Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2018 3:34:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Red_Robin]
Hi all. I am currently building a Recce/SPR upper and I haven't decided on which barrel to go with. I'll be using a KMR-A 15" rail, Dead Air FH, Sandman S., Omega Forged Upper, & headspaced TC BCG. My primary goals for this upper are reliability & accuracy. I plan on running it suppressed & with factory Black Hills/IMI/CBC 77gr OTM 5.56, as well as 55gr XM193. I don't want to reload for this rifle. Price isn't really a problem, but it would be nice to have the following features:

• Recon profile in 16" that is approx. 33-37oz. I want it to handle a 22oz suppressor hanging off the end while free-floated

• 5.56 chamber (I would like decent accuracy without sacrificing reliability with factory 5.56 loads. 1 MOA or less, 5rd groups with match 5.56 ammo would be preferable)

• A midlength gas system with a gas port that runs reliable with or without a suppressor (but isn't over gassed with a suppressor attached). I don't want to run an adjustable gas block. Does anyone know what port size would best suit this description?

• 1-7 or 1-8 twist. I'm not quite sure about this one. I have read (here) that a 1-7 twist will handle 55gr to 77gr without issue so I'd probably lean that direction.

• Matte or subdued finish option would be preferable, otherwise I'll bead blast it.

• Material: 416R or 410 SS

I have researched and found only two barrels that seem to meet this criteria (Noveske and Wilson Combat). I have zero experience with either of these barrels, and I'm open to other suggestions. Any feedback or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Larue?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#2]
https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/16-sdm-barrel-1-7-twist.html
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 4:10:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Red_Robin] [#3]
Both the WOA and LaRue Stealth offerings are chambered in .223 wylde. I'm looking for a 5.56 NATO chamber.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#4]
check out green mountain barrels also
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Krieger, have them custom make what you want. They aren't cheap, but not as expensive as you would think.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Compass lake engineering is my go to for guaranteed accurate barrels. You can choose from Bartlein, Kreiger, Douglas blanks and they have stock options or can doing to your specs

Give Frank a call and he will get you fixed up
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MarkL1:
View Quote
this is the answer you seek!
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:09:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jondelong:
Larue?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 1:42:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Dunno how stuck on a 5.56 chamber you are, but opening your search up to include Wylde will likely work just as fine while providing a good deal more options. If that’s a possibility, I’d go LaRue or WOA if I wanted the best bang for the buck, or have someone reputable like Precision Firearms/Craddock/CLE/etc cut you a good Bartlein/Kreiger if going all out. Everyone has their preferences here, but honestly unless you both handload and are an excellent shooter I doubt you’d see much difference with any brand in this post.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 2:37:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I have that Wilson barrel...  It's pretty damn nice.  I definitely can't outshoot it for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the feedback guys, it's much appreciated.

Originally Posted By DonofKalifornia:
Krieger, have them custom make what you want. They aren't cheap, but not as expensive as you would think.
View Quote
Looks like it'll $500 for that option, which isn't bad. However, they don't have 5.56 NATO as an option on chamber selection, and their bead blast finish is satin vs. matte.

Originally Posted By everready73:
Compass lake engineering is my go to for guaranteed accurate barrels. You can choose from Bartlein, Kreiger, Douglas blanks and they have stock options or can doing to your specs
View Quote
I just emailed them, waiting for a quote. Thanks!

Originally Posted By winddummy82:
View Quote
View Quote
Looks like WOA will make this with a 5.56 NATO chamber for $50 more as a custom order, so $330 is very reasonable but it's still more than the Wilson Combat which is already chambered in 5.56 NATO. If it's a more precise barrel I'd pay the extra. Does anyone have feedback between the two?
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By doty_soty:
Dunno how stuck on a 5.56 chamber you are, but opening your search up to include Wylde will likely work just as fine while providing a good deal more options. If that’s a possibility, I’d go LaRue or WOA if I wanted the best bang for the buck, or have someone reputable like Precision Firearms/Craddock/CLE/etc cut you a good Bartlein/Kreiger if going all out. Everyone has their preferences here, but honestly unless you both handload and are an excellent shooter I doubt you’d see much difference with any brand in this post.
View Quote
I'd like to stick with a 5.56 NATO chamber for my intended purpose. I don't mind paying extra for a barrel that is more consistent/precise, having a better potential for accuracy with factory ammo.

