Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2021 1:14:39 AM EDT
I have a 6.5 Grendel that I built primarily for target shooting but it will also see use occasionally for hunting.  It currently sports a LaRue MBT-2 trigger.  It's a pretty good trigger, especially considering the price but I think I want to put it into my .50 Beowulf which has a terrible trigger in it.  That means I need a new one for the Grendel.  

I prefer 2 stage triggers for target usage and hunting.  I need some recommendations for this application.  I can't afford to go full silly price-wise so $200-250 is really my max.  If it's less than that all the better but I don't see it happening.  I don't have a lot of experience with triggers.  Other than my MBT-2 and a RRA National Match 2 stage I've only ever owned factory milspec triggers.

What do you guys recommend?
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 2:42:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Geissele "High-Speed National Match" triggers on my precision shooters. lucked on the last one I purchased catching a good sale and a coupon code for $189 ($279 normally)...don't know if I would ever hunt with it though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 3:43:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JPK] [#2]
I’d go Geissele G2S or MBT2. I find the G2S slightly cleaner.

I have an SSA and it’s slightly better than the G2S, but not worth the price difference, imo.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 7:38:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Geissele SSA-E.
It's a bit lighter than a G2S or SSA.
Perfect for hunting and target shooting.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AaronR:
Geissele "High-Speed National Match" triggers on my precision shooters. lucked on the last one I purchased catching a good sale and a coupon code for $189 ($279 normally)...don't know if I would ever hunt with it though.
View Quote

Second choice after this is the Rock River.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 8:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Why wouldn't you hunt with it?
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 1:30:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#6]
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#7]
The ALG-ACT trigger is a great value. It's around $60 on sale and is excellent for a self-defense/duty trigger.

I own Geissele, Rock River, Jewel and ALG-ACT triggers and I keep going back to the ALG because it's everything I need and nothing I don't.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 2:04:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Brandi:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@Brandi

very light trigger, especially the exceptionally light 2nd stage (with no over-travel and very precise break); typical hunting situations (e.g., cold hands, thicker gloves) and high stress (e.g., nervous)  can translate to un-intended consequences
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#9]

@Brandi

very light trigger, especially the exceptionally light 2nd stage (with no over-travel and very precise break); typical hunting situations (e.g., cold hands, thicker gloves) and high stress (e.g., nervous)  can translate to un-intended consequences
View Quote

Ok, thanks.  Must be lighter than I thought.  I definitely don't want anything that light.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#10]
The Larue MBT-2S is a very good trigger for the money. I have one in my AR-10 that I use for hunting.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Whichever you get, do practice with gloves on before hunting season. Yes I found out the hard way. I’ve had to pull a few “good” triggers because they just didn’t work well with gloves on.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 1:36:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#12]
Originally Posted By thorn653:
Geissele SSA-E.
View Quote

100% agree.  The 3.5 lb total pull through is comparable to all my hunting bolt guns.  Safe, yet light enough for accurate shot placement when having to make quick shots.  And the crisp breaking 1 to 1.2 lb second stage is great for still/stand hunting and for precision/target shooting where you can take your time.  It complements a sub MOA build.

I think the light crisp second stage is fine on a hunting rifle because you still have to pull through the first stage to get to it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By thebert:
The Larue MBT-2S is a very good trigger for the money. I have one in my AR-10 that I use for hunting.
View Quote

The MBT-2S is the trigger I'm replacing.  I like it well enough but as I said originally I'm moving it to a different rifle and want something else for the new rifle.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 11:27:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Buckeye33:
Whichever you get, do practice with gloves on before hunting season. Yes I found out the hard way. I’ve had to pull a few “good” triggers because they just didn’t work well with gloves on.
View Quote

That's good advice.  It doesn't get that cold here and I usually wear glommits if I'm hunting in cold weather so it's easier than regular gloves.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 11:28:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MS556:

100% agree.  The 3.5 lb total pull through is comparable to all my hunting bolt guns.  Safe, yet light enough for accurate shot placement when having to make quick shots.  And the crisp breaking 1 to 1.2 lb second stage is great for still/stand hunting and for precision/target shooting where you can take your time.  It complements a sub MOA build.

I think the light crisp second stage is fine on a hunting rifle because you still have to pull through the first stage to get to it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MS556:
Geissele SSA-E.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I would hunt any weather with my High Speed DMR trigger but l second the SSA-E recommendation.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 12:32:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I would recommend using the same trigger for all the rifles. I have a few different types. If I did it again they would all be the same so I would be consistent from a match to hunting varmints. I find it is difficult to know the trigger break when they feel different and trigger bow geometry if different.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#18]
How are these? They were on sale for $10 cheaper recently.
https://dsgarms.com/lower-receiver-parts-dsg-4202-0012
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Geissele SSA-E.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2021 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Just get another larue trigger and be done. For the money they can’t be beat.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Geisselle SSA--E is a great trigger. There are a lot of good from various makers.

