Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2020 8:33:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Loki007]
Long time reader... first post.  

I'm looking for my first AR.  It'll be used mainly for deer hunting in Minnesota but also periodic Elk hunts out west.  I'm not a stand hunter, just can't sit still that long in cold.  I generally deer hunt while walking with the rifle in my arms.  That said, I'd like to keep the weight to a minimum.  I'm set on the a .308...  OK, enough about me, let's talk ARs

Let's budget $5k (should be plenty).  Average shot ~100yds.  longest ~350yds.  everything listed is plenty accurate I assume.
 1) POF- Revolution DI -->  6.8lbs
 2) Wilson Combat -- Recon Tactical --> 7lbs as configured
 3) Christensen-- CA-10 G2  --> 7.2lbs with carbon fiber barrel

Revolution is light but I don't know much about POF.
Recon Tactical is nice and I like the customization features from Wilson.  I also like the Ultralight Hunter but as configured it doesn't have muzzle break?  I assume I can simply buy with different barrel?
Christensen is a sharp looking gun and of the three, it is the only one with 18" barrel (1 & 2 have 16" standard).  Not that I think the extra 2" is required for my needs.

Looking to hear from people who own these.  build quality/feel, weight/balance, recoil, reliability.

Thank you in advance for your input.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#1]
My AR-10  has a 24" Fluted Barrel its sports a Hi-Lux optic 5x 35 x 56  called the Phenom I do some long-range shooting with this .308 caliber rifle and ring steel at 1000Meters  I have carried it in the wood but It's a little heavy for this old man to tote but sitting in a ladder stand overwatching a Bean Field shots on deer beyond 300yards are uncommon. I shot a pig on a power line cut at 700 meters and made a direct hit to the boiler room he went down like a stone. I think that was the longest shot hunting I have ever made. Get an AR-10 with a barrel not shorter than 20", You lose too much in velocity with shorter barrels.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#2]
An Armalite DEF-10 with five-shot magazine should fit your needs.  Light, easy to carry, works from 100 to 300 effortlessly with a good scope and trigger.  No need to add fancy stuff.

DEF-10s were going for around $800 a few years back.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:54:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the reply.  Once I get my new toy I'll definitely be looking to spend on some good glass.  That's a whole different discussion saved for a later date :)
I just looked up the Phenom.... damn nice looking scope.  I doubt I'll shoot past 500yds on a hunt, but certainly during an afternoon when running through some rounds at the range.

From what I've read on .308, the muzzle velocity will drop off ~22-ish fps per inch of barrel (check my numbers.  they're from the internet).  I assumed some of this could be compensated by being smart with my ammo selection... and for white tails at <350yds, it probably won't matter.   BUUUUT...  where it may matter is longer shots while Elk hunting.   I'm interested to hear opinions on that front.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:58:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lennyo3034] [#4]
Any particular reason you want an AR for this purpose?

As for your options, I’d go with the POF by a long shot. Not only is it lighter, it is more compact as well by utilizing smaller receivers.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 12:04:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks!   I did look into the DEF10 and held one about a year ago (but never shot one).   It is a little heavier than I'd like...  I believe ~8lbs?

My whole life i've hunted with a hand-me-down Remington 742 (@ 7.5lbs).  As I get older, I get arm tired lugging it around all day.   I'm hoping to keep my new one below 7.5lbs.

That said.... I am interested to know more about the recoil and balance of light AR10s from those who shoot them often.  I know a sub-7lb .308  AR10 should have more kick.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 12:15:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
Any particular reason you want an AR for this purpose?

As for your options, I’d go with the POF by a long shot. Not only is it lighter, it is more compact as well by utilizing smaller receivers.
View Quote

I like the AR for a handful of reasons.  
  1) i don't stand hunt so I'll never have it in my lap like a standard long rifle.  I also don't generally sling it on my back.  My rifle is generally in my hands and ready to use.
  2) a few places I hunt have thick woods and can cause close encounters (how else do you get that big SWAMP buck... go in the swamp and get 'em!).  Pistol grip/tactical helps here.
  3) ARs are cooler (<-- had to say it :)   After hunting with a hand-me-down for 25yrs, I'm ready to treat myself
  4) I'd like to spend more time at the range and I think it'll be more fun there with an AR

So most REAL work is going to be hunting.... but also recreation.