Originally Posted By helmet91:
I have that Wilson barrel...  It's pretty damn nice.  I definitely can't outshoot it for what it's worth.
View Quote
Awesome! The 1-7" with the 5.56 chamber? I have looked for reviews on it and they seem to be favorable but sparse. What type of 5-10rd groups are you getting? Any loads or weights that it does or doesn't like?
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Red_Robin:

Looks like it'll $500 for that option, which isn't bad. However, they don't have 5.56 NATO as an option on chamber selection, and their bead blast finish is satin vs. matte.

Looks like WOA will make this with a 5.56 NATO chamber for $50 more as a custom order, so $330 is very reasonable but it's still more than the Wilson Combat which is already chambered in 5.56 NATO. If it's a more precise barrel I'd pay the extra. Does anyone have feedback between the two?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I have a Kreiger in my High Power rifle, it is very accurate. Call Kreiger and see if they will make exactly what you need. If not have WOA make what you want out of a Kreiger blank.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Centurion makes a nice RECCE/SPR barrel
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 5:44:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stanprophet09] [#15]
Originally Posted By helmet91:
View Quote
My REECE type build is a wilson, it was a discount deal through JSE where the gas block hole was drilled between Midlength and Carbine. Cut the gas tube down and bubble flared it. If I do my part it shoots ragged holes at 100. I have done half MOA with it before.

ETA:

It is a 223 Wylde chamber SS in 1-8 twist. It ahoots 45-77 grain just fine.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 6:38:37 AM EDT
[#16]
WOA
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 10:52:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Really hard to beat White Oak.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#18]
White Oak Armament

Compass Lake Engineering

Wilson Combat

Larue

Rainier Arms

Shilen

Lilja

Criterion

Noveske

Krieger

there are more, but any of these will serve you well. The problem isn't a lack of quality barrels. The problem is making up one's mind.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. I'm going to place a custom order within the next couple weeks. Which size gas port would be optimal for this build (16" middy, .750 profile, primarily suppressed but still reliable without a suppressor)?
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:15:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: winddummy82] [#20]

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Precision-Rifles/White-Oak-Armament-just-took-the-top-four-places-in-Civilian-Service-Rifle-Competition/17-8189/

John Holliger from WOA will use any blank (kreiger, bartlein, compass lake, etc)you want. give him a call he is a great guy to do business with, very free and upfront with his knowledge.

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

.223/5.56 - White Oak Armament 18" SPR Barrel Break-In and Accuracy Tests
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Bison Armory used to have a good rep in the Mk12 threads. They offer a lighter "Recon" and a heavier SPR-ish profile as well, both 16" Mid-gas. The heavier profile is set up for an Allen Eng AEM5/Ops 12th Model.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#22]
I would get chrome lined for the ease of cleaning and extra durability.

I have Criterion, White Oak, and LaRue barrels and I'm extremely happy with all of them.

http://criterionbarrels.com/ar-15-hybrid

Brownell's link
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#23]
I would like to add Black Hole Weaponry barrels to the pot here. I have one and a few a friends have them as well, they all shoot really well and sub moa. One of the best things with the company is you can spec out your barrel exactly how you want it, length, chamber, profile, gas system, fluting, finish, threads. You can spec out your perfect barrel and they will machine it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Both the WOA and LaRue Stealth offerings are chambered in .223 wylde. I'm looking for a 5.56 NATO chamber.
View Quote
.223 Wylde is designed to fit 5.56 and give better accuracy than a 5.56 chamber's dimensions.  It was specifically designed for that, IIRC.

In 15 years here I have never heard anyone bitching that a .223 Wylde chamber caused reliability issues with 5.56.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:43:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By spartacus2002:
.223 Wylde is designed to fit 5.56 and give better accuracy than a 5.56 chamber's dimensions.  It was specifically designed for that, IIRC.

