.  You can put a little heat on the screws to soften the loctite and tune them to a safe 3 pounds.

I have one on two rifles, including a 223 with 720 rounds, and they have been fine but a Triggertech or Timney is way nicer if you want something better.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Blackfoot_7:
5R + Grayboe stock + Triggertech
View Quote
5R + MPA Lite Chassis + Triigger Tech .......
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Man that's a lot of trigger tech talk.

I have Riflebasix in one rifle (my favorite) , and Timney's in the rest, and they are all amazing triggers.

What's so special about triggertech?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#22]
They do have a better feel than most triggers. I still don't think they're as good as a worked over Jewell.

The real magic in a trigger job requires machine work to the cocking piece in a lot of cases to tune firing pin fall.

I need to get my hands on a Geissele.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I was going to drop a Jewel in my bolt gun before going with Triggertech. I had a very reputable local gunsmith do some work on my rig, and recommended Triggertech over Jewel, says he's been seeing a lot of issues with Jewel triggers coming through his shop. This is second-hand info so take it with a grain of salt. I trust the guy, so I went with the Triggertech and I'm happy with it.

OP, if I could do it over again I'd have saved a bit more and gone the 5R route, but opted for an SPS ACC-SD since I got a good deal on it. Swapped out the stock, skim bedded the action, installed a new trigger and had a Badger bolt knob installed. It was a good cost effect solution, allowing me to break from my shooting norms and get more trigger time behind precision oriented rigs to step up my precision game. I think the 5R is a solid choice overall. If I were to buy another factory bolt gun in the future I'd be taking a hard look at the FN SPR.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:17:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Blackfoot_7:
I was going to drop a Jewel in my bolt gun before going with Triggertech. I had a very reputable local gunsmith do some work on my rig, and recommended Triggertech over Jewel, says he's been seeing a lot of issues with Jewel triggers coming through his shop. This is second-hand info so take it with a grain of salt. I trust the guy, so I went with the Triggertech and I'm happy with it.

OP, if I could do it over again I'd have saved a bit more and gone the 5R route, but opted for an SPS ACC-SD since I got a good deal on it. Swapped out the stock, skim bedded the action, installed a new trigger and had a Badger bolt knob installed. It was a good cost effect solution, allowing me to break from my shooting norms and get more trigger time behind precision oriented rigs to step up my precision game. I think the 5R is a solid choice overall. If I were to buy another factory bolt gun in the future I'd be taking a hard look at the FN SPR.
View Quote
Yeah, I really like it so far, waiting for the rain to stop to get out and shoot it.  No stock issues like some reported.  It was fully floated but I sanded and opened up the barrel channel just a tiny bit.  Installed a Timney 510 which is plenty good enough for me, bedded a rail (very little needed) and added a scope.  The Cerekote is done really well and I like the bolt knob.  Feels like a custom gun, not too heavy to take in the field for hunting, but should be heavy enough for med/long range shooting.  If it groups like others reported, it would be a great deal.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:39:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice!

Do you reload?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:25:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
Nice!

Do you reload?
View Quote
Yes.  I have a 168 SMK load that runs good through my other R700 and M1A.  Gonna start with that for barrel break in and go from there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:13:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Definitely post review after shooting, interested in rifle as well.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 7:51:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TARFU] [#28]
Okay, the rain finally stopped and I got to the range today for barrel break in.  The gun:
" />
During break in I fired 11 shots with a total of 7 cleanings.  There  was very little copper fouling throughout.  At that point I fired my first 5 shot group at 100 yd (shots 12-16) below:
" />
That group measured .435 center to center.  The round is my handload that was worked up for my other Rem 700 and M1A and not for this gun.  I know 1 group doesn't get me in to the 1/2 MOA all day club but I think it shows the gun certainly has potential to shoot well.  All of my prior 3 shot groups cleaning after each shot were under an inch as well.  So far I couldn't be happier.  I will post more range results when I do more shooting.  Thanks to all here for your continued help.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#29]
NICE!
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice shooting!

It looks like you got a good one
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 12:34:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: INMY01TA] [#31]
They have these, drop in chassis of choice:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792497330

Nice groups btw.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 1:04:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks.  That barreled action is great idea if you don't like the HS stock.  You're basically getting  a 300.00 credit for the stock.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 3:43:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks.  That barreled action is great idea if you don't like the HS stock.  You're basically getting  a 300.00 credit for the stock.
View Quote
And a 40x trigger.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
@cruze5 I'm thinking of going the 5r Gen II route and dropping it into a KRG Whiskey 3 chassis. What kind of accuracy have you been getting with your 300 WM? I have heard that the .308s are pretty solid on accuracy but the 300WM may be hit or miss. Curious about your experience.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#36]

very happy with the results of 75 grains of h1k and a hornady 208 projectile.

av speed of 2787 with my ultra 7
View Quote
Glad to hear it. I only shoot factory loads (no time or patience to hand load) and hope I can get the same half minute performance that I have seen many report. Thanks for your input.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top