Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ThisWildAdventure:

Zero issues here. The Thermion takes up so much rail real estate that this is the only place on a 10 inch rail for it to go. I use it for the infrequent but not unheard-of CQB hog.
View Quote

Good to know, thank you.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 12:17:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brandi] [#2]
Originally Posted By KTM300XCW:
Great looking rifles in this thread.

I am about to start my first 6.5 build and wanted to ask you guys what barrel length to go with for decent ballistics. I was thinking 16" but see many shorter barrels in here. If I go shorter than 16" how much do I give up?

Also, who are considered the top tier barrel manufacturers for the 6.5? I am willing to wait for the right barrel/bolt combo.

Also, I heard that finding reliable mags for the 6.5 is a bitch. What mags are you guys running that are reliable?

Thanks!

View Quote

Pretty much any of the high end barrel makers offer a 6.5 Grendel barrel.  Lilja seems to be a popular manufacturer but there are several more.  No matter what you choose it will likely require waiting as that's just the norm these days.

As for barrel length it depends what you plan to use it for.  The Grendel performs very well out of shorter barrels so you aren't giving up as much as you would if you were shooting something like 5.56.  If you want to hunt with it and you don't need to stretch out several hundred yards, a short barrel is very handy.

Personally, I wanted something I could hunt with and shoot at distances recreationally so I chose an 18" (Liberty barrel).  My second rifle was more geared towards long range target shooting so I went with a 20" (Faxon barrel) to squeeze a little more FPS out of it but still be easy enough to hunt with.

I've never had any reliability issues with C Products (they might be called Duramag now) or Elander magazines.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Brandi:
Pretty much any of the high end barrel makers offer a 6.5 Grendel barrel.  Lilja seems to be a popular manufacturer but there are several more.  No matter what you choose it will likely require waiting as that's just the norm these days.
View Quote

Just an FYI, I do have a few Lilja barrels left in stock (10.5, 12.5, & 16 for sure). Overruns from the last batch. IM for more info if you're interested.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Just saw PSA has their 12" pistol kit as a daily deal today....

PSA 12" stainless Grendel pistol kit
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Interesting kit!
What are the ballistics of 6.5 Grendel out of 12" barrels? I assume it is terribly loud and has a terrible flash?
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Just saw PSA has their 12" pistol kit as a daily deal today....

PSA 12" stainless Grendel pistol kit
View Quote

That is a good deal. Looks like the same upper I got on Black Friday a few years ago. Love that gun. Mine now sits on an sbr lower. I may end up taking it to Alaska for caribou.
Link Posted: 8/7/2021 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By WSAR15:
Interesting kit!
What are the ballistics of 6.5 Grendel out of 12" barrels? I assume it is terribly loud and has a terrible flash?
View Quote

You will feel it in your ears and chest but through a suppressor it is not bad at all. lol
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By subvet707:

You will feel it in your ears and chest but through a suppressor it is not bad at all. lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By subvet707:
Originally Posted By WSAR15:
Interesting kit!

I took a white tail with that upper and a Hornady SST last year.  Did well at 150 yards with my strike Eagle 1-8.  Now I have a suppressor which will be much better.  It was loud!
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#9]
No more Wolf 6.5, that is a shame.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Ya it is.  I know they made wolf gold for a while.  Luckily I stocked a thousand rounds a couple years back when AIM has them for $6 a box.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got my first 6.5 grendel, Larue 18” upper and a PWS lower. What would you guys recommend for glass? It’ll primarily be used for hunting with the occasional target practice. Price range is 1k maybe a little more for the right scope.

Thank you
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 11:08:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Both mine have Gen 2 PST's, 2-10x and 3-15x for a 12" SBR and 18".

Others prefer different scopes for that price.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Probablynotacop:
Just got my first 6.5 grendel, Larue 18” upper and a PWS lower. What would you guys recommend for glass? It’ll primarily be used for hunting with the occasional target practice. Price range is 1k maybe a little more for the right scope.