In 15 years here I have never heard anyone bitching that a .223 Wylde chamber caused reliability issues with 5.56.
View All Quotes

^is accurate. There’s a reason why one has to look hard for match 5.56 barrels, and why one can’t throw a quarter without hitting a couple wylde match barrels these days.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 5:42:12 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

I will be the first to admit that I don't have first hand experience with the .223 Wylde, but I've read some threads that have claimed potential reliably issues because of the tighter tolerances (for instance, user Gamma762 has written a lot about it on this forum). My question is this: Is a .223 Wylde chamber less reliable with factory MK262 ammo than a 5.56 NATO chamber or does it not matter?
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#27]

I will be the first to admit that I don't have first hand experience with the .223 Wylde, but I've read some threads that have claimed potential reliably issues because of the tighter tolerances (for instance, user Gamma762 has written a lot about it on this forum). My question is this: Is a .223 Wylde chamber less reliable with factory MK262 ammo than a 5.56 NATO chamber or does it not matter?
View Quote
You're overthinking it my friend. BUT, if you're really concerned, then pay White Oak the $50 fee for the SDM barrel to be chambered in 556.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:17:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GS5414] [#28]

View Quote
Dude, MK262 and 223 Wylde go together like peanut butter and jelly. In a single season (really about 4 months), I watched about 80,000 rounds expended through Wylde chambered guns without a single issue of any kind.

There are issues out there with folks building guns with subpar parts, poor or mindless assembly, using absolute garbage for ammunition, etc. There’s also manufacturers that are not totally open and honest about what they are selling, or how things were tested. That is where you really hear of issues.

Call up Compass Lake Engineering, for instance, and ask them about their assembly methods. Frank White is totally open about how he does everything, from timing gas ports, to setting headspace, to his parts suppliers. These are the type of businesses you really want to buy from.

Summary - find a reputable manufacturer that specializes in a given part (barrels in this case), and buy a 223 Wylde chambered gun with confidence. CLE is my number one recommended source for what you seek.

S/F
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I forgot to mention Precision Reflex Inc. (PRI), the make Mark 12 profile barrels in 1/7 and 1/8 twists, 16" or 18" long from Douglas blanks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
This is what you want. I’ve had about every barrel mentioned here and CLE Is by far the best.
I do have a original Noveske that is amazingly accuaratr that I will never sell.
I’m and NOT a fan of Larue.
WOA are a solid 8 and make a great barrel.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 10:17:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#31]
Hi all. I am currently building a Recce/SPR upper and I haven't decided on which barrel to go with. I'll be using a KMR-A 15" rail, Dead Air FH, Sandman S., Omega Forged Upper, & headspaced TC BCG. My primary goals for this upper are reliability & accuracy. I plan on running it suppressed & with factory Black Hills/IMI/CBC 77gr OTM 5.56, as well as 55gr XM193. I don't want to reload for this rifle. Price isn't really a problem, but it would be nice to have the following features:

• Recon profile in 16" that is approx. 33-37oz. I want it to handle a 22oz suppressor hanging off the end while free-floated

• 5.56 chamber (I would like decent accuracy without sacrificing reliability with factory 5.56 loads. 1 MOA or less, 5rd groups with match 5.56 ammo would be preferable)

• A midlength gas system with a gas port that runs reliable with or without a suppressor (but isn't over gassed with a suppressor attached). I don't want to run an adjustable gas block. Does anyone know what port size would best suit this description?

• 1-7 or 1-8 twist. I'm not quite sure about this one. I have read (here) that a 1-7 twist will handle 55gr to 77gr without issue so I'd probably lean that direction.

• Matte or subdued finish option would be preferable, otherwise I'll bead blast it.

• Material: 416R or 410 SS

I have researched and found only two barrels that seem to meet this criteria (Noveske and Wilson Combat). I have zero experience with either of these barrels, and I'm open to other suggestions. Any feedback or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
View Quote
Just get the "real deal" Recce barrel.  Lilja 16" M4 Navy.  The original barrel they made for Navy SEAL use per specs of NSWC Crane.  It was designed for use with an Ops, Inc. or KAC supressor and so used in the wild.