Link Posted: 8/30/2021 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:01:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Geissele SSA-E.
View Quote

Yes!  3.5 lb total pull through is safe for hunting, and the very crisp second stage is only 1.0 - 1.2 lbs.  Its perfect for a precision rifle that sees both hunting and time at the bench.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:20:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#24]

@Brandi

View All Quotes

@Brandi

Uh, nope.  The SSA-E is still a 3.5 lb trigger.  Takes 3.5 lbs on the trigger shoe for the hammer to drop. You are not going to hold it at the stage 2 "wall" unless you are hunting from a shoot house, blind or such.  Its quite useful then for long shots over beanfields.  All my hunting bolt guns have single stage 3 lb. triggers.  I would not want heavier.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#25]
If you shop around you can find a triggertech diamond ar. Adjustable from 1.5-4 pounds and breaks like glass. I shoot on on my coyote gun and bought a second for my precision AR build
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:59:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stitchclimber] [#26]
Originally Posted By Smid:
If you shop around you can find a triggertech diamond ar. Adjustable from 1.5-4 pounds and breaks like glass. I shoot on on my coyote gun and bought a second for my precision AR build
View Quote

I couldn't agree more!  The TriggerTech units seem to be kind of an open-secret or something.  I mean, they are Canadian, but dang to they make some nice stuff!  

Currently my wife and I are trying these out:

Two-Stage(Yes. I love flat-faced triggers)

-Geissele SD-3G x 1, Technically a single-stage, but it doesn't act like it.  This is the, "Wanna Go FAST" trigger.
-Geissele SD-C x 1, This one is in my .224 Valkyrie precision gas gun.
-LaRue MBT-2S-SB(flat face), HD/Truck gun triggers with the lighter spring installed.
-Triggertech Competition 3.5#, Flat-faced, on in a RECCE/Coyote gun.

Single-Stage

-Timney Single Stage Competition 3# x 1, My wife's comp/lightish weight rifle.
-Mega Arms single stage trigger with lightened CMMG hammer x 1, pistol lower as a spare.  This trigger will ignite any primer so it's kept as a "known as functional" diagnostic trigger.  At 4.5#, it's a little heavy for my preference.

I've also owned some CMC single-stage, RRA 2-Stage(National Match,, not the Varmint), POF single-stage and probably others that I can't think of.

About 4 years ago I "finally saw the light" on two-stage triggers, even for run and gun stuff.

Single-stage with no creep or take-up is great for fast shooting or where hits are more important than groups.  I learned that I actually preferred to take up a little slack, or "prep the trigger" and the 2-stage allows that.  I was able to have a lighter feeling trigger, but with the safety benefits and the option to let off if the shot and/or follow-up shot(s) are not needed after prepping the trigger.

I sold my CMC and POF single-stage triggers(don't get me wrong, they were great) and have picked up a few TriggerTech Competition units and I plan to put one of their R700 Primary triggers in my deer bolt gun.

The Adaptable units are awesome but if trying to stay under the $170ish price, those are out of reach.

I have tried, but do not own KAC and LMT 2-stahe triggers(both very nice and both are $$$$, even used) and recently tried the DSG Arms(Schmidt Tool) 2-stage and I was super impressed!

I would probably be running those almost exclusively and have spares right now, if not for the fact that they don't make a flat-faced trigger shoe, at least not yet(I can dream, right?).

The G2S is a rock-solid trigger and with the heavier trigger spring installed  that sounds like it would be perfect for a hunting rig if the weight needs/desired to be over 4#.

I also got to try a Stern Defense H2S hybrid with the lighter spring installed and was might impressive, especially for the price

Not sure if this will be any help, but these are a few first-hand experiences from being around the AR game for a while.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By stitchclimber:

I couldn't agree more!  The TriggerTech units seem to be kind of an open-secret or something.  I mean, they are Canadian, but dang to they make some nice stuff!  
View Quote

Very true. I converted two of my buddies, they thought I was crazy until they shot a couple rounds with it. My new one should be here this week, and I’m pretty pumped. I opted for the flat version so we’ll see how that goes. I say I bought it, but I actually won a Facebook raffle. $30 for a ticket so it was practically a steal
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 2:44:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Smid:

Very true. I converted two of my buddies, they thought I was crazy until they shot a couple rounds with it. My new one should be here this week, and I’m pretty pumped. I opted for the flat version so we’ll see how that goes. I say I bought it, but I actually won a Facebook raffle. $30 for a ticket so it was practically a steal
View Quote

Now that's a deal, wow!   Congratulations!

I was super excited to find a super low round count Competition version in the EE here for $125!

The only thing I've found is that I can outrun the TT triggers in my comp gun.  In that case, I'm running an SD-3G and my wife is running a Timney single-stage in her gun.

Flat triggers just don't work for some people, but I find that my finger placement is more repeatable and they are just more comfortable.

I love flat triggers so much, that all my Glock pistols have them.

What a time to be in the shooting game as far as parts go.  When I got my first AR in 2005, there weren't that many choices for parts.  There sure wasn't "too many" choices like we're all blessed with here in 2021!
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 4:20:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Geissele SSA-E.
View Quote

Same recommendation

Link Posted: 9/23/2021 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Have Geissele, LaRue, Rock River and Schmid Tool NiB 2 stage triggers.
They're all fine but the Schmid tool with a couple of spring swaps is pretty great for cheap.
Reduced power trigger spring (JP or KVP) and a bolt catch spring for the disconnector work really well.
A LaRue is almost the same price if using the JP spring kit but the modded Schmid is much lighter, but can be less than crisp unless you tune it, due to pin spacing variations.
Mine are light enough that I haven't tuned any of them because they're still easy to shoot well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top