Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2016 7:16:21 PM EDT
I have been entertaining the idea of an AR15 upper in one of the 6mm wildcats, and I have seen that they are most commonly set up with 24"-26" barrel for high power.

With the new mid-range "tactical" AR prone matches, which, with a max range of 600 yds would work at the club I belong to, I am thinking that a 6mm AR upper with a barrel under the 20" limit would be perfect for this type of match.

Any reason why not?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 2:16:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By kc3:
I have been entertaining the idea of an AR15 upper in one of the 6mm wildcats, and I have seen that they are most commonly set up with 24"-26" barrel for high power.

With the new mid-range "tactical" AR prone matches, which, with a max range of 600 yds would work at the club I belong to, I am thinking that a 6mm AR upper with a barrel under the 20" limit would be perfect for this type of match.

Any reason why not?
View Quote

I'm thinking about doing one too. Perhaps the 6mm AR Turbo 40 Improved or 6mm Hagar: http://www.6mmar.com/6mmAR_Turbo_40_Improved.php

I have a .224 Temeyok/6.8 Kunz right now. It's a 6.8 SPC case necked down to .224 with the shoulder bumped forward.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad to see a thread on this.

I had a similar thought - why WOULDN'T you go with a 6mmAR-type versus a 6.5 Grendel?

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, for wildcats, the 6mm's will be the ones to beat due to BC and speed.

Hagar limits your use of VLDs to single load.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

View Quote

What's the advantage of the Grendel over the 6mmAR?

Your posts are going to eventually cost me money.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By USPcompact:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Factory ammo support and hunting.  I know 6mm will kill, and is very popular for coyote hunting, but I personally prefer to use 6.5mm at a minimum for mule deer and elk.

The 6mm wildcats are really good for target, since they are so flat, fast, with BCs in the .5's for G1.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#6]
A 20 inch would have less muzzle blast and rifle length gas.
You can have it fluted if weight is a concern.
I went with a 22 inch krieger and its 1/2 MOA with 105 A max and 107 SMK.
Like the 6mmAR the most since it shoots the 105 weight bullets.
With an SLR adjustable gas block its very smooth shooting.
The 6mm fat rat is real good also if you like fire forming for more speed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Factory ammo support and hunting.  I know 6mm will kill, and is very popular for coyote hunting, but I personally prefer to use 6.5mm at a minimum for mule deer and elk.

The 6mm wildcats are really good for target, since they are so flat, fast, with BCs in the .5's for G1.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Barrel life measured in boxes?  

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty much the biggest disadvantage with the 6mm wildcats, .243, etc.

Barrel life is pretty short.

No free lunches.

I'm still not sure what the barrel life is with 6.5 Grendel.

Les Baer has one that was over 22,000 rounds and still holding 1/2 MOA, and that Black Hills load he offers is hot.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#9]
With a cut rifled high quality steel barrel from Krieger you will spend far more money on ammo or reloads than the cost  of  the barrel.
For a couple hundred dollars more than a regular barrel you're better off.
Getting an accurate load is easy.
Every load in my 6mmAR shoots sub moa
I think my barrel will shoot the way it does now for several years.
The grendel is extremely good with a barrel length you're considering but the 6mm will be a couple hundred fps faster with a bullet having the same BC.
They're both good but the 6mm has a slight edge in wind deflection and a little flatter shooting.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:18:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, you can increase barrel life with steel quality.

The harder stainless pipes like Krieger and Bartlein will resist throat erosion and accuracy loss longer, especially if you polish the throat every 100-250rds.

My buddy's 20" 6mm AR is basically recoilless.

A lot of guys here and in Idaho like them for yotes because they are so flat, and buck the wind so well.

6mm is plenty for yotes too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#11]
For a newbie, what is the recommended twist rate and rifling for the 6mm AR. I have a guy to make me a barrel from a blank, he only does 6 groove rifling. I was going to go with a medium contour 20" barrel. Just looking for opinions.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:29:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperJlarge] [#12]
Curious at 20” which would win out. A 224 Valkyrie/22 grendel pushing a 88eld or 95 smk over a 6mm AR pushing 105/107’s.

I was pretty set with going with a 6mmAR Turbo for gas gun tactical matches, but I think the 224VALKYRIE may work very well, and there’s factory ammo for when I don’t want to reload.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's a 27" .223 Wylde:

Christmas build.

Attachment Attached File

Turns out that's a 27" bbl from muzzle to bolt face - from a 27" Green Mountain Blank.  Paladin Machine Service rocks!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Paladin-Machine-Service/106042336407804

My FIL made the bayonet lug from a P-14 lug and cleaned up the Chassepot rifle bayonet and it's 22" blade made in 1869.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I went 22” on my fat rat and don’t have any regrets. Long enough to still get good velocity but short enough where it’s very easy to maneuver.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a 20" 6mm Fat Rat and use it to push Sierra 107's to 2750 fps. It's nice and handy at that length barrel, but in hindsight I wish I would have went with a 22-24" with extended gas system.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top