Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2021 6:44:48 PM EDT
Would someone share with me the COL for the Berger 180 Hybrid and 190 LR?

Also the proper neck die bushing for the brass you use.

I am trying to choose a reamer mfg and I noticed on a print that they were using Lapua brass.  I did not think Lapua ever made brass for this cartridge.

Thank You
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 3:41:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#1]
Lapua does not make any brass as of now for any of the 404 jeffery based rounds..If you want equal quality brass that is made..ADG brass is every bit the equal of lapau brass and they do make it for 7SAUM..

https://atlasdg.com/product/7mm-saum/

As for COAL for your rifle..thats up to you, if you need to fit a magazine then you build your ammo slightly shorter that mag length so it will function properly, if you single feed or modify the rifle for longer mags, then you can use where the lads are in your barrel to set COAL... to give an ice, I have a rifle built for 300rum(404 Jeffries case big brother to your scum), SAAMI prints set coal at 3.6" max..I have the rifle throated for running the heavies, so I single feed and load out to 3.950" for my 230 berger LR load, for my shorter hunting load based off a barnes 200 grain LRX I have it setup for mag length in the accurate mags 3.850" CIP pics type mags and the 200's run at 3.760"... the advantage of running custom is you can maximize cartridge space while getting max performance from the bullet, the case, the powder and the cartridge combo...

ETA: A final though on reamer choice, you need to discuss with your gunsmith what is best for what you want to do..and you need to be honest with him about your loading abilities, if you have no plan to spend the time to build quality ammo matched to your chamber, there is no reason to use more then a SAAMI match chamber ream...If you are going to build the ammo and everything it entails, then first you need to decide on the actual use of the rifle, then what bullet/bullets best fulfill that use and finally get with the smith and decide a twist and a reamer that makes that possible...

As for which bushing you need, you can't know that until you get the brass you are going to use and measure it..generally you will want at least 3 bushings for subtle differences in brass thickness anyway, and you may want more, I currently have 6 bushings for my one LR rifle..
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for taking the time to reply. It is sad but I forgot where I actually placed this post.  I have a 300WM action and I plan on using it for the 7saum. It has a CIP length mag length. It will be just fine since the SAUM OAL are about 3.1in with the 190 LRHT Bergers.

I hand load all my ammo and will have a throated reamer made for it.  I'm not sure who I will use Manson-PTG-JGS. It will depend on what  my gunsmith likes.

ADG brass will not be run until July and Norma is also on BO with a expected delivery in Sept.  Bullets are ordered and I have the powder and primers I need.

I did find the bushings I need and a expander mandrel in .283.

I like your truck. If I could find one like it I would have it lowered.

Thanks again, Richard
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for taking the time to reply. It is sad but I forgot where I actually placed this post.  I have a 300WM action and I plan on using it for the 7saum. It has a CIP length mag length. It will be just fine since the SAUM OAL are about 3.1in with the 190 LRHT Bergers.

I hand load all my ammo and will have a throated reamer made for it.  I'm not sure who I will use Manson-PTG-JGS. It will depend on what  my gunsmith likes.

ADG brass will not be run until July and Norma is also on BO with a expected delivery in Sept.  Bullets are ordered and I have the powder and primers I need.

Thanks again, Richard
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sylvster:

good deal, glad you have everything figured out, should make a great round...
Thanks again, Richard
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top