Hits all your criteria, except its Wylde chamber, which is purposefully designed to bring match accuracy with NATO 5.56 ammo like Mk262 77 grain OTM.

It is 416 stainless, 1:8 twist, pull button rifled, hand lapped, benchrest quality.  2.2 lbs., if I recall.  $490 plus shipping.  Mine shoots sub 1/2 MOA with Berger match bullets, either extreme, from 52 grain flat base to Berger's 77 OTM, over appropriately laddered loads of H-4895 in Lapua Match cases.

Note that this is the original profile, so it is a carbine gas port location.  It has a largish .080" port, but that will ensure reliable cycling with handloaded match ammo which can be lower pressure, especially my 52 Berger load.  You can always use an adjustable gas block or run a heavier buffer if you shoot mostly full power 5.56 NATO.

This is a benchrest quality barrel.  It will test your own limits and those of the rest of the rifle's components.  It is better than I am presently capable.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm pretty sure the Daniel Defense S2W 16" barrel fits your criteria if you can find one.  Mine is a quite accurate, reliable shooter.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By wiseanhyzer:
I'm pretty sure the Daniel Defense S2W 16" barrel fits your criteria if you can find one.  Mine is a quite accurate, reliable shooter.
View Quote
they don't make that anymore.  There's a thread in their industry forum begging them to make it again.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#34]
they don't make that anymore.  There's a thread in their industry forum begging them to make it again.
View All Quotes
Ah, that's a shame.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Ah, that's a shame.
View All Quotes
Ah, that's a shame.
yes, it is a shame. It is a perfect blend of stability, accuracy, and longevity, without being too heavy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Give some though to Odin Works

https://www.odinworks.com/223_Wylde_16_1_Intermid_p/b-223-16-int-tg.htm

I have the 16" 1:8 twist barrel with the intermediate gas system. It also comes with a gas block and gas tube. My gun regularly shoots sub MOA groups and the combination of the intermediate length gas system and tuneable gas block make it very soft shooting
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 12:29:16 AM EDT
[#37]
All cans cause overgassed rifles. Noveske makes a switch block gas system that allows you to flip a lever for suppressed or unsuppressed fire. Get a PRI Gas Buster charging handle, it will help redirect gas away from your face and eyes.

.223 Wylde is stone reliable unless it's over 95° F outside and you're running full-auto. Only a handful of people have to worry about that.

Frank White - CLE may be back logged right now because his business took a hit from the last hurricane. His work is top notch.

Seriously buy any quality barrel. They will all work out fine. The only thing you may have to do is install a heavier buffer to slow the action down suppressed.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#38]
223 Wylde chamber, so not exactly what you asked for, but this is a good deal nonetheless:

16" Proof Research Recce Barrel
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:19:21 AM EDT
[#39]
If you spend more than $250 on a barrel and get a 5.56 chamber you're throwing money away. A premium barrel needs a good chamber and 5.56 ain't it.

Wylde will not let you down.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Got an email the other day from WOA, they are now offering barrels from Bartlein blanks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:01:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BCOWANWHEELS] [#41]
18-20 INCH , I PREFER DOUGLASS BARRELS FROM CLE. LIGHT WEIGHT. BECAUSE ITS SHOOT N SCOOT..........1 SHOT 1 HIT N GO A 20 INCH WILL KILL MOST FLASH THEN ADD A SMITH VORTEX DONE 77GRN
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote
So going a straight 5.56 chamber is not going to get you and more reliability than a good old 223 wylde chamber dude.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By BCOWANWHEELS:
18-20 INCH , I PREFER DOUGLASS BARRELS FROM CLE. LIGHT WEIGHT. BECAUSE ITS SHOOT N SCOOT..........1 SHOT 1 HIT N GO A 20 INCH WILL KILL MOST FLASH THEN ADD A SMITH VORTEX DONE 77GRN
View Quote
Why are you yelling in all caps???? dude wants a 16 inch barrel
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By BCOWANWHEELS:
View Quote
LOL, start wearing hearing protection at the range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top