Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#1]
My brain is so confused about what to with that sectioned round

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks bad ass
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:08:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#3]
Looks to me like they just made a fatter version of the 338L without basically any real improvement but ended up with a much bigger powder appetite and recoil impulse. They continually compare their ballistics to the 250gr .338 load because the 300gr .338 Lapua load performs essentially identically to the 375SP. This is, as far as I can see a HUGE nothingburger. If you couldn't do it with a .338L you still can't do it with a .375SP. Sure there's a little energy upside but not enough to say grace over.

The little brass ball... at first flush it looked to me like it was acting as a plug so when they filled the jacket with molten lead, there would be a hollow space in the nose. Turned out I was right. That little brass ball doesn't do anything for stability itself. It's just a plug and I suspect that it will be the source of a lot of consistency problems.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:
Looks to me like they just made a fatter version of the 338L without basically any real improvement but ended up with a much bigger powder appetite and recoil impulse. They continually compare their ballistics to the 250gr .338 load because the 300gr .338 Lapua load performs essentially identically to the 375SP. This is, as far as I can see a HUGE nothingburger. If you couldn't do it with a .338L you still can't do it with a .375SP. Sure there's a little energy upside but not enough to say grace over.

The little brass ball... at first flush it looked to me like it was acting as a plug so when they filled the jacket with molten lead, there would be a hollow space in the nose. Turned out I was right. That little brass ball doesn't do anything for stability itself. It's just a plug and I suspect that it will be the source of a lot of consistency problems.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ballisticxlr:

View Quote

If I recall correctly the Russian army played with a brass ball in the nose of a bullet to cause the bullet to tumble when the nose deformed on impact.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top