Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2019 2:03:29 PM EDT
Looking at getting into paper and steel at distance. Thinking about building an entry level set up to see if I like it before investing a ton of money. Gonna be on an AR platform. Having trouble deciding between the 224 Valkyrie and 6.5 Creedmore. I know they're apples and oranges. I already have a AR's, a 5.54 and a 300 AAC. Kinda think an AR 10 would be cool. What are your thoughts on something for someone new to this flavor of shooting?
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#1]
6.5 Creedmoore will cover more roles if you decide to hunt. But if you like predator hunting and ever get decent fur prices the .224V will shine. Plus I think the 6.5 will be a little more forgiving on barrel life.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 1:48:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TeeRex] [#2]
2 different size platforms, but valkyrie has been a disaster thus far.  Some people have shooters, but a ton of them just aren't up to par as far as being shooters.  It's an issue of ammo and reamers and all sorts of other stuff.  I really prefer bolt guns for precision work, but with the choices you're looking at I'd absolutely go the Creedmoor in the large frame.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
2 different size platforms, but valkyrie has been a disaster thus far.  Some people have shooters, but a ton of them just aren't up to par as far as being shooters.  It's an issue of ammo and reamers and all sorts of other stuff.  I really prefer bolt guns for precision work, but with the choices you're looking at I'd absolutely go the Creedmoor in the large frame.
View Quote
Yep the 6.8 and the Valkyrie are a more perfect comparison.   The Valkyrie uses the 6.8 parent case.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Consider the 6.5 Grendel.  It's a small frame AR, inherently accurate and quite capable of reaching out to 1k yards.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#5]
As a very strong 6.5 supporter, I’m gonna advocate you get the Valkyrie. The only thing I would do is get the barrel a bit longer, probably 24”.  You’ll get more barrel life out of the Valkyrie too.

I’m getting a Valkyrie but I’m having a barrel chambered for my Bighorn TL3. Gonna do a 26” pipe. I’m gonna experiment with some slower burning powders.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input everyone. I went with the 6.5 Creedmoor. All suggestions have their merits. I already own a 5.56 and 300aac and have always wanted an AR-10 so I went with a PSA 20" upper and their lower offering with the 2 stage trigger. Entry level I know but that's where I'm at in this situation. Looking forward to learning this new to me discipline. Thanks again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top