Thanks for the input.   Do you know anything about the POF Rogue?  SUUUPER light at 5.9 lbs, but being so new I'm hesitant to add to my list with limited to no data.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Larue Ultimate Upper kit with tAR profile barrel.  That'll get you sub MOA and leave about $3,600 for optics and ammo.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 11:05:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I like my DPMS 16" but it sits in the safe due to weight and recoil. I like the 6.5 Grendel for a carry and beat around rifle with the 18" barrel it just seems to balance well for me. I would suggest looking into the DPMS gen II and see if something along them lines is out there. AR10 are just heavy by nature. Maybe the Savage version? My buddy's son bought a PSA that shoots but it's like the DPMS heavy. Plus a good optic will really pack the pounds on. Good Glass is usually heavy by nature.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 6:50:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sea2summit:
Larue Ultimate Upper kit with tAR profile barrel.  That'll get you sub MOA and leave about $3,600 for optics and ammo.
View Quote

Came to suggest this.

Then I saw that a Recon Tactical was 1 of your choices.

I have no experience with either POF or CA.  But, I have 2 Recon Tacticals, 1 in 6.5C, the other 7mm-08.  Both have 18" barrels.

The 6.5C has been my most accurate AR.  The 7-08 has a lot of muzzle jump.  So far, I've found it impossible to keep on target, and it hasn't seen an unsuppressed round.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 7:24:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 0002s] [#10]
Get a light weight AR-10.
Add a aftermarket break ;).  Add a scope and mount. Then add a loaded 5 round magazine.  If you want a bipod for your Elk dream hunts add that too. Oh, add a sling.  NOW weight it. Get back to me on that light weight.

There is nothing light about AR-10s.

I hunt with this and it’s not light weight loaded. It not as heavy as a 16/18” with a 50/52mm variable.....but it ain’t light weight. (12.5” barrel)

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 0002s:

There is nothing light about AR-10s.

View Quote

Haha.  noted.   The more I read, the more that becomes apparent.  Perhaps more time at the gym is what I really need.

nice rifle.  which Leupold is that?

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By mi650:

The 6.5C has been my most accurate AR.  The 7-08 has a lot of muzzle jump.  So far, I've found it impossible to keep on target, and it hasn't seen an unsuppressed round.
View Quote

Thank you for the input.  I imagine the 308 will jump even more... especially with a short pipe.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

I keep hearing good things about Larue.   Heard you can reliably shoot a hair off a gnat's ass with the OBR.   I look into the upper kits.  thanks!
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Loki007:

Haha.  noted.   The more I read, the more that becomes apparent.  Perhaps more time at the gym is what I really need.

nice rifle.  which Leupold is that?

View Quote

VR-X Patrol
https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-scopes/vx-r-patrol-1-25-4x20mm-30mm

Enjoy your chase.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#15]
This is a 6.5 CM, but it's very light and 2A makes great stuff.

https://www.2a-arms.com/product-p/2a-xrc20sc15blk-1.htm
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BoxofRox:
This is a 6.5 CM, but it's very light and 2A makes great stuff.

https://www.2a-arms.com/product-p/2a-xrc20sc15blk-1.htm
View Quote

Thanks. I had them on my list, but haven't given them serious consideration...but I can't remember why anymore...  

Their .308 is light as well (XLR-18 .308 Rifle -- 6.75lbs) and comes with 18" barrel standard which is nice.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 7:57:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#17]

Thanks. I had them on my list, but haven't given them serious consideration...but I can't remember why anymore...  

Their .308 is light as well (XLR-18 .308 Rifle -- 6.75lbs) and comes with 18" barrel standard which is nice.
View Quote

I'm late to the thread.  If you want an AR10 in 7.62x54 (.308) go for it.  But, honestly, as a deer hunter, my ARs stay at home.  I use either hunting setup bolt guns where longer shots are likely, or purpose designed hunting semi-autos for woods and shorter range.  They are designed to be light, handy, and for four or five round detachable magazines.  If you can't get a deer by the second shot (if necessary) you'll not take him by blasting away any more.

Use your AR10 how it is intended - tactical or self/home defense.  Take something like this Remington 742 with a 2-7x32 scope on your deer hunt.  There is a reason they were designed as they are.  They work.  Call them fudd guns, if you will.  They will put more venison in your freezer with less effort.

