Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2022 1:42:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vengerberg]
I'm looking for a high end go-to-war, do-everything upper (or barrel, though a complete upper is preferred). My ammo pile consists of IMI 77 grain razor cores, so something that likes those would be ideal. Higher cost is fine, but I'm not interested in paying simply for a brand name. I'm looking for a high performance work-horse, not a contestant for a beauty pageant, or something to wow the bros.

Specific criteria:
  • Needs to be a 1 MOA shooter, or better.

• Needs to be on the lighter, or at least standard, end of the weight scale

• 11.5" length

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:59:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Colt 11.5, A1 upper, A2 handguards, that does 1 moa with BH 77, at 25M.

Based on 5 round group zero groups being a pencil size hole each time I made adjustments.

YMMV.  But I think now, that may be 1.2 moa based on how big a pencil is.

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:13:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#2]
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:25:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Battle rifle and precision rifle are generally two different rifles.

That said (again as I already said it in) this train wreck thread where we purse swing over discuss the obvious choices.
View Quote

So, Geissele?
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Centurion might be worth looking at.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 4:53:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gtsteve03] [#5]
BCM ELW 11.5. Can shoot MOA and it’s not heavy. Granted this was with a 14.5 but should be similar.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Bravo-Company-14-5-ELW-Accuracy-A-Quick-Look/118-761690/
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:32:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vengerberg] [#7]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:

I have a few of both...the LaRues are for taking to the range and benching them; the Gs are for everything else.
View Quote

Ok, I got one of their 11.5 URGI near clone uppers. We'll see how it does.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By gtsteve03:
BCM ELW 11.5. Can shoot MOA and it’s not heavy. Granted this was with a 14.5 but should be similar.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Bravo-Company-14-5-ELW-Accuracy-A-Quick-Look/118-761690/
View Quote

I already have one of their ELW uppers in 11.5. I'll compare it to the Geissele when I head to the range.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 5:33:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#9]
Having owned and built multiple BCM ELW barreled uppers and having built Criterion pencil barreled uppers I would not go there if sub MOA is a NECESSITY.

If sub MOA desired, but sub1.5 MOA is nice enough, and you want super durability I would go DD CHF 11.5" govt. profile barrel.

If you want guaranteed true sub MOA performance I would go with a custom stainless barrel, because you can't guarantee consistent sub MOA performance with a standard barrel, it is all luck of the draw otherwise and then you have to temper barrel profile and material to get as much durability and heat resistance/cooling as possible.

I would go with a Bartlein blank with 400MOD BB barrel material, which has double the life of standard stainless material and get a profile under the barrel of .775" fluted, a 0.750" gas block, and 0.73" fluted forward of gas block profile, with a 5/8 × 24 threading to use .308 muzzle devices to keep as much meat on the muzzle as possible and have Compass Lake Engineering profile your blank. The majority of cost and wait will be for the single cut blank from Bartlein.

I would have a 26" long 1-1.5"  straight blank cut in half to make two identical 11.5" barrels. Use a .233 Wylde chamber headspaced to a JP bolt for 5.56 pressure ammo to work out of the box. Use the twist, rifling, and gas port of your choice, but I reccomend a gas block journal the right length for your preferred gas block and a 1/7 5R twist rifling.

That would be the lightest and most accurate barrel possible that was at least more durable than standard stainless. And you would have a backup barrel for when you burn the first one up.

You should achieve a REAL sub MOA performance ALL the time and not just one lucky 1.00" or less 5 shot group per range trip. There is a big difference in an over 1.047" group at 100 yards being an extreme oddity 9 out of 10 times that usually shoots .75" or less and a barrel that let's you put up one Instagram worthy "sub MOA" photo per range trip to "prove" capability. Which do you need?
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Approach this the same way you would if it were a 18 or 22in rifle. All your is usual suspects would be at play as far as brands etc.   The first thing that comes to mind is calling Compass Lake and getting a Douglas spun up with a wylde chamber.
If White Oak does 11.5s or custom orders that’s another good option.  
I’m sure there are many lesser barrels that would accomplish your goals but it’s always hit or miss with lower and middle tier barrels.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Rainier arms is a good option in the sub 300$ range. I’ve yet to test their sub 14.5” barrels, but I’ve got a 12” 6arc scheduled to arrive this week for test/evaluation.

I do know their spec’d 223 Wylde chamber does well with the IMI ammo. I’ve managed sub 3/4moa groups with their match and Ultramatch 18” barrels with that ammo in 5x5 testing.

If you can go 450-650$, CE/WOP are great options for a Bartlein/Krieger.

Craddock precision also has some great Bartlein barrels, one of their signature barrels is sub 14.5” iirc.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:37:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StevethePirate] [#12]
If you can accept another inch, Centurion CHF 12.5" barrels are known to be very accurate.  Mine is capable of shooting 1MOA 5 shot groups with 75gr American Eagle FMJ.

I will say that it did not like Spark Munitions loaded 77gr SMKs nearly as much.  It may do better with other 77gr loads, but it did not like that particular one.  

On the plus side, I chrono'd the Spark 77grs, and the 10 shot average was a surprising 2600fps at 70 degrees while shooting with my Vox-K suppressor.  I've found the barrel shoots various loads at velocities others are reporting with 14.5" barrels.

My carbine with this barrel was used recently at a Quantified Performance Gas Gun match at Quantico, VA.  I placed in the upper half overall and in my division, despite it being my first time shooting the gun past 100 yards, being my first precision / DMR oriented match, and having the only SBR in the field.  Targets ranged from 150 yards to 450 yards.  I had plenty of hold points left on my 1-6 with this gun and 75gr AE to theoretically reach out to over 800 yards.  

I know Centurion offers an 11.5" barrel as well, but I do not have first hand experience with them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#13]
What sort of ranges are you looking to engage and what are the sizes of the targets you’re mostly looking to hit?

Because I have a feeling when you run the numbers on 11.5” 5.56mm terminally effective ranges, you’ll find the MOA required to achieve your goals isn’t very “precision”.  For example, even a 2-2.5 MOA gun should reliably hit a pie plate out to 400yds.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top