Thank you
View Quote

A good thermal for pigs and a good medium power variable for day time. Night force Vortex Leupold or other good reputable optics. I would choose 2-3X for my low range and go from there. But I hunt primarily Timber country with close range being a given.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

A good thermal for pigs and a good medium power variable for day time. Night force Vortex Leupold or other good reputable optics. I would choose 2-3X for my low range and go from there. But I hunt primarily Timber country with close range being a given.
View Quote

I'll second this.  Thermal and Grendel is an awesome combo for pigs and yotes.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I have done a couple thermal hunts and yes there is nothing that compares to it. I’ve been looking at Pulsar thermals for months but can’t seem to bring myself to spend 3-4k. I might say screw it and just buy a Trail 2. Anyone have any experience with the digital night vision? Just wondering if it’s a waste of money when I could put those funds towards a thermal.

Thank you for the replies
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 1:02:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pavelow16478] [#16]
I have done a couple thermal hunts and yes there is nothing that compares to it. I've been looking at Pulsar thermals for months but can't seem to bring myself to spend 3-4k. I might say screw it and just buy a Trail 2. Anyone have any experience with the digital night vision? Just wondering if it's a waste of money when I could put those funds towards a thermal.

View Quote

I don't use it but the guys I coyote hunt with do.  Works well, you will definitely need a big IR light to go along with it.  Paired with a handheld thermal scanner (get at least a 384 res unit) it's a deadly combo.  That setup will be cheaper than a decent thermal scope.

Scan with the handheld thermal until you see something then get on the gun and shoot.  

Like I said, the 4 guys I hunt with use that setup, I run a dedicated thermal scope.  They are all currently shopping for a thermal scope to replace their digital night vision.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I want to do some thermal /pig/Yote hunting..

Anyone help.. need to sell to get my family into a house by xmas (ducked up story) so many of ya have answered my questions along the way.

I’m unfortunately getting out of the grendel category. Have a complete mega/ba 16”/pst scope and1k rds of ammo
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

I don't use it but the guys I coyote hunt with do.  Works well, you will definitely need a big IR light to go along with it.  Paired with a handheld thermal scanner (get at least a 384 res unit) it's a deadly combo.  That setup will be cheaper than a decent thermal scope.

Scan with the handheld thermal until you see something then get on the gun and shoot.  

Like I said, the 4 guys I hunt with use that setup, I run a dedicated thermal scope.  They are all currently shopping for a thermal scope to replace their digital night vision.
View All Quotes
I have done a couple thermal hunts and yes there is nothing that compares to it. I've been looking at Pulsar thermals for months but can't seem to bring myself to spend 3-4k. I might say screw it and just buy a Trail 2. Anyone have any experience with the digital night vision? Just wondering if it's a waste of money when I could put those funds towards a thermal.

Digital is great if you have small properties and hunt feeders. I killed truck loads with my old Gen I+ NV. I want a digital for my air rifle just to shoot coons off the feeders.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok, good to know. I’d be doing more spot and stalk hunting than shooting off feeders. I guess I’ll start putting money together for a thermal.

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Ended up with a Pulsar Trail 2 XQ50. Sighted it in at 100yds at an indoor range, lighting wasn’t the greatest and am using aluminum tape. Overall I’m happy with it and hopefully will get it out in the field Friday night.

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 11:10:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pavelow16478] [#21]
Ended up with a Pulsar Trail 2 XQ50. Sighted it in at 100yds at an indoor range, lighting wasn't the greatest and am using aluminum tape. Overall I'm happy with it and hopefully will get it out in the field Friday night.

https://i.imgur.com/VNHn5Vc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/6gPOXCi.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DvT4mSf.jpg
View Quote

Looking good!  Hope to see some pics from a successful outing on Friday

I'll be hunting a coyote tourney all weekend, solid 16-20 hours of hunting between Friday and Saturday night.  Hope to put another pile in the truck with the Grendel.  Two more hunting partners have made the switch from digital night vision to thermal in the last two weeks.  Hoping to up our numbers.  Will have a 6.5G, 7.62x39, 224 Valk, and 204 Ruger this weekend.

