Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2018 8:26:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: learningcircles]
Should I even bother trying to see if my new rifle will work with a silencer and the factory gas system?

Or should I just go ahead and order an adjustable gas block?

Almost everything I've read says that there will be problems.

edit: I suppose what I'm really asking here is, "if you have a DPMS Recon 308, what were your reliability experiences with the factory gas system while using a suppressor?"

I'll be shooting mostly federal gold medal match 168gr, or ZQI 150 gr FMJ.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#1]
You have nothing to lose if you wait to see if it works without an adjustable gas block other than the patience of waiting for one in the mail if it doesn't work.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:11:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: learningcircles] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gambel_02:
You have nothing to lose if you wait to see if it works without an adjustable gas block other than the patience of waiting for one in the mail if it doesn't work.
View Quote
I thought the same at first, but finding the time and spending money to go to the range isn't easy for me. I have a 7 month old baby, I work full time, and I'm in grad school full time on weeknights (and doing homework on weekends).

When I take a trip to the range, I want to come home with the rifle sighted in and ready for use.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Then I would probably buy one just to be safe if money isn't the issue here, but time is.

Technically, you could still sight it in without a cycling rifle
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Then I would probably buy one just to be safe if money isn't the issue here, but time is.

Technically, you could still sight it in without a cycling rifle
View Quote
I thought about that too, but changing the gas block might alter barrel harmonics enough to throw me off at 500+ yards.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never attempted to fire a 30 cal at that distance so i'm afraid I don't have any first hand experience to lend you.

With all the factors you have mentioned I would list my personal priorities as such:

1. Buy adjustable gas block to have on hand in case I needed it.

2. Make sure rifle will cycle while suppressed.

3. After rifle cycling is sorted out, stretch to 500yds and see what happens.

4. If rifle doesn't cycle with its own gas system, and barrel harmonics throw off shots at distances of 500yds, sell said rifle and buy a bolt gun?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#6]
4. If rifle doesn't cycle with its own gas system, and barrel harmonics throw off shots at distances of 500yds, sell said rifle and buy a bolt gun?
View Quote
I sold my bolt action to buy the gas gun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top