People where I live and hunt love their ARs, small frame and large.  We usually don't hunt deer with them, though.  There are better choices.

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MS556:

I'm late to the thread.  If you want an AR10 in 7.62x54 (.308) go for it.  But, honestly, as a deer hunter, my ARs stay at home.  I use either hunting setup bolt guns where longer shots are likely, or purpose designed hunting semi-autos for woods and shorter range.  They are designed to be light, handy, and for four or five round detachable magazines.  If you can't get a deer by the second shot (if necessary) you'll not take him by blasting away any more.

Use your AR10 how it is intended - tactical or self/home defense.  Take something like this Remington 742 with a 2-7x32 scope on your deer hunt.  There is a reason they were designed as they are.  They work.  Call them fudd guns, if you will.  They will put more venison in your freezer with less effort.

People where I live and hunt love their ARs, small frame and large.  We usually don't hunt deer with them, though.  There are better choices.

https://i.postimg.cc/dVPpQzCy/0-ED0-B454-BEC8-42-CE-8-E90-CB5-F658-BD8-CC-zpsnrglk7kt.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://i.postimg.cc/dVPpQzCy/0-ED0-B454-BEC8-42-CE-8-E90-CB5-F658-BD8-CC-zpsnrglk7kt.jpg

I've killed deer with fudd guns in .308, 7-08, .30-06, 7 mag...

And I've killed deer with AR's in .308, 7-08, 6.5G, 6.8SPC...

The ones I've killed with fudd guns aren't any more dead than the ones I've killed with AR's.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#19]

The ones I've killed with fudd guns aren't any more dead than the ones I've killed with AR's.
View All Quotes

But the Fudd's were usually lighter in the mountains. But I'm retarded I carried a RPR to the blind overlooking some pretty good sized hay meadows. And I may be guilty of popping a few whitetails with the little 6.5 Grendel. If you hunt open country the Eberlestock pack that you can slide the rifle into might make for a little bit easier hunt.
https://eberlestock.com/collections/gun-carry
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

But the Fudd's were usually lighter in the mountains. But I'm retarded I carried a RPR to the blind overlooking some pretty good sized hay meadows. And I may be guilty of popping a few whitetails with the little 6.5 Grendel. If you hunt open country the Eberlestock pack that you can slide the rifle into might make for a little bit easier hunt.
View All Quotes

I hunt in a blind, 200 yards behind my house.

Carrying a .50 out there wouldn't be a big deal.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

A .50? Sounds light
Attachment Attached File

Have permission to hunt suppressed this year so the TQ will be on the end now
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#22]

A .50? Sounds light
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326526/A2973344-6CCB-413B-B156-A307C103C5AD_jpe-1551823.JPG
View Quote

I'm waiting impatiently on the carnage
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#23]

I'm waiting impatiently on the carnage
View Quote

305 yards
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#24]

A .50? Sounds light
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326526/A2973344-6CCB-413B-B156-A307C103C5AD_jpe-1551823.JPG
View All Quotes

A .50? Sounds light

Well, maybe you could actually kill something with that OBR!!  

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 10:10:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:49:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I would agree with others that there isn’t any thing light about an AR10. One thing to consider is the state hunting regulations. I know the some Midwest states only allow a straight wall case. And most states have magazine capacity limits too.

If it were me I’d get an AR15 in something like 6.8spc or even 350 Legend. Both will be lighter than an AR10 and have enough power to get the job done out to 300 yards. Both are on the light side power wise for hunting elk at ranges past 100 yards.

My two elk hunting guns are a Browning A-boot in 300 WSM, scope, ammo, sling, it weights under 8 pounds. The other is a Weatherby Mk 5 UltraLight in 338-06, with scope, ammo, sling, it also weights under 8 pounds. Neither of these guns are fun to shoot lots of rounds though at any time however they are great to carry through the mountains. There have been years when I never got to pull the trigger because we couldn’t find the elk. I also don’t like having to track elk, they can cover a lot of ground real quick. I’ve seen an elk take a 300 win mag threw both lungs and the heart and it still ran for another 200 yards before the brain got the message it was dead.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 6:37:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#29]
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#30]

How much does that rig weigh as pictured?  How far did you have to carry it to take the shot(s)?
View Quote

I'm scared to put it on the scale, once I put the can on in it I'm sure it's over 20.