Finally got a nice load put together for the Speer 90gr TNT, put one down this past Saturday night with it.  Looking forward to some more
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#22]

I'll be hunting a coyote tourney all weekend, solid 16-20 hours of hunting between Friday and Saturday night.  Hope to put another pile in the truck with the Grendel.  Two more hunting partners have made the switch from digital night vision to thermal in the last two weeks.  Hoping to up our numbers.  Will have a 6.5G, 7.62x39, 224 Valk, and 204 Ruger this weekend.

Finally got a nice load put together for the Speer 90gr TNT, put one down this past Saturday night with it.  Looking forward to some more
View Quote

The 90gr TNT is disastrous on coyotes.  I think you'll love it the more you use it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By MRW:
How is the ammo supply coming back after the panics?

View Quote

Not very well

Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Thanks man! Good luck to you and your buddies this weekend. I’ve been looking at tournaments but don’t have friends with thermals
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By MRW:
How is the ammo supply coming back after the panics?

View Quote

I just picked up 7 boxes of Hornady ELD Match locally today but that’s all they had, it was about $8 cheaper a box than what I’ve found online.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#27]

The 90gr TNT is disastrous on coyotes.  I think you'll love it the more you use it.
View Quote

That is my experience so far
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Thanks man! Good luck to you and your buddies this weekend. I've been looking at tournaments but don't have friends with thermals
View Quote

Thanks!  Just have them look through yours after dark, you'll have friends with thermals before you know it
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

X2! And don’t be afraid to whack a pig or three with it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#30]

X2! And don't be afraid to whack a pig or three with it.
View Quote

Have a hog hunting trip scheduled for April, they'll get some TNT love
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Alright guys, time to ask the hard question.

I have a 12.5 Noveske barrel and JP bolt waiting to be assembled into an upper. Should I scrap the plans and opt for a 12-16" 6 ARC build instead? It seems like this thread and 6.5 buzz has slowed down since the release of 6 ARC. I would like to use the pistol as LW coyote and possible whitetail setup in AZ.

Let me know what the 6.5 Grendel crowd thinks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:16:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#32]
I think it boils down whether your concerned about saving a coyote hide.  The 6 mm ARC is more fur friendly but I think the 6.5 Grendel is a better medium game cartridge out of shorter barrels.

From a 12” 6.5 Grendel the 129 grain ABLR expands down to 1300 FPS and is probably the ideal bullet for a short barrel 6.5 Grendel Hunting bullet IMHO.

There are many forum members using the 6.5 Grendel with 12-12.5” barrels and think it is an effective tool.

I have a 12” 6.5 Grendel and I think it is really a good combo with tolerable noise/blast using an A-2 FH.   The 12” is dandy with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By dash13:
Alright guys, time to ask the hard question.

I have a 12.5 Noveske barrel and JP bolt waiting to be assembled into an upper. Should I scrap the plans and opt for a 12-16" 6 ARC build instead? It seems like this thread and 6.5 buzz has slowed down since the release of 6 ARC. I would like to use the pistol as LW coyote and possible whitetail setup in AZ.

Let me know what the 6.5 Grendel crowd thinks.
View Quote

If I was going to build the 6mm arc I would want a longer barrel to squeeze range out of it. The 6.5 has a bit more mass to make up for the loss in velocity when you drop barrel length. But you can still get a 90gr bullet going good. Now if you’re after explosive results the arc can go down to the 55gr range.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By VASCAR2:
I think it boils down whether your concerned about saving a coyote hide.  The 6 mm ARC is more fur friendly but I think the 6.5 Grendel is a better medium game cartridge out of shorter barrels.

From a 12” 6.5 Grendel the 129 grain ABLR expands down to 1300 FPS and is probably the ideal bullet for a short barrel 6.5 Grendel Hunting bullet IMHO.

There are many forum members using the 6.5 Grendel with 12-12.5” barrels and think it is an effective tool.

I have a 12” 6.5 Grendel and I think it is really a good combo with tolerable noise/blast using an A-2 FH.   The 12” is dandy with a suppressor.
View Quote

Honestly, saving the hides is low on priority. I was really looking for something super handy that would also allow me to participate in HAM hunts. Its hard to decipher the 6 ARC info from what is internet hype because its new or its actually an improvement. I will say one thing, 6.5G is much more available to me locally and actually more affordable than the 6 ARC I'm seeing.

