Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2018 7:59:08 AM EDT
Folks I posted this question in another forum but looking for more information on subject. I’ve recently been looking into bullet weight vs barrel twist relationship. I shoot a Remington 700 ADL 308cal with 20 in 1:10 twist barrel for hunting deer. Grew up hunting mainly with Remington 150 gr corelok. However with time/age/money started looking at other options of brand/bullet/weight/etc for better accuracy out to 200-300yds. Now getting into reloading and looking to see what bullets to load for best accuracy for hunting. Figured I’d shoot box ammo first to get idea of what works best in my gun before reloading for better consistency.  Started doing research on subject and most of what I read seemed to favor 165-168gr bullets. Recently got into the subject of barrel twist to bullet weight relationship. Most of what I’ve read states for 308 cal 1:10 twist optimum bullet weights of 170-220gr. However very few hunting rounds for 308 cal come in a bullet weight higher than 168 gr? Is there a reason for this? most all articles also stated shooting lighter bullets would be just find too. Conflict is why articles say “best weight for twist” then tell you to shoot a lighter bullet? I’m sure I’m way overthinking this but just trying to get the math/science straight for “best weight bullet for gun” so I can focus on the human part of shooting. Thanks
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:31:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#1]
Read this.  Watch this.

"Optimal" spin refers to the idea that you CAN get too much of a good thing.  Spin is necessary to stabilize the bullet in flight but too much spin (too fast) can have a detrimental effect on accuracy in some cases.  If you are using quality bullets, the difference between the 10 twist and the 12 twist barrel (all other things being equal) would be imperceptible to the average (and probably above average) shooter.

Think of having a 10 twist barrel as giving you a wider range of bullet weight options.

In terms of which bullet is best for your application, consider the maximum range you will be hunting at and then select a bullet weight that will give you the velocity necessary for good terminal performance at that distance.  This may not be as easy to predict as you might think.  Heavier bullets leave your barrel at a slower velocity but retain that velocity better than lighter bullets.  As an example, in my 308 - my 150 grain load has an MV of about 2800 fps, the 168 grain is about 2700 fps, and the 180 grain is about 2620 fps.  The range where they slow down to 1,800 fps is ~470 yards for the 150, ~550 yards for the 168, and ~590 yards for the 180.

If multiple bullets will give you the velocity/performance you want at your intended range, choose the one that shoots better.  If there is no winner in the "shoots better" category, choose the one that costs less!
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#2]
There are many heavy for weight hunting bullets for 308...including hornaday berger, barnes , just to name a few...I shoot a 300rum and load the 230 berger hybrid target for long range hunting(my moose this year was at 720 yards)... I have used 200 grain barnes ttsx, 180 grain swift sciroccos, 180 grain nosler partitions and several others in the same rifle out to 600 yards or so..1:10 will handle every bullet I listed, my 300rum with the 230's now wears a 1:9 twist, but I have shot it out to 2000 yards so far...
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:59:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#3]
You're going to get the same answers as the other thread.

Longer bullets require a faster twist.

Faster twists exaggerate the effects of imperfectly balanced bullets. This could possibly make for larger groups.

Longer bullets generally have higher BC this means they retain velocity better which is better for long range shooting.

Longer bullets generally weigh more.

Heavier bullets may require higher terminal velocity to expand properly(velocity you may not get from a .308)

Heavier bullets are generally slower causing a more curved trajectory due to extended flight time.

More curved the trajectory is the more accurate your ranging has to be to hit the target.

Accurate ranging is going to be more difficult while hunting.

Use a lighter, faster, flatter trajectory bullet in your .308 for hunting.

If you are hunting longer ranges you will need a heavier bullet(higher BC) so it retains it's  velocity and still has enough energy, but then you have to deal with less room for error on distance and velocity and the possibility that the bullet doesn't perform.

At which point it's probably best to move to a more powerful cartridge.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank all for the information on the matter. I’m sure I’m just getting wrapped around seeing numbers (308 cal/1:10 twist= 170-220gr bullet) but same articles saying shooting lighter loads “ok”. Also find it funny that articles promoting lighter hunting rounds but then promote 168-178gr match bullets for target shooting. Anyway thank you for the comments I’ll see what I end up shooting/reloading for best accuracy and hunting l!
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JPHobbit72:
Thank all for the information on the matter. I'm sure I'm just getting wrapped around seeing numbers (308 cal/1:10 twist= 170-220gr bullet) but same articles saying shooting lighter loads "ok". Also find it funny that articles promoting lighter hunting rounds but then promote 168-178gr match bullets for target shooting. Anyway thank you for the comments I'll see what I end up shooting/reloading for best accuracy and hunting l!
View Quote
I use pretty much the highest BC bullets(heaviest usually) that my barrel twist will allow for long range target shooting.

The heavies retain their supersonic velocity the farthest and resist wind the best compared to what I can get from lighter choices. The heavies also "clang" steel better for very satisfying feedback.

I don't need to make a clean kill shot. I don't care about terminal performance. I don't care about drop because it is predictable, and given time, I can adjust for it.

Hunting and target shooting are not very similar. The best choice in bullet for each activity is going to be different. That is why you see different suggestions for each activity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top