Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2021 11:22:17 AM EDT
I recently built my first ar15, mostly Aero parts with an 18 inch 223 Wylde Faxon match grade barrel. I'm a new shooter and want to slowly get into some long range shooting.
I'm currently shooting 223 55g frontier FMJ since it's cheap but I got good enough to definitely know that I'm outshooting my ammo at 100 yards.
At my range I have to qualify at 300 to shoot beyond so that will be my next step on my journey.
Can I please get some recommendations for some affordable ammo that may match well with my setup. I would love to practice at a 100 with ammo I know I can't outshoot. My setup and typical 100yard group
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I just joined a range in July where I had to qualify on all 3 ranges. I ran Ameican Eagle 55gr fmj through an off the shelf SW MP 15 with a drop in trigger. As long as the winds not gusting 300yrd is pretty easy depending on what the criteria is.

What target/steel size are we talking here? Ours was a 8" plate. 5 consecutive hits. No drops allowed. This was right after the 100yrd so you had to know your bullet drops or holdover.

Grab a few different boxes and see what shoots better.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#2]
All things considered, you're doing pretty well.

I'd suggest a higher power scope to shoot longer range.

As for ammo, you're really going to have to try different brands/weights to see what your barrel likes best.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 9:25:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#3]
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 3:43:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#4]
OP, you've probably maxed out the accuracy of that FMJ ammo.  Good shooting.  Try some match ammo (good recommendations listed above) and maybe consider that higher powered scope I see up on the shelf above your rifle.

Another thing you can do is improve your trigger.  A lighter (but still safe) trigger will reduce one variable.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 11:23:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Grab some 69 grain Federal Gold Medal Match, that stuff shoot excellent in every rifle I've ever tried it in.

Or, start reloading. Sub-MOA handloads are easy to work up.

I'd say you're certainly limited by your ammo right now, that's excellent grouping for bulk FMJ ammo, especially with an LPVO.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 6:49:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#6]
If you shoot at ASC in Houston... the 300 yard range is actually 315-320 yards. The left side of theine is closer. The 300 yard qual target is 6". I would suggest 77 grain Federal Gold Medal match. Your current ammo will open up MORE than 3x the current group size and you must place 5 consecutive shots in the 6" circle at 320ish yards. Wind shifts are the biggest issue at that range and 6x is VERY hard at 320. At 420+ you would only be hitting the full size steel regularly, not the small gongs, and the 600 yard targets would just frustrate you.

For example, I use a Lealupold Mark5 3.6-18× at those distances. I also use 77grain SMK and TMK ammo due to wind being the bigger issue over velocity. 77 GMM is SLOW but accurate. At least it will get you qualified.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 7:41:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Federal Gold Medal Match and Norma Match are both excellent options.

I've had fairly good success from the ADI 55gr with one of my bolt guns.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#8]
If you truly enjoy shooting groups, I suggest biting the bullet and start reloading. It’s not the best time, but as long as you can get your hands on primers, the other components are out there.

When I was in your position I bought the smallest box of each ammo I could find and tested them. I think I had the best luck with PMC and Fiochi 55gr.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cmcque:
If you truly enjoy shooting groups, I suggest biting the bullet and start reloading. It’s not the best time, but as long as you can get your hands on primers, the other components are out there.

When I was in your position I bought the smallest box of each ammo I could find and tested them. I think I had the best luck with PMC and Fiochi 55gr.
View Quote

This.  

And for what its worth in my Savage bolt gun I tried the various Frontier offerings, the PMC stuff, a few different Federal/American Eagle loads... and 2moa was my best group.  

After settign up 20 different loads (2 bullets, two powders, 5 different amounts of powder) and shooting groups at 100 yards not one of the loads was more than 1.5moa and I have several loads that shoot sub-moa.  Using about 40 cents worth of components at todays pricing.  Doing batch processing on my single stage press I can crank out 100-150 rounds per hour per step (resize and deprime, measure a few trim batch if needed and then tumble, prime, charge powder and seat bullet) so I usually have a few hundred rounds on hand or a few hundred primed and ready to load cases.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top