Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2018 5:37:19 AM EDT
Fighting the urge to do the old Arfcom "Get both", but is there really one caliber that outshines the other? 224 is the new kid on the block and getting heaps of praise online, but prior to that 6.5 Creedmoor was king for awhile there. I'm wanting to get into longer range shooting, out to 1000 yards or more. I've done quite a bit at 6-800 with a Ruger Precision in .308, but these new wonder cartridges are making me want a semi platform with more long range oriented rounds to take out a bit further. Any thoughts or suggestions? Appreciate it!
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:24:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Completely different cartridges, one is an AR15 sized and one is an AR10 sized.

That being said, definitely go with the Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#2]
CM hands down.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Demphna2:
CM hands down.
View Quote
This.

You could always rebarrel the RPR you've been shooting.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#4]
How much shooting will be beyond 1000 yards, and how serious are you about hit ratio at that distance?

That would be the deciding factor for me.

The Valkyrie will do 1000+ and inside of 1000 performs phenomenally but the 6.5 creed is going to do 1000+ better and still perform a tick better inside of a grand. The comparisons between the cartridge are all using the 130gr Berger load which in that case yes, the Valkyrie does basically match it. The creedmoor can easily push the heavier high BC bullets though, it doesn't suffer that issue like the grendel.

Comparing a serious bullet like the 147gr ELD with a .697 G1 BC it out performs the Valkyrie with the 90gr SMK, 88gr ELD-M, and even the 95gr SMK by a fair margin. Nowhere near how a Valkyrie out performs a 223 at mag length with the typical 77gr stuff, but you still get a performance increase. A 22-24" 6.5 creed gas gun gun should have no problem pushing those bullets to 2600. 2650-2700 is doable with the 140's with mild pressure.

One big difference between the Creedmoor and Valkyrie is the increased splash at distance, whether they're misses or hits you simply get more splash from the creed. I've ran my Valkyrie all the way to 1350 yards and I had no problem self spotting hits and misses with the factory 90gr though. Glass quality has a lot to do with being able to spot splash at distance though, especially when you throw in some good mirage.

The big advantage to the Valkyrie though is the smaller lighter rifle that also has less recoil. A typical LR style creed with a good brake or suppressor doesn't recoil badly, but it is enough to push you off target and you're pretty likely to lose the target in FOV in positions other than prone. The Valkyrie stays on target or at least keeps the target within FOV off less stable positions. Barricades the Valkyrie stays on target. This is the main reason I love the Valkyrie.

I suppose you could argue an ammo cost advantage but it kinda goes both ways. Valkyrie currently only has two match options which you can get the Federal for $1.05/round on the low end shipped to your door and the new Hornady 88gr for $.94/round + shipping on pre order from Midsouth. You can get the American Eagle for $.45/round which actually performs phenomenally for FMJ blasting ammo. I'm seeing SD's below 10 consistently with my most recent lot and accuracy better than 3/4 MOA which is better than standard from most factory match ammo. It also has a very good BC for a 75gr bullet which is about a .400-.410 G1. The Creedmoor doesn't have ammo quite so cheap but you can get the American Gunner 140gr BTHP for under $.70/round delivered which has been great ammo in all my creedmoors. The Hornady match ammo is going to run you a bit more though, I can usually find 147gr ELD-M for about $1.10 delivered.

If you reload it's a little cheaper the load Valkyrie but not significantly. Comparing Starline brass which is great brass for both the Valkyrie brass is .$.07/piece less expensive which buying by the 1000 and comparable bullets are about the same. The Creedmoor uses half again more powder as well. Calling it $.20-$.25/round more for the Creedmoor does add up but personally that wouldn't be my deciding factor when choosing a LR rifle, it wouldn't even be a consideration, it's not like we're talking about shooting a 375 Cheytac with 125gr of power and $5/piece solid projectiles.

Barrel life is pretty much going to be a wash as well, they're really going to come down to how you shoot them but the Valkyrie may have a slight advantage.

I'd take all of that into consideration and make the decision for yourself, not somebody else recommendation who may have different requirements than yours. I'd also be asking myself why a 6.5 Creedmoor gas gun, personally I prefer them in a bolt gun, but that's my uses. You may want to consider a good 6.5 Creedmoor barrel from someone like PVA for your RPR and building a Valkyrie AR.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:22:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jormungandr] [#5]
Creedmoor

Valkyrie fails to impress me in almost every way. I will probably get one though because I have an extra 22 cal can with nothing to put it on.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#6]
224 Valk is still too new for me to get into.  I don't usually care to be an early adopter.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 1:55:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotigers] [#7]
I went with 224v. I am an ar15 guy. I know them like the back of my hand. I tried bigger bore bolt actions and had fun, but I like being able to do all my own smith work. I really like the idea of an ar15 going 1000-1200 yards. Same with AR10's. Too many different proprietary systems and heavy.

