Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2019 12:36:23 PM EDT
I have a Savage Axis 2 to 3 bolt action 22 inch rifle with a 1 in 9 twist. I purchase some Hornady 75 grain ELD match bullets without knowing they needed to be seated at 2.390. Would these be safe to shoot in the bolt action you think even though it comes under two to three service action loads I do not know if it would be safe or not. Thanks for your opinion.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, Except you need to measure your OAL. You can probably seat them even longer than that.  My ELD loads are about 2.46 in my bolt gun. You may run into issues with your barrel twist though.  1:9" might not stabilize them.

Bolt guns can add a lot of performance to 223.  My 75 ELD load runs 3000 fps.
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Those will tumble.

Even if it measured slightly faster than 1:9 and made round holes, you're losing over 10% of the B.C.

The 75gr BTHP should work fine, but I'd measure the true twist.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 12:54:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
Yes, Except you need to measure your OAL. You can probably seat them even longer than that.  My ELD loads are about 2.46 in my bolt gun. You may run into issues with your barrel twist though.  1:9" might not stabilize them.

Bolt guns can add a lot of performance to 223.  My 75 ELD load runs 3000 fps.
View Quote
TeeRex, could you state what barrel length you have on your bolt .223?...and could you share the powder and load?

I'm using a 24", 1:8, bull barrel AR that operates with a side charger and the gas closed, so it' basically a bolt gun for all practical purposes.  I'm using those 75g ELD's, single loaded with very good results.

I'm running 24.6g of R15 with my COAL at 2.529 at .010" off the lands.  I've tried some other combos, but this setup has been the best.

I'm only getting about 2800 fps.  I know bolt rifles normally attain more velocity for the same barrel length as compared to gas, semiautos, but since I'm single loading with the gas closed, I expected more velocity with my barrel length.  Just curious to compare to your 3000 fps.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARTNC10:

TeeRex, could you state what barrel length you have on your bolt .223?...and could you share the powder and load?

I'm using a 24", 1:8, bull barrel AR that operates with a side charger and the gas closed, so it' basically a bolt gun for all practical purposes.  I'm using those 75g ELD's, single loaded with very good results.

I'm running 24.6g of R15 with my COAL at 2.529 at .010" off the lands.  I've tried some other combos, but this setup has been the best.

I'm only getting about 2800 fps.  I know bolt rifles normally attain more velocity for the same barrel length as compared to gas, semiautos, but since I'm single loading with the gas closed, I expected more velocity with my barrel length.  Just curious to compare to your 3000 fps.
View Quote
I'm running a 21" 7.7 Bartlein. and XBR 8208.  I'd start at 23.5 and work up.  I've used Win, Lapua and Starline Brass.  I actually have room to go, but stop to be legal for PRS tac class.  It's not by any means a hot load in my rifle.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Your chamber may be a true .223 SAAMI, if so, you won't get anywhere close to 2.370" before jamming into the rifling.

Hornady makes the Lock-N-Load modified case and gage that allows you to establish 'just touching" with any bullet.

I would jump them at least .020" to start.

1/9 twist barrels are not supposed to stabilize anything bigger than 69 grains reliably. Some will, some don't. Until you try them you won't know.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 6:46:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#6]
JBM's bullet length library has the Hornady 75gr ELD-M at 1.12".

The 68gr and 75gr BTHP are 0.98", which is marginal in a true 1:9.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 6:34:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a Mossberg MVP Varmint, 24” 1:9 medcon barrel.  That thing LOVED 52gr SMKs, & 53/55/60gr VMax bullets

I loaded them all over Reloder10x.  They were extremely fun to shoot....wish I hadn’t sold the rifle

It would shoot 69gr SMKs decently but
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top