Perhaps these become two different guns down the road instead of trying to make it one.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 3:11:59 PM EDT
[#35]

If I was going to build the 6mm arc I would want a longer barrel to squeeze range out of it. The 6.5 has a bit more mass to make up for the loss in velocity when you drop barrel length. But you can still get a 90gr bullet going good. Now if you’re after explosive results the arc can go down to the 55gr range.
View Quote

I appreciate the info, its looking like the 6 ARC would be awesome in the 18" range- perhaps ill hold out, see how the 6.5G does and proceed from there. Thanks again for the info!
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I don’t think it’s hype….

Factory Hornady ammo

300yds, Starting at 28 seconds in, the 5” plate becomes closer to 2” when flipped. I caught it on the edge of the plate twice before lowering my point of aim slightly to get the target to reset.

6ARC, Craddock Precision 22” +2gas Bartlein
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
I don’t think it’s hype….

Factory Hornady ammo

300yds, Starting at 28 seconds in, the 5” plate becomes closer to 2” when flipped. I caught it on the edge of the plate twice before lowering my point of aim slightly to get the target to reset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYYfPeYpFJE
View Quote

Ok, ok, haha maybe hype wasn't the best way to put it- but I think we all know how things can get spun up on the inter webs.

That rifle is insanely accurate, that's for sure. However, much in the same way I responded to VASCAR2 earlier this week, I think I am falling in to the age old trap of trying to build the ultimate "do-all" hunting AR. So instead of doing that, I will build the 12" out with an OSS (Hux) can for pistol use and down the road consider something more along the lines of what you're running in the realm of 18-22" 6 ARC.

With that, enough 6.5G thread derailing, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Thank you all that helped out with my next build.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 5:48:07 AM EDT
[#38]
After stepping out of the 6.5G game for a couple years, I really want to dive back in.  That being said, has anyone finally made reliable magazines for this cartridge?  IIRC this was (may still be) the biggest achilles heel to the grendel. (Having to mod the mags by bending feed lips, not loading the mags to capacity, double-feeds, etc.)
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 8:16:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By AEROMechanic:
After stepping out of the 6.5G game for a couple years, I really want to dive back in.  That being said, has anyone finally made reliable magazines for this cartridge?  IIRC this was (may still be) the biggest achilles heel to the grendel. (Having to mod the mags by bending feed lips, not loading the mags to capacity, double-feeds, etc.)
View Quote

All the Grendel E-Lander mags I have work perfectly.  I know some people hate on on the company because of issues with their 5.56 mags when they first came to market, but I've not heard of any issues with their 6.5 mags.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By IamGroot:

All the Grendel E-Lander mags I have work perfectly.  I know some people hate on on the company because of issues with their 5.56 mags when they first came to market, but I've not heard of any issues with their 6.5 mags.
View Quote

That's good to know.  Thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 5:40:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FloridaMan11b] [#41]
I have some observations and questions.

This 12in suppressed 6.5 grendal from odin works is the most gas spraying beast ive ever shot even with a adjustable gas block it either functions and is spraying me in the eyes or isnt reliable.

This is with a standard carbine spring and buffer.

Should i try a t3 buffer and red spring or will it not help with gas? I dont feel like wasting more ammo to end up fooling around adjusting the gas block to end up with the same results. But i might do this anyway just to maybe get better results.

Ive tried 300sps and 762rc1 cans. Both are gas in the eyes stinging from one round depending where the lube and carbon is settled at the time I guess. It doesnt always get me but its still bad enough when it does that im making this post.

What is the best gas buster charging handle to use with this? An ambi ch would be preffered but not required for hunting. Gas busting is priority.

Eta: other than that Im happy with my 12in odin barrel. Shoots 1.5-2moa with factory hornady sst and nosler ABLR ammo.
Using a sig romeo 5 with eotech g45 behind it.

Good enough for deer out to 200yd imo.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Sounds like your adjustable gas block isn’t adjusting, or the adjustments aren’t fine enough?

Easy fix would be to try some restricted gas tubes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 11:37:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By roscott:
Sounds like your adjustable gas block isn’t adjusting, or the adjustments aren’t fine enough?

