Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2018 8:12:38 PM EDT
Wanting a 24in+ grendel barrel. Anyone know where to look.

Any suggestions.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Google
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:25:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#2]
Alexander Arms
Lilja
Precision Firearms
Shilen
J&T Distributing/Double Star
Rainier
JSE Surplus
Xcaliber
Satern cut rifled
Brownell’s
Midway USA
Bear Creek Arsenal
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:35:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#3]
Depends on what you need but I am happy with my Brownells 24".

I only shoot handloads so YMMV, but it shoots all the bullets I have tried(90tnt, 130AR, 140RDF, 140CC, 140Hyb,147eldm) at or under 1moa with little effort accept for the 150gr SMK.

140CC 15 shot
Attachment Attached File

90TNT 10shot
Attachment Attached File

130 HybAR 10 shot
Attachment Attached File

147eldm 8 shot
Attachment Attached File

140Hyb 20 shot
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a budget barrel to get into the caliber. Hoped to get lucky but I figured I probably wouldn't see accuracy like I wanted ,  but hopefully useable.

So i assembled the upper and shot hornady black.  3 in groups.

Loaded  107 smk ladder with xbr-8208  , difficult to read because random impacts.

same with 123 smk and 8208.   There is still after 100 rounds down the barrel a bur at the gas hole that I suspect is causing a problem.

Trying to sight in to do a ladder test had me questioning the NF nxs .

Ladder squares 2 in apart shooting 2 shots each in 3 inch group gun.

Looking at a target like that will have you question everything.

The upper has been apart and reassembled, no muzzle break,gas off shot single shot and from mag. Bench and bags.

Checked the scope on another rifle , z-max load shot 7 under an inch and at 200 yds 5 under an inch.

While I know it will hold zero , I need to box test it now.

Picked up a box of 120 gr prohunters to try.

After I shoot the ladders with both xbr-8028 and ar-comp  I'll probably have had enough If accuracy doesn't improve and i'll try a better known barrel.
So saving my pennies and wondering what wish book to look at.

Thanks popn,  I would be OK with what you have. But I spent almost 150 dollars less than you and wonder at what point should I say I got my monies worth.

This being my first experience with bump,bushing and expander dies I was really hoping for better.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:46:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#5]
Originally Posted By smashedminer:
Wanting a 24in+ grendel barrel. Anyone know where to look.

Any suggestions.
View Quote
Lilja.

http://riflebarrels.com/product-category/drop-in-barrels/ar/ar15/65-grendel/

If my .223 barrel from them is representative, expect sub 1/2 MOA with match grade laddered handloads.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 12:51:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I bought a budget barrel to get into the caliber. Hoped to get lucky but I figured I probably wouldn't see accuracy like I wanted ,  but hopefully useable.

Loaded  107 smk ladder with xbr-8208  , difficult to read because random impacts.

same with 123 smk and 8208.   There is still after 100 rounds down the barrel a bur at the gas hole that I suspect is causing a problem.

The upper has been apart and reassembled, no muzzle break,gas off shot single shot and from mag. Bench and bags.

Checked the scope on another rifle , z-max load shot 7 under an inch and at 200 yds 5 under an inch.

After I shoot the ladders with both xbr-8028 and ar-comp  I'll probably have had enough If accuracy doesn't improve and i'll try a better known barrel.

Thanks popn,  I would be OK with what you have. But I spent almost 150 dollars less than you and wonder at what point should I say I got my monies worth.

This being my first experience with bump,bushing and expander dies I was really hoping for better.
View Quote
I wouldn't expect much of anything from a $150 barrel(I paid $300 for the Brownells bbl at the time).
Now, do you spend $300 for a slightly better budget barrel or just go for known quality at $500?

The $300~ brownells barrel you get might be crap as well.

Not that you should go buy any but I use W748 for all but two of my rifle loads(90smk in .223, 230otm in .308 W760 for those).

If it makes you feel any better here is my 150SMK load lol
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 11:08:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MS556:

Lilja.

If my .223 barrel from them is representative, expect sub 1/2 MOA with match grade laddered handloads.
View Quote
My 18" AR319 from Lilja was really impressive once I found a load it likes. Seems to like the American Gunner ammo too.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote
How much money have you spent on all of this, and would you agree the barrel was probably the lowest cost item in all of that shooting, driving to the range, time, etc.?

This is why I tell people that the most affordable barrel they will ever buy if they want accuracy is something premium.

I know right now if I order a barrel from PF or Lilja what I'm going to get, and what kind of CS I'll get if I need to use it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By maxxmojo:
My 18" AR319 from Lilja was really impressive once I found a load it likes. Seems to like the American Gunner ammo too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By maxxmojo:
Originally Posted By MS556:

Lilja.

I haven't found a load than any of the Lilja barrels I've ordered didn't like.

316 Wasp
318 Wasp
319 Fluted (multiple samples)
AR740 20" (multiple samples)

Same for Precision Firearms Bartlein, Criterion, and Lilja barrels I've ordered or tested from them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Well my new grendel build is done. Test fired.hornady black.  Seemed ok.

Then I started measuring for the 3 bullets I have to hand load.
Using my own fired round I threaded.  Using the hornady tool I found the cartridge overall length with bullets just hitting the lands.

107 gr smk. 2.192

123 gr smk. 2.197

120 gr pro h 2.048

After I saw the numbers. I pushed a h black case in with a dowel .  Close look of the bullet,  I can see a mark all the way around the bullet. Slide Mark's about  .003" long.

I don't have the 6.5 bullet comparator tool for this caliber yet.

Any ideas ?  Thoughts  ?
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't do it is my suggestion. A 20" barrel is plenty long for 6.5 Grendel and you only lose 100 fps over a 24". You gain a lot in maneuverability and handling characteristics.

I have an 18" and a 24" and I'm going to have the 24" shortened by ADCO to 20". Currently the 18" barrel's groups are have the size of the 24". The 24" is a 1/9 twist which probably doesn't help matters.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#12]
BTW - My best groups have consistently been from Lapua's 100 grain Scenar, their 108 grain Scenar and Sierra's 107 Match Kings. These are excellent bullets and can be driven considerably faster than 120/123 grain types.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
Don't do it is my suggestion. A 20" barrel is plenty long for 6.5 Grendel and you only lose 100 fps over a 24". You gain a lot in maneuverability and handling characteristics.

I have an 18" and a 24" and I'm going to have the 24" shortened by ADCO to 20". Currently the 18" barrel's groups are have the size of the 24". The 24" is a 1/9 twist which probably doesn't help matters.
View Quote
 To late.

24IN 1/8  12shot avg hor. Black. 2569 fps. New barrel

Look at the c.o.l numbers I measured.  Is this barrel in speck is what I wonder about.

Do you see where these bullets lengths would be jammed if I loaded to Sierra recommended length.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top