Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2019 4:53:07 PM EDT
I need 2-3 more bipods. I have a few Harris and one Atlas. Before I go ordering $800 in Atlas bipods is there anything else out there I should be considering? I’ve shot off of the Atlas for years and really like it, but it’s been a long time since I looked at bipods. Thoughts?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#1]
All I use and recommend is the Harris and the Atlas.

Actual use dictates which is better and for what rifle. Don't know of any Chinese brands that I would recommend.
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not set up some type of quick release system like photographers use with a tripod.
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Hog saddle on the way for that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Take a look at the Magpul bipod if you wanted to not go with Harris.
View Quote
It’s not that I don’t want to go with Harris or Atlas. I just don’t know what the bleeding edge of bipod development is at this point in them. Heard some good stuff about GG&G’s offering, and KAC makes a nice (although expensive) option. Sort of tired of $400 bipods (two Sako TRG bipods). I guess I just need to decide between a few Harris bipods with Larue mounts or a few Atlas/ADM combos.
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I got my dad a Harris through Larue with the integrated Larue mount for Father’s Day. It’s pretty darn nice.

I have no experience with Atlas bipods, fwiw.
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Why Larue mounts on the Harris? Just stick it on a stud. Works fine.

The Magpul will attach to a rail.
View Quote
To attach to a rail. Most of the rifles I want to toss bipods on are railed AR’s sans one bolt gun. I’ll buy a magpul bipod or two to try them out. Pretty sturdy?
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got the new TBAC bipod.  I like it, but it doesn't pan if that's important to you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I use the GG&G compact bipod. Built like a tank and has adjustable leg settings like an Atlas.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I have Magpuls on my precision rifles. Best value in bipods out there now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 11:27:26 PM EDT
[#13]
OP, when or where did you buy that bipod in the pic?

It looks like the green blob version since it doesn’t have the shelf on the collet that is used to extend the legs.

I like to have 2 Atlas bipods and then use Harris for all other options.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 11:41:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Atlas is great, but the new TBAC is killer.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
OP, when or where did you buy that bipod in the pic?

It looks like the green blob version since it doesn’t have the shelf on the collet that is used to extend the legs.

I like to have 2 Atlas bipods and then use Harris for all other options.
View Quote
It’s a first gen I got in 2010 straight from B&T. They didn’t add the shelf on the leg adjusters until later. I’ve had more than a few dorks profusely preach that it’s a knockoff and I’m an idiot, so I appreciate your candor.

Good article...

http://8541tactical.com/2016/10/06/counterfeit-parts-atlas-bipods/
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 10:48:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I figured that was the case. Based on the other gear in the pic, it didn’t appear that you went for the budget item. Factor in that you said you’d been happy with it, I figured it was a first gen. You just don’t see them as often.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I have been playing with the Caldwell bipods now for a few years. The first two tall bipods were junk. The next three bench style have held up really well. Only mod I had to do was blue loctite the feet Allen screw. Then add the tension lever. They seem to be as reliable as the Harris but the legs aren’t as stiff as the Harris. I have also played with the Caldwell rail attach bipod. I don’t really like it it’s the wrong height and the spring tension tilt is a little bit stiffer than I like. I also played with the Vanguard it to was to tall. But it seems to tilt and hold better. I haven’t played with the magpul yet but it’s not as flimsy as I was worried it would be. I always seem to gravitate back to the Harris especially their taller version for hunting.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#19]
The new Warne bipod is very nice. I didn't like the Ckye pod that I used.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 1:54:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pro_Patria_431] [#22]
Originally Posted By Are-O-Be:
I've got the new TBAC bipod.  I like it, but it doesn't pan if that's important to you.
View Quote
Originally Posted By greentimber:
Atlas is great, but the new TBAC is killer.
View Quote
Any pics compared to an Atlas or Harris? I'm wanting to put one on a HTI, but I'm not sure if it would be big enough, an Atlas 5H would be the alternative.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#24]
1 x KAC
3 x Magpul Pic

Is way less than 4 Harris and, IMO, the best solution.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#25]
The TBAC's look really nice.  I know a couple guys who run the Elite Iron bipods.  They are bitchin, but you better break out your check book, those fuckers aren't cheap.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I don’t have any Atlas, but Magpul is worth a look over Harris. Have one of each and when I go to buy another, it will be Magpul. It comes with all of the adjustments standard that you have to pay to add to the Harris.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 2:19:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#28]
I like the Versa-Pod better than the Harris, but it weighs more. (Have both) The VP is very solid and the leg springs are internal. Comes off the weapon with a push of a lever, leaving the mounting pin on the hand guard. You can really put a load to this bipod and not worry about anything giving. Pan/tilt/cant and multiple feet options.

The VP is inexpensive too. Poor man's Atlas ;) https://www.opticsplanet.com/versa-pod-model-20-bipod-prone.html
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Harris Bipod with swivel and notched legs.  Add an ADM picatinny mount, KMW pod-loc, and if you really want to go all out put on PASS Harris foot adapters so you can use Atlas feet on it.

Total cost comes in around the same as an atlas but you get legs that deploy and adjust faster.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 4:25:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mr_Toyz] [#30]
Crye/MDT is coming out with a light weight hunting version of their bipod. Very very cool but not cheap
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Deploying a new atlas is a lot slower than a Harris. I have both. My atlas is the old style pre button where you just pull the legs out and rotate.

I’m pretty indifferent on which I’m using.

The tip-top bipods were the only Chinese bipods I’d advocate but they stopped selling them. They are a beefy Harris. They were not cheap when they were out but still a little cheaper than a Harris with all the aftermarket stuff.

The fact that Harris hasn’t come up with any new designs or a universal clamping adapter etc shows either ego or complacency.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Alright, came back in to update the OP.

After seeing the new Warne bipod in action, I have to recommend it.  That thing is legit.  The legs extend by simply grabbing them and pulling on them, but the retraction part is the best part.  Push button action to retract the legs.  One push equals one notch.  It has a "rapid deploy" feature that allows you to get the legs down quickly from most any position.

It's also not a cheap one, but it's hovering around the other quality pods.

Check it out, here.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By FALex:
Alright, came back in to update the OP.

After seeing the new Warne bipod in action, I have to recommend it.  That thing is legit.  The legs extend by simply grabbing them and pulling on them, but the retraction part is the best part.  Push button action to retract the legs.  One push equals one notch.  It has a "rapid deploy" feature that allows you to get the legs down quickly from most any position.

It's also not a cheap one, but it's hovering around the other quality pods.

Check it out, here.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up I book marked their site. That’s a pretty interesting bipod.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top