Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2018 10:18:05 AM EDT
Ok, so trying to decide between the two.

Ruger
Configuration
Affordable magazines, 10/15/25 rnd
built in scope rail
trigger doesn't need aftermaket parts
no aftermarket, yet, but that'll probably change

CZ
Well, its a cz
May need YoDave kit?
Magazines 10 round and more expensive
Needs aftermarket rail, which can get spendy

Shooting out to 100 yards( longest distance available at my range)
Would like to get into match shooting

I know this is kind of really general, but would like opinions.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the RPRimfire and a CZ455 (the Varmint Evolution version, not the Tactical version) in the safe.  Both have Redfield 3-9x40 scopes and Harris bipods.  I shoot equally well with them and they are both good values for the money.  If I had to buy one or the other, I'd buy...

...the Ruger for the accuracy and ease of accessorizing/suppressing (the barrel is already threaded)

...the CZ455 for the accuracy and the multi-caliber ability (easily converted between .17HMR/.22LR/.22WMR with a barrel/magazine kit from CZ)

That said, I cannot leave things alone so I bought the additional CZ barrels and had them and the .22LR barrel threaded for a SilencerCo White Sparrow, and I also modded a Timney trigger to work in the RPRimfire (I posted in this Forum on that).  At this point the two rifles perform about the same.  The Ruger looks more tacticool while the CZ is fancy.  Either one will let you do well at 100yd.  The CZ will let you drop coyotes out to 100yd and rabbits out to 200yd with .17HMR, if that's something you care to do.  The design of the Ruger is such that it will require a lot of work to make a .17HMR/.22WMR version due to the longer cartridge.  I hope they do it, of course, but it'll likely be a while before we see it.

So, no real help at all here, but some more things to consider.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I see you listed those two options but did you also consider the tikka in 22 or 17 that is coming out shortly. I pre ordered the tikka 17 hmr and am anxious to get it. I don't believe you will find many matches for the 17 hmr but you can also get it in 22.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#3]
ive never shot the tikka or the CZ BUT

I was really impressed with the accuracy from the ruger.
I have a savage mk2 TR for a "tactical trainier" for my full size rifle - it shoots well but the ruger seems more accurate after my testing last weekend.

I took the ruger out to get some dope from 50 to 170 yards (largest distance in the back yard)
4 types of ammo - CCI select - CCI SV - Federal HV match - federal bulk pack auto match

all of the ammo shot VERY well (even the bulk pack) but standard velocity loads really start to rainbow in once you get past 140 yards.

The icing on the cake was at the end of the day when I was out at 170 yards and was shooting the 1 inch spinner target on my target stand with the ruger.
thats pretty accurate for rimfire

Then on top of that you have a completely adjustable stock, adjustable comb height, cheap mags, and an mlok rail.
I made a direct tripod mount out of some 1.5" scrap steel and used a couple T nuts to mount it to the mlok.

its a no brainer if you ask me.
I'm sure the CZ and Tikka shoot good but the Ruger has to many advantages.

Link Posted: 5/11/2018 12:05:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I own the Ruger and I bought it for one overarching reason... the adjustability of the rifle.  I am teaching my kids (10 and 11) and my wife how to shoot precision rifle and I can fit this gun to each of us with the twist of one bolt.  So far we have shot it out to 300 yards and its a great trainer and a fun way to enjoy the day with the family.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought the Ruger target version just before they came out with the Precision model...no regrets. the Ruger has been a great choice and the accuracy has been very good.

The biggest selling point for me was the magazine set up....It's just a better design at a very reasonable cost.

With Rimfire, I have been finding that ammo selection is a key component.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:35:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I had decided to get a Tacticool suppressor ready only to find they are out of stock everywhere.

One or two high priced GB auctions that's it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#7]

upgrades camo job and new scope....
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#8]
First off the Yo Daves kit is a scam. all that is needed is a lighter spring. The CZ 455 has an excellent Trigger. I have a 455 American stainless that has an amazing trigger. when you pull on the trigger it just breaks clean.

I don't think the Ruger trigger will be even close. Otherwise people would be talking about it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 3:27:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harv24] [#9]
Originally Posted By gsd2053:
First off the Yo Daves kit is a scam. all that is needed is a lighter spring. The CZ 455 has an excellent Trigger. I have a 455 American stainless that has an amazing trigger. when you pull on the trigger it just breaks clean.

