Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2018 2:24:33 PM EDT
Building a medium range rifle for varmint hunting. (200-500) yards
For some reason unknown to me, I accidentally ordered the 20 moa riser version of a one piece mount for my Leopold VX5 2x10 scope.
Do I need to return it? This is a hunting rifle so I may have to use it on targets of opportunity under 75 yards.

I have never been in the long range game, never used a riser, so I have no idea if this is appropriate for hunting unknown distances and what that does to holdovers, ect.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 2:32:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#1]
I'd absolutely want this.

It just allows for additional elevation for longer shots.  You might not need it, but it should not hurt at all.  It simply means your scope will zero at a different mechanical setting than it would with a zero MOA mount.

If you never plan to use your turrets, and will only use hold-overs with the reticle for shots, it wont make any difference.

That scope has a very useful turret, but only 38 MOA of total rang, so putting your zero lower in that range with a 20 MOA mount is a good thing, it just lets you take longer shots.... without the risk of running out of elevation in the turret.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, thanks. Never having used one, I wasn't sure.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

It just allows for additional elevation for longer shots.  You might not need it, but it should not hurt at all.  It simply means your scope will zero at a different mechanical setting than it would with a zero MOA mount.

If you never plan to use your turrets, and will only use hold-overs with the reticle for shots, it wont make any difference.

That scope has a very useful turret, but only 38 MOA of total rang, so putting your zero lower in that range with a 20 MOA mount is a good thing, it just lets you take longer shots.... without the risk of running out of elevation in the turret.
View Quote
@Falarak
If I do use my turrets, is there a way to compensate for it?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By cpl_fisher:
@Falarak
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cpl_fisher:
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

@Falarak
Zero need to compensate for anything.

a canted mount simply changes the mechanical zero position.  Nothing else changes.  You use the scope as you always would.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I added one and had to add foam to my stock to use it.  That is on an AR magpul stock though, probably not much of an issue on a bolt gun with adjustable stock
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
20 MOA is not going to hurt you at short range and will help you at long range; chooot it!
View Quote
I don't understand why anyone would buy a scope and then mount it so that half of the internal elevation they paid for goes away.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:

I don't understand why anyone would buy a scope and then mount it so that half of the internal elevation they paid for goes away.
View Quote
Quite odd really.  Decades of it though.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By jondelong:
I added one and had to add foam to my stock to use it.  That is on an AR magpul stock though, probably not much of an issue on a bolt gun with adjustable stock
View Quote
That is wholly dependent on the mount.

20 MOA at 5" is only a few thousandths. My Badger Ordnance one piece mounts have my scopes nearly slammed on the handguards of my rifles.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
This has very little to do with it being a 20 MOA mount or 0 MOA.  The difference in scope cant is likely imperceptible to the shooter.

20 MOA = .33 degrees = 0.035" over a 6 inch distance.  If a typical scope eye relief is 3.5 inches, and we assume the center of the mount base to the rear objective of the scope is 6", this means the eye position is 0.055" higher with a 20 MOA mount, versus a similar 0 MOA mount.

55 thousandths is less than 1/16" of an inch.

I'm not sure if I could detect that difference.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine is a 20MOA weaver that you screw on the rail.  Interesting conundrum today; even with my PST gen2 5-25 bottomed out, could not zero at 75Y (as far as I can go in my yard).  Still like 10-12" high.  Removed it (and then had to remove the foam as it put my eye too high up).  Rezeored, now I can only get 8 MIL vertical adjustment,  this is on a 6.5G, 18" barrel.  So 20MOA base, cannot zero at 100 and likely even 200 bottomed out.  Without base, only have 8MIL vertical (1k yards is 13 mil), not enough to dial or hold for 1k.

i am confused!  Arfcom you are my only hope
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine is a 20MOA weaver that you screw on the rail.  Interesting conundrum today; even with my PST gen2 5-25 bottomed out, could not zero at 75Y (as far as I can go in my yard).  Still like 10-12" high.  Removed it (and then had to remove the foam as it put my eye too high up).  Rezeored, now I can only get 8 MIL vertical adjustment,  this is on a 6.5G, 18" barrel.  So 20MOA base, cannot zero at 100 and likely even 200 bottomed out.  Without base, only have 8MIL vertical (1k yards is 13 mil), not enough to dial or hold for 1k.

i am confused!  Arfcom you are my only hope
View Quote
Don't be insulted, but did you undo the zero stop on the scope?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Don't be insulted, but did you undo the zero stop on the scope?
View Quote
I was just going to ask that..sounds like he is against it...
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:47:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jd2395] [#14]
Yes, I undid it, bottomed it out, then zeroed at 75 without riser.  Set zero stop and the most I can dial is 8 mil, not even a complete rotation (10 mils total)

i think i thought of all of all the dumb stuff that I may be doing, maybe.  But yes, for sure I undid the zero stop and bottomed out per the instructions

from memory, I think it has 20 mil total travel, which means I am using 12 to get a 100y zero which seems off to me.

eta:  no suggestions will be insulting.  Would love to solve the problem even if it means admitting I am an idiot
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:52:01 PM EDT
[#15]
You think you could post a pic of your setup?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:59:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Sure, what is most critical?  Scope mount, rail?  It is a aero SPR 30mm mount with Vortex PST gen2 5-25x.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:29:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I just wanted to look at how everything's mounted on the gun.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:08:44 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
Wondering if it is backwards?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:33:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
View All Quotes

Maybe
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:48:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Maybe
View All Quotes

Maybe
I've seen that a few times. Once with Burris Z rings.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Will do.  I have removed the base but can mount it or mock it up.  It really goes on only one way as there is a "overhang" section designed to span upper receiver and handguard/rail.

th original scope I had on the same rifle was a weaver tactical 6-30X FFP in the same mount, but 34mm.  I ran it out to 1k and was able to dial 13mil just fine,  it broke, replaced with PST gen2.

it is consistent; I pulled the base off and re zeroed per instructions for the zero stop, and sure enough, I can only go 8 mil up.

On paper the base was going to give me enough to dial 1k and beyond (although the round I think is transonic there or close to it per applied ballistics).  I was hoping to keep 100Y zero in this scenario as I will use for hunting (likely well inside 200Y)

thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top