Easy fix would be to try some restricted gas tubes.
View Quote

I agree with maybe a gas compensating bolt. Or just go the Gas piston route. https://bootleginc.com/product/full-auto-adjustable-carrier/
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 7:58:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FloridaMan11b] [#44]

I agree with maybe a gas compensating bolt. Or just go the Gas piston route. https://bootleginc.com/product/full-auto-adjustable-carrier/
View Quote

These boot leg carriers say recommended for .223/5.56 only. Does anyone have experience using a 6.5 grendal bolt inside of one?

How fine should I be tuning my adjustable gas block? 1/8 turn at a time? I was doing 1/4 turn at a time.
Do I need to put the set screw back each time? Thats what I have been doing. Or can I shoot with the set screw out? This is my first time using a adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By FloridaMan11b:

These boot leg carriers say recommended for .223/5.56 only. Does anyone have experience using a 6.5 grendal bolt inside of one?

How fine should I be tuning my adjustable gas block? 1/8 turn at a time? I was doing 1/4 turn at a time.
Do I need to put the set screw back each time? Thats what I have been doing. Or can I shoot with the set screw out? This is my first time using a adjustable gas block.
View Quote

I run a JP bolt in a Bootleg adjustable carrier in my Grendel and it runs flawlessly.  Been very happy with that combo.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

I can’t answer the bootleg carrier question. But I run a discontinued Alexander arm’s gas block. I had to adjust it then remove two weights from my rifle length buffer. Then I placed a ten pound spring inside my buffer to keep it quiet while hunting. But I wasn’t getting quite enough gas. My other Grendel has an Adams Arms Gas Piston system that I love. My cases are clean the only draw back is you don’t grab the end of the hand guard.

I built a 12” Grendel pistol for a buddy using the Seekins click adjustable gas block and it was sweet.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 9:46:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FloridaMan11b] [#47]

I run a JP bolt in a Bootleg adjustable carrier in my Grendel and it runs flawlessly.  Been very happy with that combo.
View Quote

Was looking at ordering this combo right before you posted so I did it.

If im lucky i will get another .5 moa out of that jp bolt and have a 1moa 12in grendal

1.5-2moa is still fine though.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

You should easily be able to discern the 12 clock positions when adjusting a screw.  Get a long handle Allen key to gauge the swing of a longer arm.  You need to use the locking screw every time to tension/take out any lash in the adjusting screw. You may find as the locking set screw torques up that it turns the throttle screw just a bit. Once you get it set leave it alone.  If you uncap it to, for instance, apply thread locker to the lock screw, it might tighten down further on the throttle screw.

Fixing gas to face is best done in order of gas port tuning, sealing leak points, adding mass. You may find you need to readjust gas port tuning by adding mass.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 1:53:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FloridaMan11b] [#49]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:

You should easily be able to discern the 12 clock positions when adjusting a screw.  Get a long handle Allen key to gauge the swing of a longer arm.  You need to use the locking screw every time to tension/take out any lash in the adjusting screw. You may find as the locking set screw torques up that it turns the throttle screw just a bit. Once you get it set leave it alone.  If you uncap it to, for instance, apply thread locker to the lock screw, it might tighten down further on the throttle screw.

Fixing gas to face is best done in order of gas port tuning, sealing leak points, adding mass. You may find you need to readjust gas port tuning by adding mass.
View Quote

I couldnt feel anything like that on the odin works adj gb that came with the barrel.It just felt like turning a screw. I think im at 3 or so turns out from fully closed.

I just got the bootleg carrier and jp bolt. Jp bolt didnt come with a extractor spring o ring so im using the one the odin bcg came with.

About to go test this out using standard carbine spring, t2 buffer and the gas block settings i had functioning before.

I will probably have to just add riflespeed gas block one day so i dont have to worry about the screw coming loose. Not sure id want to use high temp red on something like that. Anything else would melt fast.

Eta:
Shoots great now after i went another 3/4 turn out on the gas block and set the bootleg carrier to setting 4
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 12:06:58 AM EDT
[#50]
I didn’t realize you were working with both adjustable gas block and adjustable (venting) bolt carrier.  There are probably several tuning sweet spots between those two adjustment points. Glad you hit upon one that works.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top