Weight is another issue. My 224v AR is 10lbs with a 20" heavy barrel and a sightron s-3 6-24x50. If I put the 224v upper on my lightweight 3 gun lower, it is 9lbs. Not bad for an AR that can shoot like that. During a match with 100 deg and 100% hum weather, I don't want to carry any extra weight.

I thought hard about a 6.5G, but the ballistics of the 224v were just too attractive. This will be a paper and steel shooter only, so I care less about the extra energy. Bullet BC, home smithing and weight meant more to me.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 2:33:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#8]
Originally Posted By BoxofRox:
Completely different cartridges, one is an AR15 sized and one is an AR10 sized.

That being said, definitely go with the Creedmoor.
View Quote
That's my view.  I know the 224 Valk is all the hot talk now, but to me it's basically a .223 magnum.  It's still a .223 bullet.  It's like .22 Magnum compared to .22 LR.  It's flatter, and harder hitting, but it's basically doing the same job.   I don't view .224 as really changing catagory much.    I just view it as a much more expensive and exotic flavor of .223, that does everything .223 does - better; but why?  .223 is a great round - for what it is.  Being a better .22 cal round, is still a .22 cal round.

Where 6.5CM is the next class up.  I view 6.5CM as a .308 class round, with better performance and less recoil than .308, and the ass to not only go far better, but to also hit and actually do things out there.  It satisfy all roles for accuracy, flat trajectory, power, hunting, etc usage that .308 serves, and that a .223 bullet just doesn't serve.  So sure, .224 Valk is up there in a far better deer round or PRS round than .223 for example, but in the end, it's a 90 gr .22 bullet.  It's just not going to have the ass that a 6.5 CM has; yet has all the trade-off's of being a non-standard exotic.

My opinion, stick with .223; and go 6.5 CM for when you need something better, and really have something better!  Just my opinion - it's OK to like stuff I don't like.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:15:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

That's my view.  I know the 224 Valk is all the hot talk now, but to me it's basically a .223 magnum.  It's still a .223 bullet.  It's like .22 Magnum compared to .22 LR.  It's flatter, and harder hitting, but it's basically doing the same job.   I don't view .224 as really changing catagory much.    I just view it as a much more expensive and exotic flavor of .223, that does everything .223 does - better; but why?  .223 is a great round - for what it is.  Being a better .22 cal round, is still a .22 cal round.
View Quote
Valkyrie isn't a 223 magnum, the case capacity is only very marginally increased, it's basically the same in that regard. The point of the Valkyrie and why it's not a glorified 223 is that it's shorter with the same case capacity which allows you to shoot the longer high BC projectiles at AR mag length that you can't shoot in 223 without single feeding. That's where the Valkyrie shines, it kicks the 223's ass as a long range and even mid range round.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Jormungandr:
Creedmoor

Valkyrie fails to impress me in almost every way. I will probably get one though because I have an extra 22 cal can with nothing to put it on.
View Quote
This is my reasoning as well.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#11]
If your goal is for whatever you are shoot at to die, Creedmoor is the obvious choice.  Unless you are shooting varmints or something.  A 140gr. bullet from a 6.5 Creedmoor packs a lot of punch way out there.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By GSPatton:
If your goal is for whatever you are shoot at to die, Creedmoor is the obvious choice.  Unless you are shooting varmints or something.  A 140gr. bullet from a 6.5 Creedmoor packs a lot of punch way out there.
View Quote
Agreed
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#13]
260 Rem and 22 Nosler
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#14]
If you are building a 6.5 Creedmoor AR10, I suggest you look at Falkor Defense's Dracos barrels:

https://www.dracosbarrels.com/

It comes in my Omega.

Cannot say anything less than "perfect."
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By CFLeffen:
If you are building a 6.5 Creedmoor AR10, I suggest you look at Falkor Defense's Dracos barrels:

https://www.dracosbarrels.com/

It comes in my Omega.

Cannot say anything less than "perfect."
View Quote
Someone could build a complete upper WITH OPTICS for the damn-near-thousand-dollar price tag of those barrels.  What do they do that a Criterion won't?
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:

Someone could build a complete upper WITH OPTICS for the damn-near-thousand-dollar price tag of those barrels.  What do they do that a Criterion won't?
View Quote
Yes wow.  For 2-4 times the price of a sub-MOA other options, that's just never going to fly.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:04:55 PM EDT
[#18]
These are two completely different classes of cartridges. If you’re looking for the better long range cartridge, especially if you care to potentially kill things, you want the 6.5C. If you’re trying to make a smaller package, or working off a small-frame AR, then by all means go .224V. I’d be iffy about being an early adopter though, the round has promise but I think it’s still got a bit to mature. I’m just now really getting into 6.5G.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:05:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By m6z:
This.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m6z:
Originally Posted By Demphna2:
CM hands down.
This.

Was going to recommend this, you’re already most of the way to owning a 6.5C, and could recoup a lot of the cost by selling the pulled .308 barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top