I carry it about a mile to that spot...but rifle is nothing compared to getting two deer out of there
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 3:07:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Loki007] [#31]
I love this site.  I appreciate all the input.  

About a year ago I ordered a Wilson Combat .308 Ultralight Ranger with custom barrel/finish.  It arrived just before deer hunting in Nov this year.  It's pretty nice :)

With clip it comes in at 7lbs.  loaded, with a shit scope (pictured), and Precision Armament M4-72 muzzle brake it is still ~8lbs.  I'm happy.  However, even with the muzzle brake it kicks more than I would expect shooting 180gr. Federal Premium Fusion.... but with such a light gun I suppose that is to be expected.

on to scopes....   I generally don't shoot beyond 500yds.  My average shot is just under 100yds, so I don't need high mag.  

I have considered the following and I am open to any comments:

Leupold VX-6HD 2-12x
March Scope 1.5-15x
Swarovski Z6i 2-12x
Zeiss V8 1.8-14x

I have not owned any of these so I'm open to input from those with experience.

https://imgur.com/a/tmDhHpR

Link Posted: 11/26/2021 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#32]
I love this site.  I appreciate all the input.  

About a year ago I ordered a Wilson Combat .308 Ultralight Ranger with custom barrel/finish.  It arrived just before deer hunting in Nov this year.  It's pretty nice :)

With clip it comes in at 7lbs.  loaded, with a shit scope (pictured), and Precision Armament M4-72 muzzle brake it is still ~8lbs.  I'm happy.  However, even with the muzzle brake it kicks more than I would expect shooting 180gr. Federal Premium Fusion.... but with such a light gun I suppose that is to be expected.

on to scopes....   I generally don't shoot beyond 500yds.  My average shot is just under 100yds, so I don't need high mag.  

I have considered the following and I am open to any comments:

Leupold VX-6HD 2-12x
March Scope 1.5-15x
Swarovski Z6i 2-12x
Zeiss V8 1.8-14x

I have not owned any of these so I'm open to input from those with experience.

https://imgur.com/a/tmDhHpR

View Quote

I've had the VX-6HD and Z6, both great hunting scopes.  No experience with March, or that particular Zeiss.  I don't think you'd go wrong with any of them.

I tend to swap scopes quite a bit.

And I let a guy talk me out of my Wilson Recon Tactical 7-08.  It was a very accurate rifle, but yea, jumped a lot.  Even with a can on it.

I can only imagine yours, being lighter.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:39:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#33]

View All Quotes

The "Fudd" guns which you denegrate are simply better at the task.  As we often say here for multiple reasons,  match the equipment to the mission.  AR platform guns have an edge where high rate of fire and magazine capacity are important.  Neither is important for hunting.  And unnecessarily heavy.  Properly designed hunting rifles are simply better at the task and often weigh 8lbs or less, with scope, sling and full magazine.

My mountain hunting rig.  8 lbs on the nose as pictured . McMillan stocked blueprinted Rem Custom Shop 700 action in .280 Rem.  24" air gauged Douglas barrel.  Leupold VX6-HD 2-12x in Talley rings.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:11:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mi650] [#34]

The "Fudd" guns which you denegrate are simply better at the task.  As we often say here for multiple reasons,  match the equipment to the mission.  AR platform guns have an edge where high rate of fire and magazine capacity are important.  Neither is important for hunting.  And unnecessarily heavy.  Properly designed hunting rifles are simply better at the task and often weigh 8lbs or less, with scope, sling and full magazine.

https://i.postimg.cc/7ZM3zH29/7-D384980-A0-A2-4-A4-F-ABD5-EAD35-BE026-B0.jpg

My mountain hunting rig.  8 lbs on the nose as pictured . McMillan stocked blueprinted Rem Custom Shop 700 action in .280 Rem.  24" air gauged Douglas barrel.  Leupold VX6-HD 2-12x in Talley rings.
View All Quotes

Wow, blast from the past!!

Didn't mean to denigrate "fudd" guns.  But tell me how a .308 or 7-08 bolt gun is better at the task than a 308 or 7-08 AR?

And for the record, I used a Henry .30-30 for firearm deer season this year.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#35]
I used to hunt with the LTR in .308.

