Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2020 10:55:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Krauss]
So In my infinite wisdom I quickly ordered some ammo to throw on the shelf I found in stock.

Came in today and it’s 7MM STW but on the website under description it was listed also as 7mm rem mag  

I’m going to guess I can’t shoot this in my normal 7mag gun.....?

Does anyone actually shoot this lol

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By AKCory762:
So In my infinite wisdom I quickly ordered some ammo to throw on the shelf I found in stock.

Came in today and it's 7MM STW but on the website under description it was listed also as 7mm rem mag  

I'm going to guess I can't shoot this in my normal 7mag gun.....?

Does anyone actually shoot this lol

Thanks for the help.
View Quote
Nope.... 7mm Shooting Times Westerner is a necked down 8mm rem mag....   it will laugh at you're 7mm in way too long.....  Elk hunters out west seemed to like it, and I think it got it start as a 1000 yard wildcat, but not sure on that.....    

Probably best to call the seller and try to return, unless you know some big game/long distance guys....
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#2]
As posted, it’s a completely different round. I’d return it. Or buy a new rifle.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I had one. Rem model 700 SS. Topped it with a Burris Sig series 8x32.

They're loud. I reloaded for it. To answer your question no you can't, but

you can chamber a 7 mm mag into it. Learned that from my son who I gave it too. He

called me and said it's all over the paper. I told him to take it too a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I figured so

I saw 7mm rem mag at the bottom there and was like okay cool. Guess not....or am I looking at that wrong
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#5]
The only other time I've heard of this round, the gentlemen called it the "7mm shooting times weekly"

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#6]
My brother has one, its a decent 7mm, has a bit more oomf than the 7rm....I don't think my brother has shot his in years...
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
My brother has one, its a decent 7mm, has a bit more oomf than the 7rm....I don't think my brother has shot his in years...
View Quote

Does he need some ammo? lol
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:20:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AKCory762:

Does he need some ammo? lol
View Quote

LOL..Not that I know of..
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Hit up longrangehunting.com there are hundreds of STW shooters there. It's pretty popular in that crowd. Excellent round.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:49:20 AM EDT
[#10]
My old man shoots a 7stw. He reloads for it mainly these days as factory ammo is expensive. How cheap you want to sell it?
It’s a neat round and loaded up hot, will push that 180gr Berger like no tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Sucks when you recieve something other than what you ordered...

That being said, 7mmSTW is a beast. 28 Nosler copies it more or less.

I have an older Win Model 70 HS Precision edition chambered in 7 STW. Awesome shooter, taken more than a few bull moose.

Biggest issue with factory 7 STW rifles vs 28 Nosler and some 7mm Mag modern rifles is twist.

It comes from an age when nobody really shot anything over 140gr in thier 7mm rifles, be it 7mm mag or 7mm-08.

I believe mine is a 1:9 but it might even be a 1:10.. I've only used 140gr TSX bullets in that specific rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top