I don't think the Ruger trigger will be even close. Otherwise people would be talking about it.
View Quote
Have you shot the Ruger Trigger?
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Harv24:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This.  I just picked up a RPR.  The trigger is outstanding.  I have replaced or modified the triggers in the majority of my guns.  I have absolutely no plans to change the trigger on this rifle.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 1:25:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harv24] [#11]

View Quote
Still waiting on your response.... @gsd2053
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Calling the yo Dave kit a scam is a bit harsh isn’t it?   It’s a package of springs and precise thin wall shims to adjust weight of pull and amount of sear engagement.

I am a CZ shooter but not a yodave customer because you can work the trigger yourself with minor clean up and a spring swap that can be found at the hard ware store.  It’s a convenience item for the less confident of their gunsmithing abilities not a scam.

Just my opinion.  Oh and the Ruger is ugly.  That’s my opinion too.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 12:01:55 AM EDT
[#13]
My 455’s trigger was absolute dog shit until I installed the Yodave kit.

I actually thought it was a sloppy 2 stage trigger with a 3 lb pull until the kit was installed

Now, it’s a .75 lb single stage dream that breaks like glass.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 12:58:53 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No I have not.
Have you shot the CZ 455 trigger with a light trigger spring?

If so how does it compare?
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 1:40:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JethrOO:

Would like to get into match shooting
View Quote
Both are great but the CZ is especially great if you want to win.
All the match winners in my area shoot Anschutz or CZ.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 7:20:51 AM EDT
[#16]

No I have not.
Have you shot the CZ 455 trigger with a light trigger spring?

If so how does it compare?
View Quote
As a matter of fact.. I have... and I would have to give the edge to the Ruger.
I did in fact snip a few coils off the Ruger's inner trigger blade spring and then made a slight adjustment to the main trigger.

Ruger definitely did a good job on these newer triggers.

If CZ steps up to the plate and redesigns there magazine system,  and perhaps makes the bolt handle a bit easier to grab,I may give them a shot, but for now, I am extremely happy with the Target model from Ruger.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#17]
To chime in on the topic (although a bit late), my choice would hands down be the CZ. Here is my story: I own the CZ 455 precision trainer, the ruger precision rimfire (RPR), and the ruger American rimfire (RAR) all in 22 long rifle. Yes I know… that’s a lot of rimfire bolt guns for one person. I shoot a lot of rimfire due to squirrel hunting and have begun shooting the NRL22 matches as well. I love my CZ and admit to a bias, however I first bought the RAR (the RPR was not offered at the time) because I wanted to see if it could compete with the CZ but run the many 10/22 mags I had already. After modifying the RAR and shooting many, many squirrels with it, I would say it is approximately 80% of what the CZ is. The advantages is that it is much lighter and walking around with it was a pleasure. When using it with a bipod in a fixed position and trying to squeeze tight groups out of it, it wasn't able to beat the CZ due to the stock. At this time they released the RPR and instead of buying a better stock for the RAR I opted to try the RPR. Out of the box the RPR had issue with magazine feeding issue and wild flyers. It wasn't even shooting on par with the RAR. I am still problem shooting the RPR, so the jury is still out, but I am also shooting the NRL22 matches here locally and saw about 3 RPR’s on the line two weeks ago. The other shooters had the same issues with magazines and flyers, even with high end match grade ammo, but continued to run them because their centerfire guns are Ruger Precision Rifles and they want the trainer to be as similar to the centerfires as possible. Going in to this I knew that the CZ would shoot better (because this thing is awesome) but I bought the Ruger because I would love to run higher capacity magazines than the super long CZ 25 rounder (that seems more like a novelty than an actual magazine intended for use). I set out down this road thinking that if the Ruger could shoot 90% of what the CZ could at less then half then cost, then I would be inclined to run the ruger and perhaps sell the CZ to fund my centerfire build. So far that has not been the case. An admitted bias towards the CZ as well as the quality control issue of the RPR would lead me to recommending the CZ without hesitation.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for taking the time to post your experience... I still like the CZ and think it's a helluva gun, I just wish the magazine system was more like the Ruger...
I bought the Target model Ruger as they did not have the Ruger Precision rimfire out yet... So all my experience is with the heavy cold hammer forged barrel on the Target model and I have to say that it is 90+% of what a CZ is... so it hits all the key spots for me...

CZ is still resting on there Laurels I think vs. Ruger... If CZ really wanted to shake it up, they would come out with a rimfire that fits in the R700 Profile and make a AICS type mag to feed a Rimfire Like Vudoo did, but without the $2K price tag, and I believe they will own the  Precision Rimfire market.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought an aftermarket trigger for my CZ-452 because the trigger sucked.  I went into the store wanting a Ruger, walked out with the CZ.  It shoots fantastic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top