Link Posted: 12/4/2021 5:31:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#36]

Didn't mean to denigrate "fudd" guns.  But tell me how a .308 or 7-08 bolt gun is better at the task than a 308 or 7-08 AR?

View All Quotes

Well, I did.  And the setup is quite current.  Ergonomics are better for hunting.  Slim, less bulky, nothing protruding.  Lighter.  More rigid (one piece stock), scope is lower over the bore.  Typically longer 22-24" barrel has better velocity, greater retained downrange energy and flatter trajectory, while still weighing less.  Assuming the AR10 has comparable accuracy, the same ammo is used and equal barrel length, they may be equal at the moment the bullet leaves the barrel.  However, getting to that point and afterward, the "fudd gun" is simply better at the intended purpose.

I have deer hunted with one of my ARs.  It works, but I took it afield more as a curiosity.  Many of my hunting friends have AR10 style rifles.  I've not seen them used for hunting, though.

Now, if someone has an AR10 and no "fudd gun", and wants to hunt deer, by all means.  Don't miss out.  It will work.  I would not be be surprised if that person eventually switched to a a so-called "fudd gun."
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By BLACKRIFLEREVIEW:
My AR-10  has a 24" Fluted Barrel its sports a Hi-Lux optic 5x 35 x 56  called the Phenom I do some long-range shooting with this .308 caliber rifle and ring steel at 1000Meters  I have carried it in the wood but It's a little heavy for this old man to tote but sitting in a ladder stand overwatching a Bean Field shots on deer beyond 300yards are uncommon. I shot a pig on a power line cut at 700 meters and made a direct hit to the boiler room he went down like a stone. I think that was the longest shot hunting I have ever made. Get an AR-10 with a barrel not shorter than 20", You lose too much in velocity with shorter barrels.
View Quote

Science disagrees
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 6:18:57 PM EDT
[#38]
For those ranges... I’d go with a 16” POF (or build a lightweight M5 or V7) and then put a lightweight 2.5-10x or 3-15x (like one of those Vortex LHTs or a VX5 or VX6) in a Scalarworks Mount.

If your dead set in spending your budget, a 16” Daniel Defense and lightweight scope would be nice.

You won’t need a tack driver to reach out as far .308 will let you for deer. A semiauto is fine and a LW semiauto at 8-9 pounds is doable way under your budget.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
I used to hunt with the LTR in .308.

https://i.imgur.com/CLyYoqE.jpg
View Quote

Excellent choice!
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#40]

Well, I did.  And the setup is quite current.  Ergonomics are better for hunting.  Slim, less bulky, nothing protruding.  Lighter.  More rigid (one piece stock), scope is lower over the bore.  Typically longer 22-24" barrel has better velocity, greater retained downrange energy and flatter trajectory, while still weighing less.  Assuming the AR10 has comparable accuracy, the same ammo is used and equal barrel length, they may be equal at the moment the bullet leaves the barrel.  However, getting to that point and afterward, the "fudd gun" is simply better at the intended purpose.

I have deer hunted with one of my ARs.  It works, but I took it afield more as a curiosity.  Many of my hunting friends have AR10 style rifles.  I've not seen them used for hunting, though.

Now, if someone has an AR10 and no "fudd gun", and wants to hunt deer, by all means.  Don't miss out.  It will work.  I would not be be surprised if that person eventually switched to a a so-called "fudd gun."
View All Quotes

Maybe for how you hunt.  Spot & stalk, trudging up mountains,...sure, a lighter rifle is preferable for that.  IDK what you do.

I hunt my own property 99.9% of the time.  I walk 200 yards out my backdoor, sit in a blind, and have no concerns about shooting 400 yards.  The woods are so thick, I couldn't even hear 1 that far away, let alone shoot at it.

Regardless, 168 gr Win. Ballistic Silvertips killed deer just as dead with my tOBR as they did with my XR-100.  Same thing with 140 gr bullets from my 7-08 Recon Tactical and X-Bolt.

As long as the bullet goes where it needs to, the delivery system makes zero difference.

I'm actually trying to settle on 1 deer rifle to stick with, instead of something different every year, or even 2 or 3 in the same season.

My Henry X-Model .30-30 is the leader so far.  Not because it's lighter, slimmer, and easier to carry, but because it suppresses so well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top